Rangers enter Administration

Christmas Tree

Will be a shame to see Hearts go too, but they've been a fucked up club for years. Remember that season Burley won 9 out of 9 with them about 2005, and got sacked? That Romanov makes Ashley look an amiable owner.

Watched some of the Hibs game yesterday before wors, they've got a good striker called Leigh Griffiths, but the rest of the side are astonishingly poor, yet they are second top just one point behind Celtic with more than a quarter of the season gone. Hibs are League One level at the very best, it's no wonder clubs are struggling financially, you can't expect big crowds, sponsorship and investment when the product is so poor. Celtic 1 St Johnstone 1 ffs. Make no mistake about it, on paper Cardiff are better than Celtic. I think Celtic's victory over Barcelona, is the greatest win of any club in the last 30 years anywhere in the world, given how shite they are, and given the quality Barcelona have.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a theory that a lot of the perception of the SPL is based on the TV coverage (I know that seems like stating the blindingly obvious, but hear me out). Televised SPL games are often played at ridiculous times in front of crap crowds (because it's on tv) and no atmosphere. This all makes the game seem much worse than it actually is. I was at a game between Aberdeen and Hearts a couple of seasons ago, and it was great. Aberdeen played quick, free flowing attacking football, and Hearts looked to hit them on the break at every opportunity. The standard of play from both sides was really good. My brother was watching it on Sky at home, and he thought it was a load of shite. It was a 12 noon Sunday kickoff, the stadium was less than half full, and the pitch looked like a Christmas pudding. I think that is a lot of the reason why people think the SPL is so rubbish. I'm not saying it's great mind, but it's not completely terrible either. I think most of Celtic's first team could comfortably play in the Premier League. I'd have Izaguire and Hooper at SJP in a shot.

In 3 years of having a season ticket at Pittodrie, I've still never seen a game anything like as bad as Fulham v Newcastle under Allardyce at Craven Cottage. That wasn't just the worst football match, but possibly the worst thing I've ever witnessed in any medium.

Edited by toon_don

I've got a theory that a lot of the perception of the SPL is based on the TV coverage (I know that seems like stating the blindingly obvious, but hear me out). Televised SPL games are often played at ridiculous times in front of crap crowds (because it's on tv) and no atmosphere. This all makes the game seem much worse than it actually is. I was at a game between Aberdeen and Hearts a couple of seasons ago, and it was great. Aberdeen played quick, free flowing attacking football, and Hearts looked to hit them on the break at every opportunity. The standard of play from both sides was really good. My brother was watching it on Sky at home, and he thought it was a load of shite. It was a 12 noon Sunday kickoff, the stadium was less than half full, and the pitch looked like a Christmas pudding. I think that is a lot of the reason why people think the SPL is so rubbish. I'm not saying it's great mind, but it's not completely terrible either. I think most of Celtic's first team could comfortably play in the Premier League. I'd have Izaguire and Hooper at SJP in a shot.

In 3 years of having a season ticket at Pittodrie, I've still never seen a game anything like as bad as Fulham v Newcastle under Allardyce at Craven Cottage. That wasn't just the worst football match, but possibly the worst thing I've ever witnessed in any medium.

Tend to agree, I've always enjoyed watching the SPL live.

:lol: Agree about the Fulham match too. A few of us on here went to that, remember freezing my nuts off and being paranoid the stand was going to collapse. Burton's penalty was scant consolation for that atrocity of football.

:lol: Agree about the Fulham match too. A few of us on here went to that, remember freezing my nuts off and being paranoid the stand was going to collapse. Burton's penalty was scant consolation for that atrocity of football.

I'm a Londoner (sorry Stevie) and it used to be that away games in and around London were the only ones I could get to, so when we heard there were a few away tickets being sold on the door for that game me and a mate headed over straight away. We were up first in the queue, and just walked straight through the turnstiles without thinking. Turned out we were the only 2 people in the entire ground for about an hour and a half, as everyone else had sensibly bought their tickets and then headed back to the pubs. Ended up buying a couple of pasties just to hold for the warmth. :lol:

Edited by toon_don

Tend to agree, I've always enjoyed watching the SPL live.

Coldest I've ever been at a football match that neet. I'd been to a works party in London the night before, and lets just say for once I was far from a clean living lad, which didn't help matters.

As for Izaguirre and Hooper getting in our side, I don't think so, the fact Kenny Miller was a star in the SPL, but is a Championship striker is telling. I can't remember Newcastle signing anyone from Scotland in my supporting life time who was any good (other than Mark McGhee).

We definitely shouldn't be looking to sign players off Celtic, the only one I feel who could develop in to top class level is Wanyama. Without doubt a good player. Perhaps the young lad has a chance too.

I'm a Londoner (sorry Stevie) and it used to be that away games in and around London were the only ones I could get to, so when we heard there were a few away tickets being sold on the door for that game me and a mate headed over straight away. We were up first in the queue, and just walked straight through the turnstiles without thinking. Turned out we were the only 2 people in the entire ground for about an hour and a half, as everyone else had sensibly bought their tickets and then headed back to the pubs. Ended up buying a couple of pasties just to hold for the warmth. :lol:

I've got nowt against Londoners, some of the funniest people I've ever met are Londoners.

