the Craig Bellamy enigma...you decide!

cbftoon

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that texting incident, but that bit about having a go at the young lads? I doubt it. And I cant remember him backing off from a confrontation on the pitch, why would he be that kind of person off it? I think Bellamy's stretching it a lot. Wanker.

Don't mistake Shearer for a Newcastle United hero.....played 2 seasons too long just to break Jackie Milburn's record, indulged by Shepherd, Souness and Roeder. "no man bigger than the club"?....Shearer thought he was, and with help from those above him who could argue that he was treated as if he was? That pissed Bellamy off as much as anything I'd imagine. Bellamy wasn't perfect either, but when you've someone as fuckin useless as Souness blowing kisses to a clapped out Shearer I think my younger self would've reacted the same way.

Don't mistake Shearer for a Newcastle United hero

What? :lol:

Also he scored 33 goals in his last 2 seasons. If he did that when he was past it then we might as well sell Cisse and Shola now

Edited by TheRollingStones

Don't mistake Shearer for a Newcastle United hero.....played 2 seasons too long just to break Jackie Milburn's record, indulged by Shepherd, Souness and Roeder. "no man bigger than the club"?....Shearer thought he was, and with help from those above him who could argue that he was treated as if he was? That pissed Bellamy off as much as anything I'd imagine. Bellamy wasn't perfect either, but when you've someone as fuckin useless as Souness blowing kisses to a clapped out Shearer I think my younger self would've reacted the same way.

While I respect you as a reasonably knowledgeable older toon fan, it's ridiculous saying the clubs all time leading scorer, who turned down the biggest club in the world to come home, isn't a hero.

I know where PLs coming from, Sir Bobby was looking to the future as he recognised that a good side couldn't carry a striker who was past his best. Souness and Shepherd just wanted Alan to go for Milburn's record to take peoples mind off the increasing dross that was happening on the pitch. He was indulged and this wouldn't have been the case had he been at a real top club.

He's a NUFC icon but isn't one of my personal favourites as it happens. Doesn't mean I never cheered the bloke though!

He was top scorer every season he played iirc, plus was the best crosser we had. May have been a twat but then so was Bellamy. Its just you didnt mind when they were on your side.

What? :lol:

Also he scored 33 goals in his last 2 seasons. If he did that when he was past it then we might as well sell Cisse and Shola now

Think half of them were in the intertoto :lol: "Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me" sums up how I feel I suppose, agree with Howman, never stopped me somewhat hypocritically cheering him hundreds of times. But in the big scheme of things, I think the club suffered towards the end because of the way he was treated by those in charge.

He was top scorer every season he played iirc, plus was the best crosser we had. May have been a twat but then so was Bellamy. Its just you didnt mind when they were on your side.

A better crosser than Robert and Solano? righty-o :lol: That's what he went around saying man!

Nobby was my fave player in recent times bar none. Not the quickest but aye brilliant at putting a ball in usually from deeper. But my point really was how good Shearer was at crossing. Robert was a bit more direct dont you think?

bellamy was a twat but we've missed a player like him ever since he left. wayward finisher but a defender's nightmare, the amount of running he put in. he helped extend shearer's career too with all the running he did for him.

if i were shearer i'd probably have felt like knocking the cunt out too though

Edited by Dr Gloom

Nobby was my fave player in recent times bar none. Not the quickest but aye brilliant at putting a ball in usually from deeper. But my point really was how good Shearer was at crossing. Robert was a bit more direct dont you think?

Not entirely sure what you mean?...Robert was even slightly better than Solano for me. Shearer should have gone around the same time they did. Shearer put a great cross in for Rob Lee at Wembley v Chelsea in 2000 and...that's it as far as I can remember. That's probably a bit unfair on him, but his crossing wasn't what he was in the team for, although in his younger and sprightlier day he had no problem pulling his marker wide and getting a ball in. I do remember him saying that though "am the best crosser at the club" :lol: not for me he wasn't...

I know Robert is the worst ever corner taker in the history of football,and that includes Sunday morning football.His corners weren't even head hight when they reached the penalty box.He used to run down the side of the pitch then swing his left boot.Impossible to get the ball any near to being a good corner.

All this talk of crossing remind me I bloody hope we can sign someone who can provide a quality delivery consistently. Even if a direct connection isnt made how many goals are scored from fumbles/confusion caused by a good ball in the area. What an absolute massive area we are so lacking in.

I know Robert is the worst ever corner taker in the history of football,and that includes Sunday morning football.His corners weren't even head hight when they reached the penalty box.He used to run down the side of the pitch then swing his left boot.Impossible to get the ball any near to being a good corner.

Eh? He used to hit the first man a fair few times but thats the sort of player he was, unpredictable.And on just as many ocassions his deliveries were unstoppable. Have you seen Cabaye take corners btw?

He used to hit the first man,at knee hight,everytime.That was very predictable. I have seen Cabaye take corners and he is certainly better than Robert,who is the worst ever. What is an unstoppable delivery corner kick by the way.His freekicks were something else on occasions mind.

Didn't Robert get top assists in the league or second to Beckham two years running? Or did I dream that?

