Fulham vs Newcastle

Toon_Man

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a first half of complete dominence I was shocked we folded in 17 second half minutes yesterday, Bit of a freak result, despite our second half, Fulham didn't merit a 3 goal winning margin.

A positive for me though is that the first half, we proved that we can play football with the ommisions of Ba and Tiote!

This is from the Guardian comments about the game. It just about sums up what happened in the second half, which I was unable to comment on effectively last night due to being fuckin mortal :ninja:

I wouldnt have had Alan Smith anywhere near the bench, nevermind on the pitch yesterday but he's right about Johnson, we completely failed to adapt in the second half.

•  
    60x60.pngpinkroom
    21 January 2012 8:47PM

Agree with points made about Shola and Best - slow and powderpuff. Best gave up on one easiily gettable ball in a way that should have shamed any professional. .. can quite see why he is out of the RoI set-up. The difference was that during the first half Jonas did an absolutely fantastic job working between and around them. Even he ran out of wind though, doing the work of three.
    Tactical credit to Jol. He saw that the Mags midfield were absolutely killing his - who couldn't put a pass together, so he put on Johnson as a deep lying CF who did his job (straight-line running /chasing) brilliantly. Pardew (or a leader on the pitch) neeeded to change his game to neuter this. Cabaye is a great/the best water-carrier/picker up of scraps but he is not a destroyer; neither is Guthrie. Oddly enough, in the absence of Tiote,Alan Smith might have been your man here today. This is the second or third time I've seen Johnson and Zamora undo in every other way superior Newcastle teams with aggressive, straight running. You always need a plan to counter that sucker punch.
    Also I felt Simpson and Santon were playing too far forward today. Lulled by first half dominance seemed to forget their abc work.
    Still Newcastle look an outstanding side in progress. Return of the three in Africa plus a bit more depth and we'll still be well in the hunt for silverware.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/21/fulham-newcastle-united-premier-league?commentpage=2#start-of-comments

Yeah, best just to put it down in the freak games folder and erase it from our memories.

Willing to do that, as long as it doesn't happen again any time soon. Perhaps we got too complacent at times too.

We've got the makings of a very good side, and yesterday won't change that. These results do happen to pretty much all clubs from time to time. I can live with the result and performance if we use it positively - if we learn from it (including Pardew). A lot went wrong in a short amount of time, and I trust in the coaching staff to analyse that effectively. They can't write it off or put it down to being a freak result, or look to blame the officials.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

I only listened to it on the radio and briefly saw some highlights at about 2 am but wasn't this down to some shocking defending?

At one point I remember seeing Colo go to ground for one of there goals. Is that not schoolboy stuff.

I would also imagine that had RTaylor played like Santon he would have been slated.

I noticed Ben Arfa scored a great goal and lost possession leading to a goal. What was the rest of his game like?

I also think a bit harsh blaming Pardew for this. Seemed to set the team out well and got the right result first half and then was probably as shell shocked as anyone else during those 17 minutes.

Just got to hope we retire Shola and someone sneak some points til the main men get back.

While we only have Best and Shola, I think I'd be tempted to let Leon play the lone role and get another midfielder in there instead of Shola.

It wasn't a freak result. Watch the Chelsea game. They absolutely raped us with straight runs behind our high line, Sturridge could have had 3/4 goals easily. Same situation but Fulham finished their chances.

We seem to have a problem with quick forwards running in behind. West Brom was another example where our centre backs weren't quick enough to play such a high line. Pardew would do well to notice the trend.

It wasn't a freak result. Watch the Chelsea game. They absolutely raped us with straight runs behind our high line, Sturridge could have had 3/4 goals easily. Same situation but Fulham finished their chances.

We're usually fine when they run in zig-zags but if they start running in straight lines, we're fucked.

The high line is fine as a rule, it gets caught out by the "straight run" when the bloody midfield can't keep hold of the ball in front of the back 4 when moving forward. The back line are advancing and are wrong footed by a quick release back at them. Doesn't excuse some shoddy defending but the "high line" wasn't the main problem.

Frankly just an appalling 20 minutes for us

Midfield 2nd half (apart from last 15 mins or so) was attrocious

Putting it down to one of those days, was thinking at half time, if we'd had a cutting edge we'd have been out of sight by the half !!

I also think a bit harsh blaming Pardew for this. Seemed to set the team out well and got the right result first half and then was probably as shell shocked as anyone else during those 17 minutes.

Agree with all the other points you made but I do feel Pardew has to take at least some of the blame for this one, the high line had landed us in a couple of nearly situation in the 1st half as well as catching them offside a few times (which it's meant to do) but once the Santon incident with Johnson happened Pardew should have changed tact we could have easily been down to 10 men there simply because Fulham caught us with the high line once.

