How do you feel about St James' now compared to in the past

ajax_andy

You'll never get back to the 80s because, as CT says, making the stadiums all-seater killed a lot of the atmosphere. Society has changed too though, you could bring back terracing but it still wouldn't be the same (not that it would ever be for the majority of fans anyway - but even if it was it wouldn't be the same).

Btw, a bloke at the Spurs match last season turned around and asked me to stop swearing. He had his two bairns with him but I wasn't even talking loudly let alone swearing. He was completely out of order - ask Gemmill. He had a fucking southern accent to top things off. He was soft as shit as well (and I didn't threaten him or owt, I didn't even swear at him, I basically told him to have a word with himself and to shut up and watch the match). He moved for the 2nd half. That's the type of toucher you get going to the games these days tbh. Obviously not everyone is like that.

Aye that's one thing right, but me mate, a veteran of 300 games plus and a weathered 30 something who with me went home and away in the darkest Ardiles days, told me to stop swearing against Man Utd because there was kids in earshot! I says you've got a free ticket out of the goodness of me heart, I could've given it to numerous people, we're playing Man Utd and Webb is being a cunt?! Fuck off. That's what happens when you become a copper.

Tbh, I probably would've tried to temper it a bit for his kids but I doubt his kids even heard what I was saying. It was literally me talking to the person next to me (Gemmill on me Dad's ticket). He was a proper middle class prick who'd obviously decided he was going to take umbrage with anyone swearing. If you don't want kids to hear swearing, don't take them to the match or sit in the family enclosure. The cunt!

Aye I think you've probably handled yourself with more dignity than I would there. Off The Rugby Fuck and To all would've been used.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye I think you've probably handled yourself with more dignity than I would there. Off The Rugby Fuck and To all would've been used.

I took a few deep breaths like ;)

great lots of excellent info in these posts so please keep them coming :)

Just so I can nail down things a little more precisely (I only have 500 words to write about all 3 stadiums) can I get answers to the following questions:

1) Do you think the atmosphere would have changed if you had moved to a new stadium on the Town Moore or Castle Leazes

2) Do you think the atmosphere was always going to be diluted by the introduction of all seater stadiums

3) Do you think one of the unique match day atmosphere is so good due to following in the same footsteps as previous generations and if you'd move to say the Town Moor that this would have changed the whole feeling of going to a match?

1. No more than it changed expanding the capacity at St James' Park, and in turn migrating to individual pockets of "atmosphere" (noise / chants etc), which I think has made it worse. I think the spark would have been lost PRIOR to the game, the gut feeling in the build up heading to St James' and taking your position in the gallowgate, leazes corner, etc but I can't see this translating into any loss of atmosphere during the game. I enjoy having a few pints in Shearers or Strawberry before the game ALMOST as much as watching it! It wouldnt be the same if it wasnt St James'.

2. Not sure if diluted is the word but the all seater stadium is far more agreeable for family, tourists, women and kids. The increase in this demographic has definitely changed the atmosphere from the terraces.

3. Yes and see my first answer!

When I first started going there wasn't as much swearing in the West Stand. It seemed almost obligatory on the Gallowgate though. I remember going to a game against Man City 3-1 win think it might've been the second game I ever went to and we were in the West Stand, and I remember two things about the game, one about me dad telling me Man City had a MACKEM keeper Barry Siddall, and two, two old dears behind us saying eeh bliddy Tony's having a good game in shock at Cunningham's decent show. So the moral is if you don't like swearing go to the Platinum.

Edited by McFaul

Thing is, if I do cop a kid near us I will make a mental note to try and curb it, but it never works like that. A combination of passion and drink mean I'm unable to stop myself. It's almost like tourettes when I go to the game. Spending the day on the drink with my mates and going to the game tends to bring out the potty mouth in me, I'm always getting telt off when I get home as I ask the Mrs is she wants 'a fucking take out?'

