Normal conveyance or a right to be pissed off?

wykikitoon

I am going through the motions of buying a house and at the moment I am running out of patience with our solicitor and her lack of communication.

There are 4 people in the Chain:

First time Buyer -> Buyer A -> Us -> Buyer B.

We went to the solicitor two weeks ago to go through paperwork. She asked when we wanted to move, we chose a date of the 23rd and asked if that was realistic. She had some paperwork to sort out and we gave her the remainder of the week. We didnt hear anything and then a week following the meeting we still hadnt heard anything so called her and she was 'busy' we left a message to get back and nothing. This happend a couple of times until we did get in touch with her near the end of the week.

During this conversation she asked when we wanted to move. We were a tad shocked and thought WTF, we have had this conversation once before. We also asked if certain paperwork had been done and she said it had. Fair enough. So she went off to see if people were ok with the 23rd and if not we can do the 26th.

We havent heard since late on Friday. We have had more information out of the Estate Agent than the solicitor.

According to the Estate Agent the FTB when buying the house of Buyer A, his solicitor (The FTB) has noticed a covenant has been broken so their doing paperwork for that.

Now, shouldnt our Solicitor be keeping us up to date about this? I understand if there is nothing to tell, but a courtesy call or an email saying so would help. The communication from her and her office is shy of dogshit.

I remember the icing on the cake was that there was a cheque I was owed on completion of sale of my flat / buying our house. He'd previously made the mistake of making it payable to both me and my lass (we didn't have a joint account and technically it was my money anyway) so I rang him and he said he'd sort it straight away and I could come up to the office to collect (about a 20-30 minute drive). When I showed up he hadn't sorted it and had fucked off to play golf. What a cunt :lol:

I am seriously thinking about speaking to the Law ombudsman about it.

I cant book time off work or we cant even book removals etc because we cant organise it. Now this isnt fully my solicitors fault, but her communication or lack of is unacceptable.

Sounds about the norm to me like. Solicitors are twats to a man. ( ;) for those on here plying the trade...you twats).

We were in court yesterday. Our fella told us "it starts at 9.45 so be there at 9". The clerk of the court arrives at 10.25 and says "we should be ok to start on time"

"eh?" we says, "what time we meant to start like?"

"10.30"

Half an hour later, it's all done and dusted bar the costs awarded, and the judge berates our fella for claiming 5 hours for the day. It was all done and dusted in 30 minutes.

Greedy ignorant overcharging fuckers.

( ;) for those on here plying the trade...you twats).

Edited by Happy Face

I remortgaged last year and the solicitor was just as bad as the two mentioned.

I ended up chasing the loan companies I was paying off myself in the end.

Even then when they had all the docs the lass said she "might" be able to process it in a couple of days.

I spoke to the boss and hit him with a good rant and had the money in my account 20 minutes later.

I remortgaged last year and the solicitor was just as bad as the two mentioned.

I ended up chasing the loan companies I was paying off myself in the end.

Even then when they had all the docs the lass said she "might" be able to process it in a couple of days.

I spoke to the boss and hit him with a good rant and had the money in my account 20 minutes later.

We would rant to the buss, but she is one of the owners of the firm :(

Now, shouldnt our Solicitor be keeping us up to date about this? I understand if there is nothing to tell, but a courtesy call or an email saying so would help. The communication from her and her office is shy of dogshit.

If there's nothing to tell, they won't bother. Some solicitors are just shit. Unfortunately the stage you're at it wouldn't be worth withdrawing your instruction and taking your business elsewhere. You'll just have to know for next time and give appropriate feedback. Could always lodge a formal written complaint, but as she's one of the owners you never know how seriously it will be taken.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily take everything the estate agent says at face value - they're often several days out of date with their information. In any chain you always get the chinese whispers factor as well so it can be very difficult to get correct information.

Not much help. I know, but I hope you can get sorted.

If there's nothing to tell, they won't bother. Some solicitors are just shit. Unfortunately the stage you're at it wouldn't be worth withdrawing your instruction and taking your business elsewhere. You'll just have to know for next time and give appropriate feedback. Could always lodge a formal written complaint, but as she's one of the owners you never know how seriously it will be taken.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily take everything the estate agent says at face value - they're often several days out of date with their information. In any chain you always get the chinese whispers factor as well so it can be very difficult to get correct information.

Not much help. I know, but I hope you can get sorted.

I have said that to the gfriend. They will be after their money and will say anything.

I understand that if there is anything to say they dont have to call us daily, but when they speak to us a week later and ask us AGAIN when we want to move its a bit out of order.

Its so frustrating.

The problem here is obviously that your solicitor is a woman.

Seriously though, these things invariably fuck up and solicitors, even in the case of representing a victim, often treat people like shite. This may have something to do with having to justify every 6 or 10 minutes of their working day, and a certain percentage of each week must be chargeable work. Getting back to you to answer or update they may be unable to charge for, or can't be fucked to document it, so just fuck it off.

Also, something about that profession can make people think they are special. So-called accountants have similar issues.

Edited by trophyshy

Mine was a tosser too. In the end I had to storm the office and demand they get it sorted. (We each had a solictor in the same company so it should have been easy.......it wasn't)!

I am going through the motions of buying a house and at the moment I am running out of patience with our solicitor and her lack of communication.

House! :lol:

It seems to be a common theme with conveyance solicitors. Mine did a good job but any time I was in to see her she acted as if I was an inconvenience and a drain on her time. This was when the property market was hitting rock bottom, you'd have thought she'd have been glad of the business.

Estate agent just called the gfriend to say the FTB is all set to go now.

We have heard fuck all from our solicitor all week. Complete joke, we have left 3 messages this week and had ZERO call backs.

My last house move was the conveyancing from hell, the whole process took 5.5 months, had solicitors going bankrupt, being inept and downright lying. They (the people whos house i was buyings solicitor) agreed to completion date without consulting their client who was on holiday for 2 weeks. Cost me £1200 in storage, hotel bills etc. Complained but didn't even get so much as an apology.

Best advice i can give you about conveyancing is pick a local solicitor you can pop in and bother for information. You pay a bit more but its much must easier to get information.

Rikko. What you up to these days? If I remember rightly, you were studying (bumhole) engineering at Uni?

I graduated from Bumhole (Chemical) engineering 5 years ago, got a job playing with submarines in Plymouth for 4 years then moved to an engineering consultancy firm in Manchester last year. Other then that nothing much.

This thing is starting to concern me now. Maybe somebody can shed light on it.

The Person at the end of the chain asked for a move date of 21st of Feb. We have all agreed that this is acceptable except for the FTB. Apparently, we are all now awaiting for the FTB to agree and pay his deposit to get the ball moving.

Our solicitor is apparently chasing a date and exchange on a daily basis now but the FTB solicitor is not taking calls are returning them. We are now worried that the FTB cant pay the deposit.

Surly the FTB shouldnt of got this far down the process without having a deposit?