More importantly though, Alan Shearer was the best goal scorer this club has ever had, was still better than several other players in the team and certainly more dedicated right up to his retirement. We sorely miss someone of his calibre now and I'm 99% sure we'll never see his like again at our club. Not because the game has moved on but because there just aren't players like him around anymore with that sort of ability or football brain as well as loyalty to their hometown club. Alan had some faults towards the end bu tthey were far outweighed by what he brought to team at the time and what we had available, actually or potentially.

I just don't understand any Toon fans that think otherwise (just my opinion), the same as any Toon fans that slate Kevin Keegan's ability as our manager.

Getting back to Bellamy, he was quick and entertaining to watch when he was arguing with other team's defences but in general he was poisonous. His disrespect of Sir Bobby and other senior figures at the club will never sit well with me - personally I wouldn't believe a word he says, he's shown time and again that he's a prick on and off the pitch with nothing to say other than giving it the 'Billy Big Bollocks' without backing it up.

Bellamy was a twat, but he was our twat. I was certainly no Souness fan but he was in the wrong when he faked the injury and wouldn't play. Whatever issues he had with Souness he should have put his head down and grafted for us, if it wasn't working then the manager would have eventually got the boot..which he did. I think he just has one of those personalities where he could start a fight in an empty room. A not very professional professional. Still, I would have liked him to stay here. I think his transfer history does say a lot about his personality. I think a lot of managers just don't really like him being around cos of his gob.

Loved Bellamy and thought Souness was mental to put his own bruised ego ahead of the team.

Shearer was an exceptional crosser of the ball, that cross for Ferdinand's against Manchester United in 96 was out of this world. Shearer should have been slowly replaced. Instead his retirement was put-back because we didn't have anybody else at the club capable of scoring goals consistently.

Loved Bellamy and thought Souness was mental to put his own bruised ego ahead of the team.

Shearer was an exceptional crosser of the ball, that cross for Ferdinand's against Manchester United in 96 was out of this world. Shearer should have been slowly replaced. Instead his retirement was put-back because we didn't have anybody else at the club capable of scoring goals consistently.

And here we have the bottom line....Robson wanted to bring in Emile M'Penza....a few weeks after it was mentioned he was picking his cards up. Thats according to Robson's book, it also says Liverpool put a bid in for Shearer but the club knocked it back and kept it to themsleves. Shearers agent found out, and Shearer had a dig at Robson because of it. Robson took him to Valerenga and didnt play him, Shearer went straight to the press and had a whinge. The book doesnt say so implicity, but reading between the lines Sir Bob in all likelyhood thought that Shearer hammered a nail or two into Sir Bob's SJP coffin. I suppose how you feel about that depends on if you think Sir Bob's time was up. I think it was a fuckin ludicrous decision at the time and still do.

glad to hear it, because again all the guys sat around me thought it was necessary and were even mentioning things like alzheimers etc... disgusting. He over achieved with us, not under , Shearer was one of those players that played beyond his sell by date , both internationally and domestically. Don't get me wrong, I'm a shearer fan - but I think both England and NUFC were held back a bit by the insistence to keep playing him when perhaps others should have had their chance, with a shearer on for the last 40 mins option.

• 11 months later...

Cardiff forward Craig Bellamy has announced his retirement from football at the age of 34.

The decision of the much-travelled Wales international brings an end to his 17 years in senior football.

Bellamy rose to prominence at Norwich before big money moves to Coventry and Newcastle followed.

After a bust-up with Newcastle boss Graeme Souness, the player enjoyed a four-month spell on loan at Celtic, where he won a Scottish Cup medal in 2005.

Craig_3064070.jpg

"The time has come to stand aside and say enough. My body can't take any more."

Craig Bellamy

He also won the League Cup and Community Shield with Liverpool, where he had two spells, and was part of the Cardiff team which gained promotion from the Championship in 2013, joining his boyhood team on a permanent basis after a loan spell in 2010.

Bellamy also played for Blackburn, West Ham and Manchester City, and is the only player to score for seven teams in the Premier League.

Despite not being able to help Cardiff remain in the top flight after one season, Bellamy retires with satisfaction a year after former City boss Malky Mackay persuaded him to postpone his previous retirement plans.

Bellamy said: "It's been on my mind to finish playing for the last couple of years, but this time I've had to make a decision. I've had to listen to my body.

"I guess over the years I've become accustomed to the pain from various injuries, but for the last three to four years I've been on anti-inflammatories every day.

craig-bellamy-wales_3017487.jpg

Bellamy: Won 78 caps for Wales

"I'm not sure my body will think that's a wise thing in due course, but it kept me playing for that period.

"However, the time has come to stand aside and say enough. My body can't take any more.

"When Cardiff got promoted, it was the sense of achievement with my home-town club that meant most to me, rather than being able to play another season in the Premier League.

"I had performed at that level for 12 years anyway. The goal of getting Cardiff up there meant more to me than actually playing there again myself.

"But I spoke to Malky Mackay and he talked me around for one last challenge. I wasn't sure I could offer too much."

Great player for us. We were such a well balanced team with him, Shearer, Dyer(when he played), Nobby etc.