Rangers enter Administration

Christmas Tree

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I've ever heard from Rangers fans is that they are a massive club compared to Newcastle because they reguarly win trophies, none were willing to accept the argument that the trophies they win are fairly worthless to any fan with a sense of perspective.

You constantly hear bollocks from both Celtic & Rangers fans about how well they'd do in the premier league but to be honest either of them would struggle to win the championship.

Can't say I'm fussed about Rangers going into Admin & Celtic fans should use their brains and realise that it's going to effect them too.

A few years ago they might have faired ok (around the Laudrup, Gazza, Albert, Di Canio, Larrsson era). The current crop are woeful.

All I've ever heard from Rangers fans is that they are a massive club compared to Newcastle because they reguarly win trophies, none were willing to accept the argument that the trophies they win are fairly worthless to any fan with a sense of perspective.

You constantly hear bollocks from both Celtic & Rangers fans about how well they'd do in the premier league but to be honest either of them would struggle to win the championship.

Can't say I'm fussed about Rangers going into Admin & Celtic fans should use their brains and realise that it's going to effect them too.

A few years ago they might have faired ok (around the Laudrup, Gazza, Albert, Di Canio, Larrsson era). The current crop are woeful.

Faired well aye maybe 9th/10th even the Celtic team that got to the UEFA Final was not great on paper. When you look through the names we'd have probably have had Larsson but who else then in 2003? The likes of Sutton, Thompson and Hartson were largely failed Premiership players to a degree which is why they managed to get them up there. MON worked miracles, and had their delusional support in a frenzy, they massively overachieved, but hats off to them, beating the likes of Milan and Barcelona.

I'd say Rangers 91-93 was the only Scottish team capable of competing for the title here since the 60s.

Faired well aye maybe 9th/10th even the Celtic team that got to the UEFA Final was not great on paper. When you look through the names we'd have probably have had Larsson but who else then in 2003? The likes of Sutton, Thompson and Hartson were largely failed Premiership players to a degree which is why they managed to get them up there. MON worked miracles, and had their delusional support in a frenzy, they massively overachieved, but hats off to them, beating the likes of Milan and Barcelona.

I'd say Rangers 91-93 was the only Scottish team capable of competing for the title here since the 60s.

Aye, would agree with that. Right before the Prem money kicked in, basically.

That Rangers team of 91/93 had a great run in the inaugural Champions League in 92/93; remember the night we walloped Barnsley 6-0 in April 93 they played Marseilles and drew 1-1 - watched it on the old VHS when i got in through a drunken haze (anyone who was in The Farmer's Rest post match could probably recall U2's "Putting Your Arms Around The World" played several times back to back with the entire bar singing "Black & White Army" in perfect time repeatedly) & desperately wanted them to win. In fact, if they'd beaten CSKA Moscow in the last group game, they'd have got to the final , where Marseilles beat Milan with a Basil Boli (later to join Rangers) goal.

As far as making this relevant to NUFC, the point about what Martin Paradoxically can do in terms of inspiration to an average bunch of players may be a worry to us on March 4th & for the future. However, since he failed to crack top 4 with Villa, it's safe to say his star is waning....

That Rangers team of 91/93 had a great run in the inaugural Champions League in 92/93; remember the night we walloped Barnsley 6-0 in April 93 they played Marseilles and drew 1-1 - watched it on the old VHS when i got in through a drunken haze (anyone who was in The Farmer's Rest post match could probably recall U2's "Putting Your Arms Around The World" played several times back to back with the entire bar singing "Black & White Army" in perfect time repeatedly) & desperately wanted them to win. In fact, if they'd beaten CSKA Moscow in the last group game, they'd have got to the final , where Marseilles beat Milan with a Basil Boli (later to join Rangers) goal.

As far as making this relevant to NUFC, the point about what Martin Paradoxically can do in terms of inspiration to an average bunch of players may be a worry to us on March 4th & for the future. However, since he failed to crack top 4 with Villa, it's safe to say his star is waning....

They needed to win 2-0 not just win, but I bet they'd have given Milan a game in the final. I remember McSwegan's equaliser against Marseille the atmosphere sounded as good as you'll ever hear. Still a bunch of parafins though.