We started the second half slowly and rather than passing it around we'd seemed to resorted to trying the long ball which lost us possession constantly, they got a wrongful pen decision but then the high line killed us. Just as we praise Pards for matches like the Man Utd one he deserves some blame for this, as KSA and others have pointed out this isn't the first time he's employed this tactic against pacy strikers and paid a price, Chelsea and West Brom being the glaring examples. We can put this down to a freak result because if we'd had Ba and Tiote I don't think we'd of lost this but Pards needs to figure out how to defend the straight runs from quick strikers on the counter. Williamson on the half way line, oh dear.

Martin Jol:

"The first half was sort of Brixton, the second half was a holiday in Jamaica."

:lol:

I'm not sure I want us to play a high line, our defence isn't exactly bursting with pace (Danny Simpson the one exception), making it very difficult to repair mistakes.

Edited by hostile_statue

We seem to have a problem with quick forwards running in behind. West Brom was another example where our centre backs weren't quick enough to play such a high line. Pardew would do well to notice the trend.

Its has become a pattern that whenever we've played the highline we've been taken apart, hope we don't see it again, it doesn't suit us and our defence has looked decent this season when not instructed to play that way for me.

Williamson was like a tortoise for one of the goals, was like watching an old man doing the Great North Run, pure shite, he is not and will never be a Newcastle level player.

Shola fuck me, I hate repeating myself, but he is the black Wayne Slobb. He is the laziest cunt who has ever breathed. There was a goal for him off Benny's shot the keeper parried it 6 yards the defenders were in there, but Shola was only coming to the shot when the fucking keeper picked it up! Lazy cunt. Best is just shite too, the difference in quality between our best eleven and our back up players is vast.

The problem with Shola is he is too happy, a benevolent giant of a man, who has no aggression or hatred--except towards Mackems. He should be locked in a cage midweek before the games, have all his hats confiscated, and be thrashed with bamboo regularly: it is only then that he will acquire the necessary anger and hatred that can be unleashed upon footballing opponents to good effect. With his current mentality we may as well play a woman in his place, he is an absolute disgrace.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Williamson was like a tortoise for one of the goals, was like watching an old man doing the Great North Run, pure shite, he is not and will never be a Newcastle level player.

Shola fuck me, I hate repeating myself, but he is the black Wayne Slobb. He is the laziest cunt who has ever breathed. There was a goal for him off Benny's shot the keeper parried it 6 yards the defenders were in there, but Shola was only coming to the shot when the fucking keeper picked it up! Lazy cunt. Best is just shite too, the difference in quality between our best eleven and our back up players is vast.

Think this is a key point. I think Williamson has generally done pretty well for us but I don't think he's got the ability of Taylor (who has never been the greatest himself) and the difference between the two clowns that we had up front and Ba (you would expect Cisse) is massive. Guthrie's come in and done well but again he's way off Tiote and also plays a very different game.

my first away game at fulham and I seen the best and worst of us!!! Talk about a contrast in performance from first half to second half!! only one player stood out and it was AMEOBI for all the wrong reasons. tis an injustice that he was given legs cos he hardly uses them at all.

apart from the disaster of the result - there was great banter in the eight bells pub and the larrik pub beforehand. Afterwards met a crowd of american toon fans with coloccini on the jersey all in curly wigs - gas men although i think i abused them about dempsey (which was deserved!).

The problem with Shola is he is too happy, a benevolent giant of a man, who has no aggression or hatred--except towards Mackems. He should be locked in a cage midweek before the games, have all his hats confiscated, and be thrashed with bamboo regularly: it is only then that he will acquire the necessary anger and hatred that can be unleashed upon footballing opponents to good effect. With his current mentality we may as well play a woman in his place, he is an absolute disgrace.

Pardew is a disgrace for picking him and then shown himself to be completely clueless by actually keeping him on the pitch. Pair of fucking tits.

my first away game at fulham and I seen the best and worst of us!!! Talk about a contrast in performance from first half to second half!! only one player stood out and it was AMEOBI for all the wrong reasons. tis an injustice that he was given legs cos he hardly uses them at all.

apart from the disaster of the result - there was great banter in the eight bells pub and the larrik pub beforehand. Afterwards met a crowd of american toon fans with coloccini on the jersey all in curly wigs - gas men although i think i abused them about dempsey (which was deserved!).

we were too late to get into the 8 bells. was one in one out by the time we got there so we had to have a couple of £4.20 pints of carling in the ground instead. :glare:

My cold light of day thought is that maybe we would have been better off if Santon had been red-carded in the first half - he would proibably then have brought Perch and Gosling on for Shola and probably HBA but I think we would have sat deeper and maybe sneaked it.