Barclays Pingit Phone App Out Today

Christmas Tree

App Allows Text Message Cash Transfers

Transferring cash could soon be as simple as sending a text thanks to a new phone app released today.

Users will be able to make payments of between £1 and £300 with a maximum of £5,000 per day.

The free Pingit app, developed by Barclays, allows users to send and receive cash to anyone with one of the bank's UK current accounts and a mobile phone number.

No bank details would have to be shared as the app links the user's current account with their phone number

Only Barclays current account customers can initially use the app, but it will be available to customers of other banks or building societies from next month.

To send money, customers can use the app available on iOS, Android and Blackberry, or they can register online to receive payments regardless of what type of phone they use.

Antony Jenkins, chief executive of Barclays retail and business banking, said the app could "revolutionise" the way people send and receive money.

"For friends splitting the cost of dinner, repaying a borrowed £10 or people sending money to a son or daughter at university, it's free, quick, convenient, secure and easy to use."

Barclays said transfers were as safe as any other banking transaction and the app was protected by a five digit code set by the user.

Rachel Springall, spokeswoman for comparison website Moneyfacts, said: "Whilst this feature strives to be a secure service, customers need to ensure that they input the correct mobile number on outset and that they are careful when making transfers so as not to select the wrong amount.

"It will be interesting to see how other lenders react to this release, especially since the launch of mobile banking as a whole has met many customers' day-to-day banking needs."

No good if you're a tight arse btw. I've got a mate who has a running line of credit with everyone in our group of friends, cos he has a habit of turning up and "Ahh fuck I forgot my wallet!"

Never forgets his fucking phone though. :lol: Not yet anyway.

Fucking hell, I can see it now "'scuse me Mr, you got change for a cup of tea". " No sorry mate, nowt on me". "You got that app on your phone then and you can send me a tenner?"