I remember McSwegan scoring a header which I could have sworn curled in the air. First and only time I've ever seen it happen. Wasn't a Glasgow breeze catching it either.

You're reet! I tell you another time it happened, Euro 88 when Holland beat Ireland 1-0 with a late goal, that ball fucking curled, think it was a header from Wim Kieft.

Gary McSwegan scoring in the European Cup semi finals.....when you think of some of the great teams who won the thing around then (Barca and Milan spring to mind) in a poor year you could get some "slightly more average teams" doing well. PSV Eindhoven and Porto both won it around the late 80s/early 90s. This is the period English clubs were banned and I think the Liverpool of Barnes and Beardsley wouldve won at least one too. Didnt Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade win it around then too? Half decent sides, but when you look at some of the sides who won it in the era before then as well (Villa and Forest??!!) it makes you think it was a very level playing field back then and a lot of clubs had a good chance, as long as you'd won your own league of course....

Gary McSwegan scoring in the European Cup semi finals.....when you think of some of the great teams who won the thing around then (Barca and Milan spring to mind) in a poor year you could get some "slightly more average teams" doing well. PSV Eindhoven and Porto both won it around the late 80s/early 90s. This is the period English clubs were banned and I think the Liverpool of Barnes and Beardsley wouldve won at least one too. Didnt Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade win it around then too? Half decent sides, but when you look at some of the sides who won it in the era before then as well (Villa and Forest??!!) it makes you think it was a very level playing field back then and a lot of clubs had a good chance, as long as you'd won your own league of course....

Aye I've got no doubt the blue dippers would've won it in 1986, what a team they had, they could've won it in 1988 as well like realistically.

McSwegan ended up at Notts County if memory serves.

Steaua Bucharest won in 86 v Venables' Barca on pens & Belgrade v Waddle's Marseilles in 91, both on pens.

didn't see latter as was at Wedding Present gig at Uni that night

I remember McSwegan scoring a header which I could have sworn curled in the air. First and only time I've ever seen it happen. Wasn't a Glasgow breeze catching it either.

You're reet! I tell you another time it happened, Euro 88 when Holland beat Ireland 1-0 with a late goal, that ball fucking curled, think it was a header from Wim Kieft.

Aye the ball was spinning loads though, i.e. it spun off the turf iirc. Think the one manc-mag is on about I think the ball actually swerved in the air.

This is the period English clubs were banned and I think the Liverpool of Barnes and Beardsley wouldve won at least one too.

Thank fuck eh? :lol:

different back in those days; less media hype & messageboard meatheads, so all teams were wished good luck.

in 83 when Aberdeen won ECWC over Real Madrid & Dundee Utd got to UEFA semi finals, they had everyone behind them.....

Btw, I remember going beserk in a bar full of Germans in Ampuriabrava when Porto beat Bayern Munich when the Porto player scored with a backheel. Bayern were winning with about 5 mins to go as well. Fortunately I was about 13 which helped me not getting filled-in.

This is the period English clubs were banned and I think the Liverpool of Barnes and Beardsley wouldve won at least one too.

Thank fuck eh? :lol:

different back in those days; less media hype & messageboard meatheads, so all teams were wished good luck.

in 83 when Aberdeen won ECWC over Real Madrid & Dundee Utd got to UEFA semi finals, they had everyone behind them.....

Aye, true that like. I remember seeing Liverpool beat Roma in Benidorm as well and the whole bar - English from all over and Sweaties etc. wanted them to win.

Btw, I remember going beserk in a bar full of Germans in Ampuriabrava when Porto beat Bayern Munich when the Porto player scored with a backheel. Bayern were winning with about 5 mins to go as well. Fortunately I was about 13 which helped me not getting filled-in.

87 that wasn't it? don't recall seeing that final for some reason

Gene - Yeh I appreciate that but the way Liverpool fans go on abotu 5 is bad enough, let alone 7!

of course all privileges were used up after Heysel.

Justice for the 39!!

Aye they've built up quite a record for being complete twats since but I think Heysel - and the complete ignorance towards it - probably tops it.

87 that wasn't it? don't recall seeing that final for some reason

Would've been 87-ish, aye.