James Perch

DubiousBobcat

I thought this deserved its own thread. He will never set the world alight but I have to admit that when he has come on this season, he hasn't done much wrong and has looked fairly solid. Fair play to the lad. Certainly has surprised me and I don't have that negative feeling when he comes on now.

Did well last night. I was saying this about him the other day that against Chelsea at home, yes he was never going to beat Drogba in the air, but he stood him up, didn't get turned and stopped him in his tracks. At the end of the day, I would have said Routledge was a better player in his position that Perch is in his, yet Pardew thought different. And I have faith in Pardew's belief in players. He gave Obertan a run, didn't do much, so changed it up. Ben Arfa starts and wasn't doing much, so a half time sub. He has the balls the make the subs when necessary.

Might have found his 'niche'/justification to exist (at this level anyway). Championship defender, but can play a restrictive containing midfield role in the Prem as long as he has no other duties allied to that. Which is handy as Pardew is keen to opt for this when he's trying to shut a game down.

Shows above all else this isnt a worldbeaters role-and although he's not in the same league as Tiote, Parker etc-why you need to make sure you focus on the position/system first and foremost without getting horrendously over pre-occupied with certain players being irreplacable. It's pivotal, but theres actually more players capable of playing there than people suppose, because it's a massively uncomplicated brief and doesnt take much footballing ability. Box-to-box is a different species altogether and the two types of player don't compare in any way, shape or form.

We've done well this season by having midfielders with clearly defined roles that actually assist the defence. It's unusual (for us) but every successful club understands this is important, so I'm glad we've woken up to it too.

To be fair that wasn't a PL standard game, but he has improved since he arrived. It must have been tough to come back mentally from having such a big hit as Rewind and then seeing your career slowly dwindle, albeit with some big hits along the way like Take her for a drink on Tuesday. He's now proven that he has that toughness to persevere when everyone around him is doubting.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

After watching him play against a shockingly bad Blackburn team and control the pedestrian 33 year old Dunn I'm hoying out all my prior judgement's and announcing him as a world class talent.

Embarrassingly poor at CB earlier in the season. Has done well as a late sub in a midfield role closing down and breaking up play.

It's clear that Pardew likes him, must be willing to do whatever he asks. Should never start though, isn't premier league standard.

i think he's a lot safer at centre half or holding mid than he is at full back.

nowhere near as bad as some make out but a bench player at best. i don't think he's a massive liability, just a steady eddy type that can fill in a few different positions while not throwing his toys out of the pram for not starting every game. a bit like phil neville was for man u. he'll do. every squad needs that kind of player.

players like him are to be applauded. he's as we all know a championship mid table class centre back or full back. he has however proved to be a steady eddie in defensive midfield, and as others have stated, he shows he is tactically disciplined and adept at the bread and butter stuff in that role. he's a good squad player. fair play to him.

players like him are to be applauded. he's as we all know a championship mid table class centre back or full back. he has however proved to be a steady eddie in defensive midfield, and as others have stated, he shows he is tactically disciplined and adept at the bread and butter stuff in that role. he's a good squad player. fair play to him.

Agreed. Good teams aren't assembled over night and until then, a player of Perch's kind is a useful option, especially to keep your pressuring game consistent for a full 90 minutes.

Similar to Raylor in the way that he can afford to get lose the odd ball or get caught out of position now as he has another line of 4 behind him, whereas in defence their mistakes occasionally led directly to conceding a goal

But unlike Raylor he won't chip in with goals (3) and assists (4). He's worthy of a spot on the bench at the minute, but once Cabaye and Tiote are back it's Guthrie I'd be going to to replace either of them in midfield.

He was solid today, nothing more, nothing less. Broke up some Villa attacks but also made some stupid passes. Loved his shot just after the goal though, thought it was heading for the top corner at first.

He was a little more than solid today in my opinion mate, if he'd done what he did today whilst wearing a Tiote shirt most people would have been purring over him. He's never going to be our best player, never, however given that he gets/has taken a lot of flak for his below par performances, i'd like to think he gets some credit for his better shifts.

There was one point when he won three tackles in about 6 seconds, and showed grit and determination to get through each one, i thought that was without a doubt his best moment in a toon shirt

Edited by PUGATRON1000