More Luque talk

Emre

Real-Magpies swap mooted    Wed, Dec 28 2005 16:39

Real Madrid could be ready to offer Newcastle £8million plus Thomas Gravesen for Albert Luque, according to reports in Spain. 

Luque has failed to make an impact at St James' Park following his arrival from Deportivo La Coruna and reports have suggested that both Real and Barcelona are showing an interest in the player.

A hamstring injury has not helped the player's cause but now he is back to full fitness, the Magpies are keen to see what he can do and may turn down all bids.

Chairman Freddie Shepherd issued a hands off warning last week and insisted Luque was going nowhere, but that has not stopped the rumours that Real are keen.

Despite Shepherd's denial, the club may find it tempting if Real's bid turns out to be genuine. It would mean Newcastle almost getting back what they forked out for Luque, while they would also get a quality player in the form of Gravesen thrown in as well.

Graeme Souness has been told he has no money to spend on new players in the window and if he got £8million for Luque then he could be keen on a deal.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com

At least give the lad a chance. :D

I'd like to see him fully-fit, up front before giving up on him, but £8mil + Gravesen is worth considering.

EDIT: wonder if the would consider throwing a Woodgate loan into the deal?

72025[/snapback]

Opening a can of worms like, but it does appear that Souness signed Luque to play on the left in place of Robert. Despite injury problems Souness has had the chance to select Luque up front but hasn't done it. I don't think you'll get your wish, mate. For £8m plus a quality player who also happens to be proven in the premier league, I'd accept the offer. This is a very good deal if it's true.

I heard a rumour that Luque was signed with the view to him going to Real Madrid as Real didn't expect to get any kind of deal out the Depor chairman.

In exchange we get a modest increase on the fee. We're happy to keep in with Madrid in case Woodgate becomes available and also because Freddie likes the idea of being closely associated to such a big-name, Adidas-backed club.

I heard a rumour that Luque was signed with the view to him going to Real Madrid as Real didn't expect to get any kind of deal out the Depor chairman.

In exchange we get a modest increase on the fee. We're happy to keep in with Madrid in case Woodgate becomes available and also because Freddie likes the idea of being closely associated to such a big-name, Adidas-backed club.

72051[/snapback]

:D

REAL MADRID are to press ahead in their pursuit of Newcastle United winger Albert Luque - with the Magpies amazingly ready to bring up Jonathan Woodgate's name in any negotiations.

Newcastle have maintained in recent weeks that they are unwilling to offload their £9.5m summer acquisition at this stage, having never seen him in full flow after a serious hamstring injury.

But sources in Spain are insistent the Madrid giants, desperately seeking a turnaround in fortunes, have made Luque one of their top targets when the January transfer window opens.

Such is Real's determination to land the left-winger, who is also a Spanish international with hopes of playing in next summer's World Cup finals, they are prepared to offer midfielder Thomas Gravesen in exchange.

Gravesen, prior to moving to the Bernabeu from Everton, was regularly tracked by former Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson but Graeme Souness is already well blessed with numbers in midfield.

But, with Newcastle's defence still leaking goals for fun, Souness and St James' Park chairman Freddy Shepherd are exploring the possibility of taking Woodgate back to Tyneside in a sensational move.

Shepherd has never tried to hide the fact he would like the Middlesbrough-born centre-back to head back to the club he left in August last year at some stage of his playing career.

With Woodgate still struggling to regain full fitness in the Spanish capital, Newcastle could be ready to suggest a loan deal involving the England defender. The switch would, on paper, suit all parties.

Woodgate, who has struggled to overcome hamstring and back problems since his £13.4m move, is desperate to prove his fitness in an attempt to force his way into Sven-Goran Eriksson's World Cup plans.

Real are keen to see the centre-back rediscover the form that persuaded them to pay such a hefty transfer fee, while Newcastle are in urgent need of a consistent performer at the heart of the defence.

It remains to be seen whether a temporary Woodgate switch back to St James' would signal the end of Luque's short, four-month stay in the North-East.

When Real do make an official approach for the former Deportivo La Coruna man he is sure to be tempted by the prospect of playing with Raul, Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo and Robinho in La Liga.

