Mourinho

luckyluke

From the beeb:

Mourinho playing down cash image

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has denied that his team's success is down to spending power.

The Blues went 11 points clear at the top of the Premiership after Wednesday's 1-0 win at Manchester City.

"I know the image people have of us but I don't believe you will see many teams in the world fighting like we did to get this victory," said Mourinho.

"Some might say it is the power of money but I don't agree. This is the power of a group working together."

Chelsea have dropped points in only two matches all season - a defeat at Manchester United and a draw at Everton.

And Mourinho added: "The players have been together since the first day and are ready for anything."

Chelsea have won seven straight Premiership games since the 1-0 loss at Manchester United on 6 November.

Second-placed United drew at struggling Birmingham on Wednesday to fall further behind the leaders.

"I always say the best team wins the championship because it is over 38 matches," added Mourinho.

"We do not have to be worried. For us, it is about controlling the distance, getting three points or picking up one.

"If we had drawn against Manchester City and Manchester United had won I do not think it would make that much difference.

"The situation would have been the same. For us, it is about winning. For the others it is about waiting for our mistakes."

And with 52 points at the halfway stage of Chelsea's Premiership campaign, Mourinho said he was delighted with his team.

"We are getting incredible results, it has been a fantastic effort this season and it is a bad feeling for the teams behind us," he said.

"We go home from this win over Man City with the feeling that we are the best team."

The win at City was also significant for midfielder Frank Lampard, who withdrew from the Chelsea line-up with a virus - ending a Premiership record of 164 successive appearances.

"I want to dedicate the victory to Frank Lampard," said the Blues boss. "The team fought for him.

"He was not feeling good during the day. He tried to warm up but was feeling nauseous and had a headache. He could not manage it."

What, exactly is deluded in that speech?

Even the bit about $$$$ isn't wrong - just look at Real Madrid......... it takes more than money to build a team - and he has done that - he can slot any player he likes in and it still works.......................

Even the bit about $$$$ isn't wrong - just look at Real Madrid.........  it takes more than money to build a team - and he has done that - he can slot any player he likes in and it still works.......................

71909[/snapback]

for once i agree, anyone can spend money badly, look at our managers since Keegan

Even the bit about $$$$ isn't wrong - just look at Real Madrid.........  it takes more than money to build a team - and he has done that - he can slot any player he likes in and it still works.......................

71909[/snapback]

It helps when that particular player is a world class performer worth £20 million though!

He has used the money effectively granted, and there is a good team ethic at Chelsea, but without the ££££ they would be nowhere.

71909[/snapback]

It helps when that particular player is a world class performer worth £20 million though!

He has used the money effectively granted, and there is a good team ethic at Chelsea, but without the ££££ they would be nowhere.

71919[/snapback]

....... fair point mate, but if it was so easy as that, how come Wigan for instance are doing much better than us ????

On 2nd thoughts, don't answer that :D

I'm quite impressed with Morinho - he takes a lot of shit on himself and manages to deflect it from his team - plus he has got right up the nose of Arsene - so he can't be TOTALLY bad - and I suspect he'll se off Mad Sir Alex when and if he tries his usual mind games.........

Of course learning at the feet of SBR probably explains it all (certainly some of his odder utterances)

I see what Mourinho is getting at here tbh. It takes more than money - yes it helps, but it doesn't necessarily buy success.

It's commonly regarded that the nucleus of the Chelsea side is Cech, Terry and Lampard. All 3 were registered Chelsea players before Mourinho arrive and their combined costs are the same as we paid out for Michael Owen.

With all due respect to ( and as big a fan as I am of) Owen, I'd swap him for those 3 any day of the week...

If performace was relative to expenditure we'd have nee problem getting a champions league spot.

As for lampard, that bastard was one of the only people in my fantasy squad who was in a team that were actually playing yesterday. And he was my captain. I'll be having harsh words in the Faux Madrid training ground about his commitment tomorrow.

I see what Mourinho is getting at here tbh. It takes more than money - yes it helps, but it doesn't necessarily buy success.

It's commonly regarded that the nucleus of the Chelsea side is Cech, Terry and Lampard. All 3 were registered Chelsea players before Mourinho arrive and their combined costs are the same as we paid out for Michael Owen.

With all due respect to ( and as big a fan as I am of) Owen, I'd swap him for those 3 any day of the week...

71980[/snapback]

Why swap him with Cech? Given is good enough, if not better than Cech.

Mourinho managed to be successful at Porto and lets say they dont have the finance that Chelsea do. Sure money playsa huge part in Chelsea's success... but can you imagine where they would be with money and Souness as boss... probably where we are now.

How about a task to prove how good the man is. We sack Souness and he comes here with a limited transfer budget? Souey goes to Stamford Bridge and destroys one of the best teams in the world.

71980[/snapback]

72015[/snapback]

Utter rubbish.

71980[/snapback]

72015[/snapback]

Utter rubbish.

72050[/snapback]

Seconded....

Petr Cech is by far and above the best goalkeeper in the Premiership.

However the point I was making was not a comparison of the two goalkeepers, it was who would you choose out of Michael Owen OR Petr Cech, John Terry and Frank Lampard (without taking into account other members of the respective squads).

Cech has made two horrible blunders this season, whereas Given has clearly been the best.

72191[/snapback]

Cech is still IMO the better keeper. But I've had discussions about Given's weaknesses in the past and people refuse to see them so I'll take this one no further.

Cech has made two horrible blunders this season, whereas Given has clearly been the best.

72191[/snapback]

Cech is still IMO the better keeper. But I've had discussions about Given's weaknesses in the past and people refuse to see them so I'll take this one no further.

72367[/snapback]

Inability to kick

Inability to save penalties

Inability to command area

There's three for starters.