positives after the spurs game...

harrynufc

I know after watching that youre thinking how is it even possible to see any positives. But if we put the knee jerk reactions to one side and look at the bigger picture, these are some positive points ive squeezed out:

1) We're still 6th and way ahead of any prediction made at the start of the season by both fans and pundits.

2) We lost this game missing the pacemakers of our team. Im not saying tiote and cabaye would have meant we won but we might have had a chance. Dont forget spurs are still within an outside chance of winning the title.

3) Williamson and simpson were at fault for the majority of their goals - this is a positive as it means less players at fault and hopefully if defense is addressed at the next transfer window, it would significantly help improve the team.

4) i think today is the day that pardew has finally realised what the fans already knew about obertan. This will have a big impact on future games.

5) Mackems also lost and deservedly so. They looked shite.

6) fans kept supporting players even when we were 5 0 down. Credit to the support today.

Hopefully these obvious positives will lessen the pain of today's defeat. We havent become a bad side after one game. Howay the lads!

There are no positives. Pardew has failed to learn the lesson that this team, as it is currently set up, cannot deal with pace.

Agreed, this is worrying. Thought we'd learn from the Fulham second half. Opposition managers will be aware of our weaknesses after games like this.

Positives are that Arsenal aside, none of the teams around us won. So we didn't take advantage but haven't really lost much either in terms of where we are in the league.

Worth remembering that we drew with this lot at home and gave them a pretty good game. At WHL they're a different prospect but it puts things into perspective a little bit. I'm annoyed that they've gained points, I've never liked them and I don't want them to do well.

There are no positives. Pardew has failed to learn the lesson that this team, as it is currently set up, cannot deal with pace.

Agreed, this is worrying. Thought we'd learn from the Fulham second half. Opposition managers will be aware of our weaknesses after games like this.

Positives are that Arsenal aside, none of the teams around us won. So we didn't take advantage but haven't really lost much either in terms of where we are in the league.

Worth remembering that we drew with this lot at home and gave them a pretty good game. At WHL they're a different prospect but it puts things into perspective a little bit. I'm annoyed that they've gained points, I've never liked them and I don't want them to do well.

Why you never like them?...

To be honest, no one expected a win here. End of the day its 3 points that we expected to lose. Granted it was abysmal, and pardew got the tactics all wrong with our personnel. If they were missing their first choice cms they would of struggled as well (probably not as bad). Disappointing yes, expected pretty much.

I didn't even think they were owt special last night. We were just that inept!

The positive is that we played like that against a team that we wouldn't be expecting to get a win against anyway.

Yeah think that sums it up for me, broadly speaking.

Also I'd say it's a reminder (for those that regularly complain about us not being 'attacking' enough), about the importance of making yourself hard to beat, perhaps even to the point of being a bit boring, in the early stages of a game. First thing to do is not lose the game before it's started and it's something we've generally done well this season. Yesterday was the exact opposite of that and it was finished within 20 if not 6 minutes. Pardew had said in the press we were going to 'go for it' against Spurs and I think that's what he did-and that was the result. It was forced on him due to personnel as most of the pundits picked up on, so I'm not going to lay into him for it, but it demonstrates how this team gets its results principally by grafting, defending as an entire unit and then using the counter well. We're not good enough yet to go out and play cavalier stuff so people need to realise that when they're slating Pardew for not going Hatem Globetrotters on the opposition. Spurs are a very good team, and in form, but they weren't super human the other night, we were just awful because we went to 'give them a game' and as a consequence lost any hope of containment.

1. We now dont have to play Spurs.

2. We get Cabaye and Tiote

3. Easy game against Wolves next.

People are forgetting we not so long ago beat Man U 3-0. Stop criticising Pardew and start looking at the reality.

Pardew taking the blame is a positive for me. I reckon from his comments last week that he thought he would let the players go out and have go at spurs as our recent results had led him to over-estimate the quality in the side he was about to put out. He also, like a lot of us, completely mis-read the impact of this weeks extraordinary events on the Spurs side.

Edited by ChezGiven

I didn't even think they were owt special last night.  We were just that inept!

The positive is that we played like that against a team that we wouldn't be expecting to get a win against anyway.

Yeah think that sums it up for me, broadly speaking.

Also I'd say it's a reminder (for those that regularly complain about us not being 'attacking' enough), about the importance of making yourself hard to beat, perhaps even to the point of being a bit boring, in the early stages of a game. First thing to do is not lose the game before it's started and it's something we've generally done well this season. Yesterday was the exact opposite of that and it was finished within 20 if not 6 minutes. Pardew had said in the press we were going to 'go for it' against Spurs and I think that's what he did-and that was the result. It was forced on him due to personnel as most of the pundits picked up on, so I'm not going to lay into him for it, but it demonstrates how this team gets its results principally by grafting, defending as an entire unit and then using the counter well. We're not good enough yet to go out and play cavalier stuff so people need to realise that when they're slating Pardew for not going Hatem Globetrotters on the opposition. Spurs are a very good team, and in form, but they weren't super human the other night, we were just awful because we went to 'give them a game' and as a consequence lost any hope of containment.

Agree with both of you there. I think that when they were 4-0 up (or maybe even at 5-0) they'd only had about 6 efforts on goal. It was ridiculously easy for them.

We just lost the ball too much. It seemed like every time we attacked we lost it and were left short at the back. Obviously with Raylor, Cabaye and Tiote back it should improve so im confident of a win against Wolves!