F.A Cup 4th Round

Bizza

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if its been mentioned but in the dummy draw they carry out moments before the real draw, Newcastle were drawn against Sunderland. :lol:

Joking aside Im not sure what would happen if we both got to the final. It really would be a policing nightmare. Just cant see any jovial pre match banter in London or on Wembley way etc.

don't reckon it would tbh the amount of police there for non-derby games is staggering. went for the Playoff final when Burnley were promoted, closest I saw a sheff u fan was on the motorway, another coach on the drive in. the groups of fans were either kept very seperate or in the places they could mix the police presence was really big

I think you underestimate it to be honest. It's different to any fixture in this country. There's been one night game against Sunderland in 21 years, there's been two three o'clock kick offs in 20 years. It's not a Blackburn v Burnley, or even a Tottenham v Arsenal or a Man Utd v Man City/Liverpool, there's no fixture like it in English football. There's no game that I know of where a city centre is cleared 90 minutes after the game to allow safe passage to the station. There'd be absolute murders in every train station, every service station, every tube station, every pub, and anyone who's from up here knows I'm right. Logistically it just couldn't happen. I'm trying to imagine walking round Wembley and up Wembley way Newcastle fans and Sunderland fans it's a fucking impossibility. Like I say ANYONE from up here knows I'm talking sense.

Not sure if its been mentioned but in the dummy draw they carry out moments before the real draw, Newcastle were drawn against Sunderland. :lol:

Joking aside Im not sure what would happen if we both got to the final. It really would be a policing nightmare. Just cant see any jovial pre match banter in London or on Wembley way etc.

don't reckon it would tbh the amount of police there for non-derby games is staggering. went for the Playoff final when Burnley were promoted, closest I saw a sheff u fan was on the motorway, another coach on the drive in. the groups of fans were either kept very seperate or in the places they could mix the police presence was really big

I think you underestimate it to be honest. It's different to any fixture in this country. There's been one night game against Sunderland in 21 years, there's been two three o'clock kick offs in 20 years. It's not a Blackburn v Burnley, or even a Tottenham v Arsenal or a Man Utd v Man City/Liverpool, there's no fixture like it in English football. There's no game that I know of where a city centre is cleared 90 minutes after the game to allow safe passage to the station. There'd be absolute murders in every train station, every service station, every tube station, every pub, and anyone who's from up here knows I'm right. Logistically it just couldn't happen. I'm trying to imagine walking round Wembley and up Wembley way Newcastle fans and Sunderland fans it's a fucking impossibility. Like I say ANYONE from up here knows I'm talking sense.

They'd probably switch it to OT if it was the League Cup. Can't do that for the FAC though.

This x 1000 tbh.

Rather have a top 7 spot in the league than a decent cup run tbh.

Ambiguous......but rather get to wembley than europe.

Seriously?

I mean even the Europa League sounds better to new players than "oh we were in the semi final at Wembley last season, sure we lost but WE WERE THERE".

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Portsmouth v Southampton last month had more travel restrictions than any North East derby I've been to. There's 2 main roads into Pompey, a motorway and a dual carriageway. The Southampton fans didn't get their tickets till they got on the buses before leaving St Mary's . Then the police completely closed the dual carriageway to other traffic for the two hours before the game. There are roads leading on to the dual carriageway once you get into Pompey and they were all barricaded off and there was police on every motorway bridge between the two cities as well. The buses were then taken one at a time down the dual carriageway to Fratton Park. It worked, but most locals thought it was a case of hugely expensive overkill. Id agree with that but there's no doubt these two despise each other in a way only 2 different cities can. The mix is too close in most other derbies with teams from the same city. They're all too cheek by jowel to take it to the violent extremes that mobs from two seperate cities do,when they have little or no social or occupational cross over.

Edited by PaddockLad

Portsmouth v Southampton last month had more travel restrictions than any North East derby I've been to. There's 2 main roads into Pompey, a motorway and a dual carriageway. The Southampton fans didn't get their tickets till they got on the buses before leaving St Mary's . Then the police completely closed the dual carriageway to other traffic for the two hours before the game. There are roads leading on to the dual carriageway once you get into Pompey and they were all barricaded off and there was police on every motorway bridge between the two cities as well. The buses were then taken one at a time down the dual carriageway to Fratton Park. It worked, but most locals thought it was a case of hugely expensive overkill. Id agree with that but there's no doubt these two despise each other in a way only 2 different cities can. The mix is too close in most other derbies with teams from the same city. They're all too cheek by jowel to take it to violent extremes that mobs from two seperate cities do,when they have little or no social or occupational cross over.