And, with Newcastle likely to rebuff an £8m-plus Gravesen deal, the likelihood of Woodgate returning to the Premiership, albeit on loan, could increase greatly.

Souness, who is happy with his midfield options provided they can all stay fit, is likely to have one of his summer buys back in the thick of things at Tottenham tomorrow lunch-time.

The New Year's Eve trip to White Hart Lane could come at exactly the right time for Turkish midfielder Emre to return to the fold.

He would have missed Wednesday's postponed game with Charlton anyway, but could be back in a Newcastle shirt in North London after shaking off his hamstring niggle.

We don't need Gravesen IMO.  Good player, but we've got Parker and neither of them is going to want to sit on the bench.

72235[/snapback]

So select them both.

Potentially a good, solid centre of midfield there. With some flair out wide, and some pace and movement up front, it could work quite well imo. Oh, and some new defenders anarl, nearly forgot about that.

What on earth has Graeme done with that £50m?

Edited by Howaythelads

I would take Graveson in a minute...

We go on about having to many midfielders but for me we only have two central midfielders of any quality in Parker and Emre. And what with Emres poor injury record continuing in his Toon career i would snap Graveson up.

Whilst i feel Luque is a fantastic talent (as seen in La Liga) if the money was put to good use it could actually be a very good move.

Gravesen is not a holding midfielder. More a box-to-box - he was very important at Everton going forward. Sounds like a good deal to me, but means one less striker... whether he'd ever play there we don't know, but Ameobi/Chopra is back up does not sound exciting.

We don't need Gravesen IMO.  Good player, but we've got Parker and neither of them is going to want to sit on the bench.

72235[/snapback]

yes we do. A proven quality performer, consider Emre is always croceked, and fuckwit wants to offload Bowyer, it doesn't leave much.

Whats the odds that despite spending 50m quid last summer, we will go into this summer needing a replacement for Shearer, and a replacement for Robert ... oopps Luque ... along with a left back, centre back, an ageing Solano and hopefully not owen when the penny drops he is playing for a club going nowhere with a joke manager [although he won't say it out aloud like Bellamy did, not that it makes any difference other than amplify the fact that Bellamy actually still wanted to play for the club and has been hounded for it by the blind Souness backers]

Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd has moved to quell speculation of forward Alberto Luque moving to Real Madrid.

Shepherd told The Evening Chronicle: "I have heard these stories and because they are still there I have actually spoken to Real Madrid in the past couple of days, just like I did with Manchester United when there was talk they wanted to sign Shay Given.

"Real have admitted they are admirers of Luque, and indeed it was they who recommended him to us when we bought him from Deportivo La Coruna in August.

"But they have stressed to me that they are not looking for a striker at the moment, and don't forget they are currently without a manager."

HOUSE! Think I've just won LeazesMag Bingo: a post mentioning Robert, Bellamy and Souness in a thread about something else. Where do I claim my prize?

:blush:

72328[/snapback]

Those sort of comments are more common than rat shit in a sewer..... :D

HOUSE! Think I've just won LeazesMag Bingo: a post mentioning Robert, Bellamy and Souness in a thread about something else. Where do I claim my prize?

:blush:

72328[/snapback]

Those sort of comments are more common than rat shit in a sewer..... :D

72372[/snapback]

Y'know what, I actually used to agree with Leazes. :blush:

72235[/snapback]

yes we do. A proven quality performer, consider Emre is always croceked, and fuckwit wants to offload Bowyer, it doesn't leave much.

Whats the odds that despite spending 50m quid last summer, we will go into this summer needing a replacement for Shearer, and a replacement for Robert ... oopps Luque ... along with a left back, centre back, an ageing Solano and hopefully not owen when the penny drops he is playing for a club going nowhere with a joke manager [although he won't say it out aloud like Bellamy did, not that it makes any difference other than amplify the fact that Bellamy actually still wanted to play for the club and has been hounded for it by the blind Souness backers]

72324[/snapback]

I note some of you are taking the piss. Well, as far as I can tell, everything LM says in this post looks like a good prediction to me.