JJ needed a "breath of fresh air"...

Scottish Mag

JERMAINE Jenas and former boss Graeme Souness were last night at odds over why the mid fielder qui t Newcastle.

The England star says he needed a "breath of fresh air" to reinvigorate himself, and make sure he kept progressing.

Jenas made the £7million switch to White Hart Lane on the same day Newcastle signed Michael Owen.

But Toon boss Souness has disputed the player's reasons for leaving Tyneside and says he joined Spurs to be closer to his friends.

The Newcastle chief insisted there is no way he could have kept Jenas at St James' Park, despite wanting to pair him with Scott Parker in central midfield.

Jenas, who is close pals with Spurs stars Michael Dawson and Jermain Defoe, said: "It was something I thought would be for the best, both for my career and for myself.

"There was nothing to it other than I felt my career would progress if I moved on.

"During certain times in a career I think it is best to get a breath of fresh air at a different place and I certainly think the move has furthered my game.

"I think I am now improving as a footballer and that is what it is all about. I learnt so much under Sir Bobby Robson when I first moved there and I feel the club developed my game so much.

"But a change is sometimes needed and that is why I asked for a move. "I had some absolutely amazing times at Newcastle and the fans were fantastic to me. I would be the first to cheer them if they won anything."

Souey says he wanted to keep the young star, but Jenas was adamant he wanted out of Tyneside to further his career in London. Souness said: "We didn't want to sell him. But he was determined to leave. "Several of his mates are at Tottenham, which was always going be attractive for him. We were a reluctant seller. We bought Scott Parker to play with JJ. He is a young man who will only get better, he is on the fringes of the England team.

"He is someone who made it very difficult for us to keep him. There had been murmurs before hand that he wanted to go. "He has the potential to be an England regular but there is strong competition. He will get better. It's how much better he gets. He has done all right since I has been there."

Jenas has certainly made progress in Martin Jol's revitalised Spurs, with a Champions League place back on the agenda, while Newcastle need a run of wins to rekindle their hopes of European football.

The 22-year-old has scored three goals in 16 games for Spurs and has hit a consistent vein of form recently. "I am enjoying my football and I have settled in very quickly at Spurs," Jenas added.

"We are doing well this season but it is still very early days. Success breeds expectation and the expectation at Spurs is that we should be playing in Europe next season."

Firstly, Souness says he wanted to go because he felt he was living in a goldfish bowl.

Now he says he wanted to go to be nearer his friends.

Just the latest in a long line of story changes from Souness....

I really don't know how much more proof is needed that Souness is a compulsive liar, nicely sitting alongside being an excuse maker, incompetent, ego freak, bully and totally useless, and has manipulated situations to suit his version of events to tell lies ever since he walked into the club

Firstly, Souness says he wanted to go because he felt he was living in a goldfish bowl.

I really don't know how much more proof is needed that Souness is a compulsive liar, nicely sitting alongside being an excuse maker, incompetent, ego freak, bully and totally useless, and has manipulated situations to suit his version of events to tell lies ever since he walked into the club

72410[/snapback]

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think Souness said at the time that Jenas's stated reason for leaving was the goldfish bowl nonsense but Souness wasn't buying it. By the way I think you've left out; the most tactically inept individual ever to grace football, including fans.

72410[/snapback]

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think Souness said at the time that Jenas's stated reason for leaving was the goldfish bowl nonsense but Souness wasn't buying it. By the way I think you've left out; the most tactically inept individual ever to grace football , including fans.

72411[/snapback]

well spotted, unfortunately as the list could have been quite a long one I was bound to miss something