Astronomy

Christmas Tree

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Saw that on the news. You’d think they would have unearthed all the remaining sections already given the route of the wall is already known. 

The course of the Wall through what’s now the city centre is still not 100% known. 

I remember watching a dig on Clavering Place behind the Turnbull Building, and they were fizzing at the slit because they found two stone coffins, and, equally important to them, a section of road and civilian building, which indicated the wall ran north of the site. 

edit; They dug up a bit of the actual wall just outside the entrance of the Mining Institute recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Has it stopped working like :lol: 

herniated disc about 5 or 6 years ago at St Mary’s lighthouse. Walking down the slipway from the car park with CT junior on shoulders and hit a patch of wet pavement. Footing went and had to do a very jerky move to keep him in place, resulting in a herniated disc.

Effects my arms rather than my neck. I can lug wood and diy machinery around to build a pergola but knackered if I hold a baby in front of me :lol:

Swinging a light detector left me off work for a week last time so hoping for a better result tomorrow.

Also happens to be first day back at work since March 2020 so maybe I’m subconsciously trying to get an extra week off.

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

herniated disc about 5 or 6 years ago at St Mary’s lighthouse. Walking down the slipway from the car park with CT junior on shoulders and hit a patch of wet pavement. Footing went and had to do a very jerky move to keep him in place, resulting in a herniated disc.

Effects my arms rather than my neck. I can lug wood and diy machinery around to build a pergola but knackered if I hold a baby in front of me :lol:

Swinging a light detector left me off work for a week last time so hoping for a better result tomorrow.

Also happens to be first day back at work since March 2020 so maybe I’m subconsciously trying to get an extra week off.

Affects, not effects.

Isn't your job 'sitting in a comfortable car'?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wondered where to put this, absolutely weird moon tonight in Tynemouth, looked like Mars had left its orbit and was where the moon should be. I'm sure someone into photography could have got some amazing shots.

Moonrise

1010843025_20221013_1932122.thumb.jpg.fde6f1f5eb5726f2b871588396059244.jpg

Mars?

1563260718_20221013_1931542.jpg.6bbd652087ad85b14ddfdba412c68923.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, at 7:49pm tonight an asteroid 40-90 metres wide , which was only discovered last month, will pass between the moon and earth, missing us by 175,000km- in planetary terms, that’s not just a close shave, that’s waxing our nuts. 

According to the BBC, it’ll return in 2026 and miss us, ominously though, nowt about 2029 :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65061818

In other news, my nephew has just heard from Greenwich Observatory that he’s got a job with them, starting in a month or so. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

So, at 7:49pm tonight an asteroid 40-90 metres wide , which was only discovered last month, will pass between the moon and earth, missing us by 175,000km- in planetary terms, that’s not just a close shave, that’s waxing our nuts. 

According to the BBC, it’ll return in 2026 and miss us, ominously though, nowt about 2029 :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65061818

In other news, my nephew has just heard from Greenwich Observatory that he’s got a job with them, starting in a month or so. 

What’s he doing in the meantime? 
WAHEY!!!

• Haha 8

• 7 months later...

Red Alert issued for tonight if anyone wants to catch the Northern lights. (And clear skys).

Even if you can’t see it with the naked eye, if you change your phones camera exposure to 10 seconds and take a photo, it should show up.

IMG_4982.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I was reading a little article about Betelgeuse, the mental red giant star in Orion, where they said they’d had data which indicated it was spinning at 3-4 miles per second. 
This goes against everything they thought was possible, so they looked again at the data. 
( they measure the speed of star rotation based on the fact that light coming from the side which is spinning towards us gets a little boost over the light from the side going away from us, from this they can calculate it’s rotation speed.)

It seems that it’s (probably) not spinning that fast ( but it might be), but what skewed the data was the fact that the convection cells on it are just ridiculous. 

On the Sun, they’re about the size of Texas…

24045438-0-image-a-28_1580321943420.jpg

On Betelgeuse, they can be as big as the Earth’s orbit around the Sun! 

The thing is fucking huge, it would go out past Jupiter if it was in our system! 

And it’s kicking off :lol:

IMG_2451.thumb.gif.5d59669275cbd120d6ce06397cfec8cf.gif

When this goes boom it’s going to be absolutely spectacular. 

• Like 2