Rangers enter Administration

Christmas Tree

Hearts shouldve won it in 86 too.For them not to win it on the last day they needed to be beaten at Dundee or somewhere and Celtic had to win by 5 goals, they beat St Mirren I think 6-1. Dodgy as fuck. Then Fergies Aberdeen beat them in the cup final the following week. Lots of Maroon scaves came out of closets that year. As bad a bunch of bandwagon jumping glory seekers as I've come across. We got their main man John Robertson in 88 and he was fuckin rubbish. And his wife was getting shagged by mackem waste of space John Kay which is why he left in a hurry. Allegedly.

Nowt to do with the fact he scored 0 in 28 games then. The mad thing is he scored 72 league goals in 3 seasons, came to the toon and couldn't even get one.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the excitement around the signing of Robertson. He'd scored a goal every other game at Hearts and been top-scorer in the league that season. Of course that was back when loads of the best Scottish players were playing for the best sides in England as well. Trust us to sign one that couldn't make the step-up.

He was crocked

Also on the rest of the SPL need them, not at all, they'd fucking love it if both fucked off. Their TV share is fuck all, costs them an arm and a leg to host the old firm, they're average attendances would likely go up over a season. They'd earn a little bit less, but they'd probably thrive otherwise.

I remember the excitement around the signing of Robertson. He'd scored a goal every other game at Hearts and been top-scorer in the league that season. Of course that was back when loads of the best Scottish players were playing for the best sides in England as well. Trust us to sign one that couldn't make the step-up.

He was crocked

Was he? I just seem to remember he was shit. Don't remember a bad injury though.

Edited by alex

The Scottish league is officially worse than the Israeli league according to the League Coefficients. The potential is there to be much better but when your FA only cares about 2 clubs that's what happens. Rangers won't go out of business

The Scottish league is officially worse than the Israeli league according to the League Coefficients. The potential is there to be much better but when your FA only cares about 2 clubs that's what happens. Rangers won't go out of business

When they had good international and club sides there were loads of good Scottish players. I think they suffer like the English do from too many foreign imports (without the money to get the really good ones) and from shit grassroots-level coaching (also like the English).

He was crocked

Was he? I just seem to remember he was shit. Don't remember a bad injury though.

Had a dodgy stomach muscle problem. (Only strated 7 for us + 5 as sub)

Had a dodgy stomach muscle problem. (Only strated 7 for us + 5 as sub)

Right, I know he didn't play much but honestly couldn't remember if it was just down to form or whatever. I remember his debut (or home league debut) v Spurs. I can't remember a thing about him from that game though. Andy Thorn scored our opener. I think it might've been his home debut too come to think of it. Gazza had just gone to Tottenham as well.

Hearts shouldve won it in 86 too.For them not to win it on the last day they needed to be beaten at Dundee or somewhere and Celtic had to win by 5 goals, they beat St Mirren I think 6-1. Dodgy as fuck. Then Fergies Aberdeen beat them in the cup final the following week. Lots of Maroon scaves came out of closets that year. As bad a bunch of bandwagon jumping glory seekers as I've come across. We got their main man John Robertson in 88 and he was fuckin rubbish. And his wife was getting shagged by mackem waste of space John Kay which is why he left in a hurry. Allegedly.
Nowt to do with the fact he scored 0 in 28 games then. The mad thing is he scored 72 league goals in 3 seasons, came to the toon and couldn't even get one.

Maybe he had other things on his mind? ;)

Am pretty sure thats right about him, I worked with his cousin in Edinburgh. He said Robertson's missus was playing away in Edinburgh, thats why they came down, new start and all all that. He reckoned she should be buried in a Y shaped cofffin.

When they had good international and club sides there were loads of good Scottish players. I think they suffer like the English do from too many foreign imports (without the money to get the really good ones) and from shit grassroots-level coaching (also like the English).

The foreign import problem is a factor as you say. They've the added issue that any kid with promise is bought up by the old firm for washers, and to an extent any older player that shines at another club. The money is so low in general and the old firm so much richer by comparison, they can just hoover up any potential at very modest outlay, and in some cases never even play them.

Maybe he had other things on his mind? ;)

Am pretty sure thats right about him, I worked with his cousin in Edinburgh. He said Robertson's missus was playing away in Edinburgh, thats why they came down, new start and all all that. He reckoned she should be buried in a Y shaped cofffin.