Coldest I've ever been at a football match that neet. I'd been to a works party in London the night before, and lets just say for once I was far from a clean living lad, which didn't help matters.

As for Izaguirre and Hooper getting in our side, I don't think so, the fact Kenny Miller was a star in the SPL, but is a Championship striker is telling. I can't remember Newcastle signing anyone from Scotland in my supporting life time who was any good (other than Mark McGhee).

We definitely shouldn't be looking to sign players off Celtic, the only one I feel who could develop in to top class level is Wanyama. Without doubt a good player. Perhaps the young lad has a chance too.

I agree that you do get substandard players who look good up here because the quality of the league isn't great. Miller is one, Conor Sammon is another (what Derby saw in him to pay over a million I have no idea), as is Anthony Stokes. When you watch the SPL over a decent length of time though, you can spot the players who are genuine class acts, and I think Hooper fits into that category.

Directly from the Scottish league or Scottish? If the latter Kevin Gallagher was canny IIRC.

Directly from the Scottish league or Scottish? If the latter Kevin Gallagher was canny IIRC.

He was finished when we had him. I meant directly from Scotland.

Boumsong

Darren Jackon

Archie Gourlay

Stephen Glass

Paul Sweeney

Craig Moore

Alex Mathie

Neil Simpson

Kevin Gallagher

Roy Aitken

Andy Walker

...a quite shocking list.

Stephen Glass! You know, the new Tony Green. Or the old Shane Ferguson.

He had a good chance to be good until he got fucked.

Always thought Brownlee and Blackley were OK an all. (for Hibees)

Thought Glass had a bit about him tbf although it might've been down to the lack of decent attacking options at the time (post-Daglish). Was it George Boeteng who done him with a shocking tackle at SJP? I don't think he got a yellow (although he might've) but it was a straight red (should've been). Don't think he was going to be a world beater either way like. Canny left peg on him though.

He had a good chance to be good until he got fucked.

Always thought Brownlee and Blackley were OK an all. (for Hibees)

Both of those were blighted by injury as well.

I remember when Brownlie scored his first and I think only goal - it wasn't quite the same as Frank Clark scoring (just before my time) but it was definitely well celebrated.

:lol: Theyre coming!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/16/rangers-charles-green-england-leagues

Rangers are due to float on London's AIM market by the end of the year, and Green has been trying to persuade financial institutions this week that the club have a realistic chance of playing in England. "As a football club, if Rangers were in the Premier League only Manchester United would be bigger," Green claimed. "Arsenal haven't got more fans than Rangers ... the fan base is so big."

:lol: Theyre coming!!!

http://www.guardian....england-leagues

Rangers are due to float on London's AIM market by the end of the year, and Green has been trying to persuade financial institutions this week that the club have a realistic chance of playing in England. "As a football club, if Rangers were in the Premier League only Manchester United would be bigger," Green claimed. "Arsenal haven't got more fans than Rangers ... the fan base is so big."

:lol: @ Charles Green buying in to these myths. Their fanbase is around the Sunderland/Leeds bracket at best in my view. How the fuck they can compare themselves to Arsenal, the best supported club in Europe's biggest city, the best supported club in Africa, one of the best supported clubs in Asia, the 5th richest club in the world, utterly staggers me how deep the Glasgow delusion is from both sides.

Like all these big companies that screw the taxman, it might be deceitful and immoral, but apparently not illegal.

Although the judgement does confirm that they broke the SPL contract rules, so theoretically could still have their titles taken off them.

Not that that will happen.

Edited by toon_don

One for Toonpack to explain...Rangers win the "big tax case" v HMRC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...w-west-20414804

I think this is one of those "legal technicality" things. They paid EBT's which are legal, if they are loans with an expectation to be paid back. HMRC took the stance that all the Rangers EBT's were never ever intended to be paid back and levied tax liability and penalties on the club.

The judges in the tribunal (not unanimously, but by 2-1) decreed that as the payments were EBT's they are simply loans which could be paid back (in the eyes of the law) and thus would attract no tax liability. As NJS states NO F'in WAY were these ever going to be paid back. That said, the tribunal also noted:

"Mr Thornhill noted five cases where peculiarly trust payments were made in respect of guaranteed bonuses. These relate to Messrs Selby, Inverness, Doncaster, Barrow, and Furness, as confirmed by his instructing solicitor’s letter of 29 September 2011. The Appellants concede that in these cases there is a sufficient nexus with a contractual right to create a tax liability"

These are the "side letter" folks (disguised names obviously) That means there is some liability but not the £100 Mill HMRC were looking for on all the EBT's.

Importantly that section also hands at least 5 cases of dual contracts to the SFA on a plate.

On the EBT's themselves, if oldco Rangers had not died no way would the loans/EBT's ever have been repaid, however given the liquidation I would be very surprised if all recipents of EBT payments will not at least be asked by BDO (the liquidator) to pay them back, they are loans after all :rolleyes: which could get very interesting as the beneficiaries will obviously argue through their lawyers (as we are talking millions here - Boumsong as an example was paid over £3Mill I believe via EBT) it was their pay and not a loan so can of worms re-opens.

Bottom line IMO, they cheated and financially doped but football yet again kicks the revenue in the nuts, and the law remains an ass.

Edited by Toonpack