This tbh. The Manc derby has got a bit tetchier in recent years because Man C are now actual rivals and Man U don't like it, but by and large every group of lads going down to Wembley for their last derby there, every supporter of either club would have had loads of mates going down on the opposite team's buses. Any group of lads out on the piss around Mcr on a weekend will always be a mixed bag of blues and reds. It's nothing like the same in the NE.

Would rather get to Wembley or even a good cup run than finish in 7th or even 5th for that matter

We have a chance to win a major trophy if we get to Wembley but you win nothing for finishing 7th and I'm not that bothered about watching the reserves play in the Europa league

Would rather get to Wembley or even a good cup run than finish in 7th or even 5th for that matter

We have a chance to win a major trophy if we get to Wembley but you win nothing for finishing 7th and I'm not that bothered about watching the reserves play in the Europa league

You win something called visible progression and it also makes the club look better to new and existing players. No foreigner will really care that you made the final and lost it.

Rather have a top 7 spot in the league than a decent cup run tbh.

Ambiguous......but rather get to wembley than europe.

Seriously?

I mean even the Europa League sounds better to new players than "oh we were in the semi final at Wembley last season, sure we lost but WE WERE THERE".

A. Im talking about the final and

B. Im saying what I would prefer not what would sell the club to players.

I'd even take relegation for the FA cup in a heartbeat. Even if it meant a good 3-4 years in the Championship. I realise financially that's a terrible trade, and it wouldn't be such a laugh while we're out of the prem, but I think once we'd got through it all and returned to the top flight we'd soon get over it, and then we'd have the memory of the cup forever.

When Portsmouth fans look back, regardless of all the shit they've been through, I bet they can't wipe the smile off their faces thinking of that FA cup win. Even Birmingham fans with the Carling cup, it'll probably be tainted for a few years by the relegation but they're not exactly stalwarts of the top league anyway. In 20 years time, if I was a Birmingham fan I'd rather be able to say 'Remember when we won the league cup at Wembley against Arsenal?' than 'Remember when we finished 17th?'

Just wanna experience all that build up of excitement and hope and sickly nerves as we progress and not have to just console myself with 'Ah well, we were close' when it all comes to a head. Can you imagine the atmosphere around Newcastle if we actually won it?

Anyway this is all hypothetical and irrelevant and pointless and I'm up way too early.

Hmmm I can see where you are coming from, but its crazy!!! I wouldn't take it personally. Relegation and all its dangers a bit too much for me. And that one season we did spend down was painful, as I was able to see just one game on the tele throughout the year. No NUFC for a year it meant basically :suicide:

I'd even take relegation for the FA cup in a heartbeat. Even if it meant a good 3-4 years in the Championship.

You can understand owners/chairmen seeing relegation as the end of the world when it costs them tens of millions. You can understand it from managers when it usually means their jobs, or players who have that blot on their CV, and prefer all the trappings of being a premier league player. But quite honestly, I think fans have been manipulated into seeing relegation as the end of the world when it has very little impact on our matchgoing routine or enjoyment of the game.

You get close ups of all these fannies crying on the last day of the season as if their mam just died or their club has gone out of business. Do they think that if only they had survived, then next season would be the one where they challenge for the league title? There's 88 tames making up the numbers and hoping for a good cup run, any of those 88 that decide the cup isn't important are just existing in a state of financial limbo, paying good money to watch their team ensure TV income rather than chase ANY silverware.

Edited by Happy Face

Hmmm I can see where you are coming from, but its crazy!!! I wouldn't take it personally. Relegation and all its dangers a bit too much for me. And that one season we did spend down was painful, as I was able to see just one game on the tele throughout the year. No NUFC for a year it meant basically :suicide:

You should have started watching a local team in the flesh :)

You should have started watching a local team in the flesh :)

No such options mate :no

I agree with you to an extent on the relegation thing. But even for those primarily concerned with match going experience, doesn't the quality of opposition, quality of players, grounds etc make a major difference. I dont know personally, but I've often heard people talk about this shite ground and that shite place to travel too etc etc.