John Kay was Scotch as well wasn't he? All those players who were stars for Hearts who came to England were shite. Mind that John Colquhon at Sunderland as well, also Derek Ferguson, what a load of shite.

[

John Kay was Scotch as well wasn't he? All those players who were stars for Hearts who came to England were shite. Mind that John Colquhon at Sunderland as well, also Derek Ferguson, what a load of shite.

:lol: More names from the dustbin. Great memory.

[

A quick look at Wiki shows in 5 seasons of football between them, the sum total of McCoist, Colquhoun and Robertson's goals in Tyne & Wear was EIGHT. Thinking about it, Mark McGhee was a reasonable signing, but we should never really sign players from Scotland again. We've not had a goodun since Jinky Jim, and when was that Leazes? 1970?

[

A quick look at Wiki shows in 5 seasons of football between them, the sum total of McCoist, Colquhoun and Robertson's goals in Tyne & Wear was EIGHT. Thinking about it, Mark McGhee was a reasonable signing, but we should never really sign players from Scotland again. We've not had a goodun since Jinky Jim, and when was that Leazes? 1970?

Tony Green was better (even Leazes and I agree on that)

I always thought John Blackley was OK an all, no world-beater mind.

There's no real talent in Scotland any more, it doesn't get through the ranks.

It's a tiny country population wise like. I mean it's probably more accurate to say that it had a disproportionately high percentage of talent during the 70's and 80's than it has a scarcity of it now.

I'm ignoring home internationals altogether as any barometer btw.

Holland is forever the anomoly in world football for me. And but for the true all time geniuses like Cruyff, it's largely coached. That is simply staggering.

It's a tiny country population wise like. I mean it's probably more accurate to say that it had a disproportionately high percentage of talent during the 70's and 80's than it has a scarcity of it now.

Holland is forever the anomoly in world football for me. And but for the true all time geniuses like Cruyff, it's largely coached. That is simply staggering.

Aye I'd agree but THE anomoly has to be Uruguay. The population is the same as the North East and Cumbria, 2 World Cup's and third place in the last one.

Aye I'd agree but THE anomoly has to be Uruguay. The population is the same as the North East and Cumbria, 2 World Cup's and third place in the last one.

Definitely punch above their weight like. I'd dismiss the two world cup wins though.

Aye. And there's a fair few small nations came 3rd/4th in what you'd describe as the 'modern era'. It's difficult to distinguish between 3rd and 4th with the play-off match being what it is as well.

Definitely punch above their weight like. I'd dismiss the two world cup wins though.

I'd dismiss the first one definitely not the second one though. To win it in Brazil with the lights of England in it, who basically looked down their nose at everyone till Puskas was nee mean feat.

Aye. And there's a fair few small nations came 3rd/4th in what you'd describe as the 'modern era'. It's difficult to distinguish between 3rd and 4th with the play-off match being what it is as well.

The small nations who have come 3rd and 4th are the likes of Belgium pop. 12m Holland pop. 15m Sweden/Bulgaria pop 12m. Uruguay is 3m people.

The small nations who have come 3rd and 4th are the likes of Belgium pop. 12m Holland pop. 15m Sweden/Bulgaria pop 12m. Uruguay is 3m people.

Fair comment although Croatia would be of a similar size (I think). I meant sort of football 'minnows' to as opposed to pure population size as well. Although that's not the point you were basing it on tbf.

I'd dismiss the first one definitely not the second one though. To win it in Brazil with the lights of England in it, who basically looked down their nose at everyone till Puskas was nee mean feat.

I might give you Brazil 1950 at a push. Brazil hadn't won owt themselves at that stage though so I'm not convinced. I write Italy's first two WC's off for the same reason. In fact if I'm being honest, I probably downgrade everything pre 1970. That's probably overly harsh and summat to do with it being in colour, but I do genuinely feel that was the decade when the World and European competitions had become properly 'established' and football had become a more modern game. I don't do that lightly either because it leaves us without a major trophy ever.

http://en.wikipedia..../1950_World_Cup

Anyone know why Scotland withdrew?

Probably money ;)

Probably

Before the qualification competition, George Graham, chairman of the Scottish Football Association (SFA), had said that Scotland would only travel to Brazil as winners of the Home Championship.[3] (England, by contrast, had committed to attending, even if they finished in second place).[3] After Scotland ended up in second place behind England, the Scottish captain George Young, encouraged by England captain Billy Wright, pleaded with the SFA to change its mind and accept the place in Brazil: however Graham refused to change his position and so Scotland withdrew from the tournament.