Toon_Man

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take relegation if it meant winning the FA Cup

Why?

Well, to win the FA Cup

It's a very extreme view Chris as they don't go hand in hand (unless you're Birmingham...), but I see your point. As terrible as relegation is, the club would recover. To have the memory of a cup win would last forever, the stuff of legends.

There's no reason why we can't beat any team left in the cup, but then again we could get stuffed by Brighton. May as well give ourselves the best chance possible and go full strength.

Well, to win the FA Cup

:lol:

I can see your point. To those saying "idiotic", would you have rather stayed up in 2009 or gone down and won the cup? We've not suffered too badly since then. We're further behind the 'big five' (vomits) than we were a few years ago but I'm not sure how much of that is attributal directly to relegation rather than Ashley's practices.

Well, to win the FA Cup

:lol:

I can see your point. To those saying "idiotic", would you have rather stayed up in 2009 or gone down and won the cup? We've not suffered too badly since then. We're further behind the 'big five' (vomits) than we were a few years ago but I'm not sure how much of that is attributal directly to relegation rather than Ashley's practices.

Portsmouth and Birmingham have both won the cup and been relegated.

Birmingham won a cup, not the cup. Portsmouuth weren't relegated the year they won the cup either. Apart from that though.. ;)

1st point, fair dos. :)

2nd point was more in response to the assertion that people would rather win a cup and get relegated, than stay up. I was saying that their cup success hasn't done either of those teams much good. If there were examples of teams winning a cup, being relegated not long after and then returning in the same manner as we had, I'd of course want the cup win. As it is, the limited examples of cup winning teams going down soon after seems to show they don't handle the pressures of lower league football all too well ;)

Birmingham won a cup, not the cup. Portsmouuth weren't relegated the year they won the cup either. Apart from that though.. ;)

1st point, fair dos. :)

2nd point was more in response to the assertion that people would rather win a cup and get relegated, than stay up. I was saying that their cup success hasn't done either of those teams much good. If there were examples of teams winning a cup, being relegated not long after and then returning in the same manner as we had, I'd of course want the cup win. As it is, the limited examples of cup winning teams going down soon after seems to show they don't handle the pressures of lower league football all too well ;)

Are you being deliberately dense about this?

I struggle to see how relevant the plights of Portsmouth (relegated some time after winning the FA cup and yet to return) or Birmingham (yet to have a full season in the Championship after going down & winning the league cup and in the playoff positions anyway) are relevent in the context of the knowledge of how well WE peformed when WE were relegated a few years ago.

Your suggestion is that winning the cup somehow hinders a team's ability to return to the top flight. The cup runs may well contribute to their poor league form which lead them to be relegated, which everyone understands. The factors preventing them returning are many but I fail to see how winning the cup itself would be one of them. If anything, winning a cup would lead to retainment/attraction of players despite relegation and therefore actually improve a team's chances of promotion. The fact that Portsmouth haven't and Birmingham are not odds on to (although again, they're not doing too badly) is more likely due to them being poor enough to be relegated in the first place.

Edited by luckyluke

Are you being deliberately dense about this?

I struggle to see how relevant the plights of Portsmouth (relegated some time after winning the FA cup and yet to return) or Birmingham (yet to have a full season in the Championship after going down & winning the league cup and in the playoff positions anyway) are relevent in the context of the knowledge of how well WE peformed when WE were relegated a few years ago.

Your suggestion is that winning the cup somehow hinders a team's ability to return to the top flight. The cup runs may well contribute to their poor league form which lead them to be relegated, which everyone understands. The factors preventing them returning are many but I fail to see how winning the cup itself would be one of them. If anything, winning a cup would lead to retainment/attraction of players despite relegation and therefore actually improve a team's chances of promotion. The fact that Portsmouth haven't and Birmingham are not odds on to (although again, they're not doing too badly) is more likely due to them being poor enough to be relegated in the first place.

Quite the charmer, aren't you? :lol: My point, which is fairly obvious, is that it wasn't stated as "I hope we win the cup" (which of course everybody does), it was "I'd take a cup win and relegation", which is frankly fucking stupid. Relegation isn't a good thing, ever. The clean out and the subsequent rebuilding of the team ethos was not dependent on relegation.

Or are you just being deliberately stupid?

Why didn't you say that then, rather than quoting examples that have a lot less relevance than our own history and consequences of relegation, which you have ignored.

I could see the point you were making, I pointing out that your logic was grossly flawed, which I found surprising for you. I was genuinely asking if you were being thick on purpose.

Would you rather have stayed up in 2009 or gone down as we did but with also winning the cup, knowing how well we are doing now? I certainly would have preferred the latter. I'm not sure if I would have said the same had you asked me in April 2009 though. Maybe I still would have anyway.

long ago taht we aren't champions of something, this FA cup is the great opportunity :)

Absolutely! Got to be taking it seriously this year. We're safe in the top half of the league without genuinely challenging the top 4. Let's go all out for the cup for once! Best 11 to start each game in the competition please Padew. It's our best chance in years.

If things had've gone our way against Blackburn in the CC we'd only have had to beat two Championship sides and we'd be on our way to Wembley. <_<

Not worth thinking about.

Difficult. I sometimes still wake up in cold sweat at night screaming "sucker-punching cuuUUNNTTS!"

We play better against teams who try to get it down and pass. Poyet's team do exactly that he says they know of no other way of playing. We have better individual players so we should in effect win the game. Keep one of Shola or Best off the pitch though ffs. I think Brighton could be a good club one day, their support is one of the best in the country for what they've been through. I remember a game on SKY in the Vans Trophy away at Shrewsbury and they had 1500 up on a Wednesday night, they're a good club certainly no smaller than Stoke, and probably more worthy of Premiership status than Wigan or Fulham, it's not like they've spent millions to get on the periphery of the play offs. Still I think we'll win 1-2. That would dee.

Without wishing to sound Norwegian, I really hope Ben Arfa plays from the off. I'd play him and Best up front but I think he'll probably start on the right again if he gets the nod with Best and Shola as the strikers.