Holidays 2012

Jan

I've been a few times (twice to San Fran and Vegas). No-one has ever asked me about the Queen though. Isnt that an urban myth?!!

We get asked all the time, went during June last year on the back of the Royal Wedding and they all watched it. We ask them if they have a gun they ask us about the royal family, its a fair trade off, yes even in Vegas.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived there 3 years, and the only thing like that that I recall was the assumption that England = London. "When are you going back to London?" etc.

Mind, I worked with a dopey lass from Texas for ages, and was chatting to someone and the subject of England came up and this Texan bird pipes up "Wait, you're ENGLISH?!"...."....yes"....."Omigod!"....."Where did you think I was from?"...."Like Australia, South Africa, somewhere like that."

Tit. Another wifey I'd worked with for 3 years, a couple of days before I was leaving asked what I was most looking forward to about getting back to Australia.

I lived there 3 years, and the only thing like that that I recall was the assumption that England = London. "When are you going back to London?" etc.

Mind, I worked with a dopey lass from Texas for ages, and was chatting to someone and the subject of England came up and this Texan bird pipes up "Wait, you're ENGLISH?!"...."....yes"....."Omigod!"....."Where did you think I was from?"...."Like Australia, South Africa, somewhere like that."

Tit. Another wifey I'd worked with for 3 years, a couple of days before I was leaving asked what I was most looking forward to about getting back to Australia.

When I lived in Ispwich I used to get asked all the time which part of Ireland I came from? At that point in time I had never even been to Ireland.

Edited by Jan

When I lived in Ispwich I used to get asked all the time which part of Ireland I came from? At that point in time I had never even been to Ireland.

I got that in my first job back from America. I'd been going out with an Irish lass and knocking around with almost exclusively Irish people for 3 years though, so there might have been something to it. I couldn't see it personally though.

Really fancy one final blowout in Amsterdam this year (before the right wing mong bans everything that's fun and destroys the city's tourist industry)...

Do you think that'll actually go through? I can't see it working tbh, there'll be hell on.

Really fancy one final blowout in Amsterdam this year (before the right wing mong bans everything that's fun and destroys the city's tourist industry)...

Do you think that'll actually go through? I can't see it working tbh, there'll be hell on.

Aye I do, but it'll eventually come to light that it was a ridiculous idea and subsequently be relaxed.

I'd be gutted if they shut out the tourists from the cafes. There's one place I found that does cooked breakfast (the works for €8) and for an extra €2 they sprinkle it with an arse load of the green stuff. Utterly mongifying. :D

My other half is pregnant so that knocks my foreign jaunts on the head for the next 12 months, although we're going to Prague for a weekend in March and possibly another at the beginning of April for her 30th.

just booked 3 days in ibiza for mate's weddig, with his second stag (first one is in london ffs) there two days before the wedding. the flights were all at stupid o clock in the morning so i'm going on my tod and the wife is staying at home with the bairn. it'll be the longest i've left him alone since he was born but got to say i'm looking forward to the stag do. the groom is on about not hitting it too hard as he's getting married 48 hours later. he'll be lucky. you set up an ibiza stag do, you get an ibiza stag do.

How much cash do you think I'd need to if me and a couple of mates wanted to tour New York/Philli/Boston/Washington for 2 weeks in October/early November?

not bothered about staying in fancy hotels, hostels would do

Edited by Idioteque

just booked 3 days in ibiza for mate's weddig, with his second stag (first one is in london ffs) there two days before the wedding. the flights were all at stupid o clock in the morning so i'm going on my tod and the wife is staying at home with the bairn. it'll be the longest i've left him alone since he was born but got to say i'm looking forward to the stag do. the groom is on about not hitting it too hard as he's getting married 48 hours later. he'll be lucky. you set up an ibiza stag do, you get an ibiza stag do.

What an idiot :lol:

Not really thought this through has he?

Went there a couple of years ago and didnt once step in the Red Light district and had a fantastic time. Amsterdam is a huge place and its not all about that area you know. Some fascinating history and architecture there.

First time I went we went to the RLD and I hated it tbh. I dont take drugs and wasnt impressed with the guys coming up to us every few seconds asking if we wanted "weed, E, acid blah blah" I felt uncomfortable and didnt like it at all. It was the day the princess of the Netherlands was getting married so the place was RAMMED and I was very hungover from the ferry too which didnt help :lol:

How much cash do you think I'd need to if me and a couple of mates wanted to tour New York/Philli/Boston/Washington for 2 weeks in October/early November?

Assuming you're from UK.

Flights = £350-400

14 nts at £20 hostel bed = £280

Plus all your travel when you're there and you're spending money.

Edited by Hoon

Went there a couple of years ago and didnt once step in the Red Light district and had a fantastic time. Amsterdam is a huge place and its not all about that area you know. Some fascinating history and architecture there.

First time I went we went to the RLD and I hated it tbh. I dont take drugs and wasnt impressed with the guys coming up to us every few seconds asking if we wanted "weed, E, acid blah blah" I felt uncomfortable and didnt like it at all. It was the day the princess of the Netherlands was getting married so the place was RAMMED and I was very hungover from the ferry too which didnt help :lol:

Getting wankered/monged then appreciating the sites is all part of the charm. ;) I still have Anne Frank's house and the Heinneken brewery to visit though. Beautiful parts of the city though aye, you don't need to go to the RLD but it's unlike anywhere I've ever seen. Only thing that came close was the one in Madrid, but that was made all the better by the American Evangelist camped on a soapbox at the end of it claiming that syphillis originated from when man fornicated with a sheep.

Been to Amsterdam twice and never had a dealer come up to me. No point seeing as it's readily available everywhere!

Getting wankered/monged then appreciating the sites is all part of the charm. ;) I still have Anne Frank's house and the Heinneken brewery to visit though. Beautiful parts of the city though aye, you don't need to go to the RLD but it's unlike anywhere I've ever seen. Only thing that came close was the one in Madrid, but that was made all the better by the American Evangelist camped on a soapbox at the end of it claiming that syphillis originated from when man fornicated with a sheep.

Been to Amsterdam twice and never had a dealer come up to me. No point seeing as it's readily available everywhere!

Like I say, I went there once, that happend, not been back since. Stayed away last time I wnet.

Assuming you're from UK.

Flights = £350-400

Gonna need shit loads then, my 21st in April just going to ask for money off everyone and save like fuck till then

Assuming you're from UK.

Flights = £350-400

I was in DC last year and the hotels are not cheap also its at least $60 from the airport to the centre of DC in a taxi.

I've not been but I'd have though you'd want a fair wedge of coin for your spending money over there. It's not cheap anyway and there is a never ending list of things to do.

Be worth every penny mind but you'd probably be better off somewhere off and having a shorter break if finances are tight.

Worth looking into flying in to one airport / out on another too, works out more or less the same price if it's with the same airline e.g. KLM/Air France from NCL

Edited by Hoon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking the mrs to Berlin next Saturday for her birthday - Going to be there for 3 days. I'm really looking forward to it. So far I've made a reservation at the unsicht-Bar, which is an 'eat in the dark' restaurant which could make for an interesting experience, and there are a couple of museums I'd like to see too, like the DDR museum for example. Can anyone recommend any other 'must do' activities whilst we're there? We'll also probably pay a visit to the Reichstag, the TV tower, and maybe Checkpoint Charlie if time permits. Regretting only booking 3 days come to think of it.