2015 general election

DEADMAN

general election 2015  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will judge on individual manifestos but will probably be Lib Dems. Theyre closest to my ideology and whilst I understand people being angry with them for the coalition I think there was very little else they could do. In the situation the nations in we need governance and imo having no coalition would have been worse. If I believe anyone else is the better option at the time i'll vote for them though. I hate people that follow parties as if theyre a football team. 'Tories/Labour are great and everything the others do is wrong' Nerh

Will judge on individual manifestos but will probably be Lib Dems. Theyre closest to my ideology and whilst I understand people being angry with them for the coalition I think there was very little else they could do. In the situation the nations in we need governance and imo having no coalition would have been worse. If I believe anyone else is the better option at the time i'll vote for them though. I hate people that follow parties as if theyre a football team. 'Tories/Labour are great and everything the others do is wrong' Nerh

If that was the case, I'd be telling you now that I'll be voting LibDem in 3 years time seeing as they got my vote last time around.

I'd exercise caution on the phrase 'closest to my ideology' too. A good proportion believe that the LibDems have let them down on account of going against what they pledged in their 2010 manifesto. To that end, some may consider LibDem ideology being a bunch of untrustworthy cunts. Hardly the type of people I'd want to be associated with or vote in.

I'd exercise caution on the phrase 'closest to my ideology' too. A good proportion believe that the LibDems have let them down on account of going against what they pledged in their 2010 manifesto. To that end, some may consider LibDem ideology being a bunch of untrustworthy cunts. Hardly the type of people I'd want to be associated with or vote in.

That's because people don't get that the whole point of a coalition is that neither party gets to enforce their manifesto in full (not that that ever really happens in a one-party government either, but still). We're just not used to the concept of compromise government in this country - foreign muck, don't trust it - and obviously with the inevitable collapse of the LibDems at the next general, we won't have another coalition for at least a generation anyway, so everyone will be happy. Except the LibDems. :lol:

Although obviously it was ridiculous for one of the key compromises made by the LibDems to be on tuition fees, given their typical voter base. It overshadows a lot of the actually quite decent work they've done in keeping the Tories to mere "evil" rather than "galactically evil".

Although obviously it was ridiculous for one of the key compromises made by the LibDems to be on tuition fees, given their typical voter base. It overshadows a lot of the actually quite decent work they've done in keeping the Tories to mere "evil" rather than "galactically evil".

My point in a nutshell.

Well I didn't vote last time anyway since I was 17. I don't give a shit about tuition fees so that compromise made no difference to me, if all parties had similar manifestos to last time then i'll vote Lib Dems, and since none ever change that much I presume it'll be Lib Dems. I mean i'm 99.99% sure I won't vote Labour but if they promised something I liked of course i'd do it, it's just very unlikely.

Well I didn't vote last time anyway since I was 17. I don't give a shit about tuition fees so that compromise made no difference to me, if all parties had similar manifestos to last time then i'll vote Lib Dems, and since none ever change that much I presume it'll be Lib Dems. I mean i'm 99.99% sure I won't vote Labour but if they promised something I liked of course i'd do it, it's just very unlikely.

I'm alright, Jack..... ;)

Seriously though if you believe that Liberal Democrats (true Lib Dems that is) is closest to your own ideology, then you should really be giving a shit about tuition fees.

Oh and for the record, I think the tuition changes are fair, people complain about them hurting the poor, but the poorest get the first two years paid for them, so people in situations like mine are actually better off, if i'd have gone to Uni under the new situation i'd have been better off than I am now so why should I be complaining with what they're doing? People say it was a key pledge, but that was more because admittedly a lot of students vote for the Lib Dems, and the Lib Dems said they wouldn't raise fees. However Conservatives didn't say they wouldn't raise fees, and it's not as if the Lib Dems with their 9% of seats can swagger into parliament, say they want this, that and everything and expect it. They're the minority party in this coalition and are pretty much subordinate to the Conservatives, however they are keeping them in check and everything they do get right is met with a "WELL WHAT ABOUT TUITION FEES" response. Labour in 1997 said they'd have a referendum on the voting system, but they didn't, loads of different policies that every party does don't end up in fruition, and it's unfair on the Lib Dems using this one policy against them tbf.

The issue is that you're suggesting it's a minor issue. It's anything but.

And that is why they're constantly being beaten around the head about it. Meenzer suggested earlier that of all the policies in their manifesto, they could have picked a better one to sacrifice without alienating a good proportion of their electorate.

Well in the grand scheme of things, is it that important? That's my point. It's like the whole abortion thing in American politics, it's a fringe issue that is being put to the forefront. Anyone who votes a party purely based on their opinions on tuition fees needs to look more at the grand picture. Like you say, i'm alright Jack, any students that think "I don't care about anything else will they make my fees cheaper" is delusional and only cares about themselves. Anyway like I said I probably will vote Lib Dems, but not only do issues matter but the people standing for my local seat (obviously). If it's still Cleethorpes it's a tricky one, the Conservative who's just taken control is a nobhead, and the bint that he ousted was one of 'Blairs Babes' (despite the fact she's gross), they're both shite and I guess it depends who the Lib Dems/other parties/Labour if anyone else put up for election.

I think you're right insofar as it's not the hugest issue in reality - you just have to look at the state of the country to see that. But it's suicide in political terms because of the way the relationship between parties and their voter base works. I don't think the LibDems necessarily had much choice in the matter really - let the coalition fall over it (or don't enter into the coalition in the first place) and they'd have been accused of being incapable of mature government, not fit or willing to assume power when the opportunity finally came their way, etc. Damned if you do and damned if you don't, basically. So in a way maybe it's better to bite the bullet and hope that a five-year term is enough time for them to "sell" the good they've done and undo some of the damage over tuition fees. Unfortunately (for them and anyone looking for a more diverse choice than "red" or "blue") I suspect the opposite will be true - I can see them losing the vast majority of their MPs next time (and Clegg is definitely a goner) unless they effectively campaign as the "coalition" and persuade the Tories to get their supporters to vote tactically across the board. But that'd be a pretty tough sell for a party looking to improve their battered reputation. :dunno:

Oh definitely, I appreciate many voters won't want to vote for them and I understand, especially the students who make up such a large proportion of their core support. Like I said though I still think i'll probably vote for them (unless any other party 'woo's me' or anything). Don't think they'll come out from this well at all but I don't see myself voting for Labour or Conservatives purely because a party I like more won't get in, I know some see it as a wasted vote but even so.

Completely irrelevant who I vote for as there can't be many more secure labour seats in the UK then this one. Was a big swing to the lib dems in the last election here and labour still had an 11000 vote majority.

Voted Lib Dem last time, and its not exactly gone how I'd hoped. Would have preferred to see a conservative minority government this time with deals being cut for each individual policy. For a lot of issues there was support from at least 2 of the main 3 parties meaning it could have worked reasonably well. Or alternatively it would've blown up in a spectacular display of bickering and we'd have another election anytime now!

I reckon the second would be the case Rikko, with the other election having such a low turnout it'd be even more of a minority government, could have ended up in a Belgium situation. All the parties would try point scoring with policies, it's a shame too because as you say if it was a minority government and went with your first idea it'd be quite a good system.