Tottenham Hotspur - Newcastle United

Aeris

Tim Krul: No fear ahead of Tottenham clash

TIM KRUL says Newcastle United have no fear ahead of Saturday night’s encounter with Tottenham Hotspur.

The Magpies go into the game as underdogs against Harry Redknapp’s Champions League hopefuls but, after winning their last two Premier League games, Krul feels confidence is oozing in the Toon locker room.

When asked about the impending trip to Spurs, Krul told the Chronicle: “Games can’t come quick enough because we’re in such good spirit.

“We were a solid team again – we had to help each other out.”

United are currently in their highest position at this stage of a Premier League season for nine years, and the 2-1 win over Aston Villa meant that they have already banked one more victory than they did in the whole of last season.

United – who are priced at 11/2 with William Hill to win at Spurs – could even end the next round of Premier League fixtures in the top four if they upset the form book and nick victory at White Hart Lane.

Krul said: “It was a huge week last week.

“These games like Villa are the games you have to win.

“Maybe last year we’d have drawn these games.

“We’ve got the extra quality now on the pitch, and we can grind out results on the pitch.

“It’s amazing. We’ve done it all season. The character from the team has been amazing.

“Headers, clearances and fantastic goals from the two boys up front.”

Papiss Cisse has already earned the status of fan favourite after opening his account with a strike against Villa.

And Krul is delighted with the start made by the Senegal international.

He said: “What a way for our No 9 to show himself in his first game!

“He did the shirt justice with that goal.”

Krul was tipped by Alan Pardew to emulate Shay Given at St James’ Park and become a club legend.

And after coming out on top against Given in a 2-1 win on Tyneside, Krul reflected: “He’s a legend, for me.

“He’s fantastic. He had a good reception, and it was nice to talk away with the three points

“But Shay’s one of my heroes. Edwin van der Sar has always been my hero, but Shay isn’t far behind.

“He looked after me when I arrived at the club, and it was nice to see him after the game.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/02/07/tim-krul-no-fear-ahead-of-tottenham-clash-72703-30279877/#ixzz1lhyy04xw

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spurs fans reckon they are going to thrash us like.

with where they are in the league they probably think that most weeks tbf

what do they think are our poor points?

Central midfield is going to be our biggest concern against them. Guthrie's been canny but there's a world of difference between the rubbish Villa have and Modric. Simpson is going to have a tough time against Bale too.

Also, Williamson is somehow getting worse as the games go by.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Reckon we'll lose this one and lose it comfortably. As long as we beat Wolves and twat the mackems, I couldn't give a shit to be honest.

There's goals in our team, but Guthrie and Perch will be found out against Modric and England's Rose, so we won't really create many chances at all.

I think Pardew would have played Taylor wide right if he were fit, now I can see Obertan getting the nod. I'd prefer HBA, but I doubt we'll have enough of the ball to permit the amount of times that HBA loses it.

Edited by The Fish

Guthrie and Perch played well against Villa. Guthrie has been good for the whole season and Perch was suprising very effective and has not really done anything wrong in the holding midfielder role this season. That being said they will make mistakes in bad areas and they are more likely to be punished for it against quality opposition. Guthrie dwells on possession a bit and could get found out. And Perch is technically not Premier League standard. That's no slight on them, they have performed well this season, especially Guthrie, but they could and probably will be overrun by Spurs.

Its a shame that Raylor will be out because having him tucking in from the right without possession would at least allow us to press in midfield a bit more aggressively. As it is we'll have to rely on Ba dropping deep in an effort to stifle them. I really hope there is no highline because without a concerted effort to employ a high press a high line won't work. And with Modric getting time and space he is going to have free rein to slot balls in behind our defence. Regardless of that Bale is going to murder us and VDV is going to cause problems in between the lines.

I still think we will create chances because Ba doesn't really need much service to score goals and hopefully we can sneak a goal from a set piece.

I think we can get a draw but I don't think we'll do it by outplaying them. We'll need some luck, for Perch-Guthrie to play out of their skins and for Spurs to have a bad day.

Central midfield is going to be our biggest concern against them. Guthrie's been canny but there's a world of difference between the rubbish Villa have and Modric. Simpson is going to have a tough time against Bale too.

Also, Williamson is somehow getting worse as the games go by.

This, Guthrie and Perch did well but Petrov/Ireland/Bannan aren't the same level as Modric, Parker etc. Like Toonotl mentioned any mistakes they make are much more likely to be punished by Modric, is Van Der Vaart out? if he is it'll give Perch a little less to deal with in the gap between midfield and defence. We also has to hope Bale has one of his off games, Lennon being questionable is a big boost too he tore us a new one when he switched flanks (iirc last season?) when Bale wasn't doing much.

Agreed with Williamson he's been very disappointing and he's a big worry for me the ball he panicked and kicked out to Modeste when Krul was coming to collect it leaving Modeste with a wide open net would definitely have resulted in a goal against spurs.

I'd love to scrape a draw but as long as we beat Wolves and the mackems I wont be too worried especially with Liverpool's tough upcoming fixtures.

Re: Guthrie dwelling in possession, it's the feature of his game which has improved most imo. Seems much more aware and stronger on the ball. I didn't think those two would cope against Villa so we need to wait and see this weekend. That said it's probably not the middle of the park that will be the issue for us.

Re: Guthrie dwelling in possession, it's the feature of his game which has improved most imo. Seems much more aware and stronger on the ball. I didn't think those two would cope against Villa so we need to wait and see this weekend. That said it's probably not the middle of the park that will be the issue for us.

I agree that its improved. Almost everything about his game has improved but I feel he still takes too long to make a decision when in possession every now and again. Its probably a confidence thing. This season when he gets his head up and sees a 30 yard pass he'll knock it whereas last season he would almost always hestitate. I don't want to criticise him too much though because he has been very good this season. So much so that we haven't really missed Cabaye that much when he's been out.

Can't remember Bale playing well against Simpson, tbh. Changed flank a couple of times in our last few games against them as he was getting no joy. It was actually Lennon against Simpson where we were caught out last year at SJP and Lennon on Perch at WHL.

Last game we were without VDV, JD, Sandro, Lennon and Kaboul.

I'm praying that isn't the case again as we looked quite blunted in attack, and our bench was made up of YTS youngsters.

Still working as a waiter and living in Fenham is he?

I'm praying that isn't the case again as we looked quite blunted in attack, and our bench was made up of YTS youngsters.

I dunno, but if he is I bet everyone pays their bill:

http://www.twitvid.com/ZIVCR

Different Sandro, to be fair I think only Wacky Jnr and Howmanheyman will know what the fuck I'm on about.

I dunno, but if he is I bet everyone pays their bill:

http://www.twitvid.com/ZIVCR

Anyone having the fish would at any rate.

"..fish? fish?...PAY PAY!!!"