I tell you one thing that's changed, which doesn't really have much to do with atmosphere (incidentally totally agree with stuff on this thread about changing demographics & influence of all seater stadia; it's been like that nigh on 20 years, so a whole generation of people have known no different in terms of mode of supporting); the thing that has changed for me is that the ground is a hell of a lot warmer than it used to be.

Watford on 24th November 1990 was a game I thought I was going to die of exposure at; Quinn pelanty 1-0, Porter the Mackem missed a pelanty for them. Since then the only game I can recall being anywhere near as cold at was the UEFA Cup game after we beat Chelsea in FA Cup in 2005; Heerenveen 2-1.

The fact it's a roofed bowl for the most part means it is fairly sheltered; remember the wind on the night of Man Utd in January - only slight influence it had on game was 3rd goal with Jones misjudging it. Also, my toes don't feel like someone has been smashing them with a sledgehammer now. Think because the floor is drier & so isn't as cold.

Either that or 2 pairs thermal socks, plus thinsulate gloves & wooly hat have got a role to play....

I got my first ST in 83 in the east stand leazes wing and at the first game as we found our seats I said to my mate "canny fucking view" and a bloke in the next row told me to cut if out as he had his kids there.

Didn't stop me though.

Before we were booted upstairs in the milburn I went through a phase where I accept I swore too much. Sounds daft I know but this was before I moved south and I was taking all my personal shit to the game. Got warned by the stewards a few times and the coppers a couple as well.

Away at Hillsborugh in Mar 94, bloke behind me constantly said "go away & tittle" every time something he didn't like happened in the game, like a kind of OCD euphemism.

Didn't hear him that much as a bloke who'd bought a saxophone in a charity shop that morning was a few rows in front; he couldn't play it but kept making random atonal blasts.

cole scored in 89th minute; canny day out.....

I tell you one thing that's changed, which doesn't really have much to do with atmosphere (incidentally totally agree with stuff on this thread about changing demographics & influence of all seater stadia; it's been like that nigh on 20 years, so a whole generation of people have known no different in terms of mode of supporting); the thing that has changed for me is that the ground is a hell of a lot warmer than it used to be.

Watford on 24th November 1990 was a game I thought I was going to die of exposure at; Quinn pelanty 1-0, Porter the Mackem missed a pelanty for them. Since then the only game I can recall being anywhere near as cold at was the UEFA Cup game after we beat Chelsea in FA Cup in 2005; Heerenveen 2-1.

The fact it's a roofed bowl for the most part means it is fairly sheltered; remember the wind on the night of Man Utd in January - only slight influence it had on game was 3rd goal with Jones misjudging it. Also, my toes don't feel like someone has been smashing them with a sledgehammer now. Think because the floor is drier & so isn't as cold.

Either that or 2 pairs thermal socks, plus thinsulate gloves & wooly hat have got a role to play....

I was at that Watford game you're on about, one of THE worst games I've ever seen, think there was only about 14000 there, I seem to remember we were in the Paddock for some ridiculous reason. I also remember people raving about David James in their goal, who had the most pathetic haircut in life at the time. I have to say though the coldest I've ever been at the match was against Birmingham a few years ago when Emre got a late winner, think it's more to do with age than owt else tbh.

It is warmer, definitely. You don't get that icy blast you used to get.

I also have an OCD reaction in that he we ever fuck up big style or the opposition have a chance they really should have put away I shout 'shit the bed.'

I got my first ST in 83 in the east stand leazes wing and at the first game as we found our seats I said to my mate "canny fucking view" and a bloke in the next row told me to cut if out as he had his kids there.

Didn't stop me though.

Before we were booted upstairs in the milburn I went through a phase where I accept I swore too much. Sounds daft I know but this was before I moved south and I was taking all my personal shit to the game. Got warned by the stewards a few times and the coppers a couple as well.

Aye I do as well, even when I don't have anything to say I'll come out with a random "fuuuckin hell" it's like 90 minute tourettes, the drink doesn't help though.

The Watford game was week after the 0-0 with Barnsley that was even worse (Smith in Sunday Sun saying it was great we kept 2 clean sheets in a row at home). The return v Watford was March 9th or something; we won 2-1 & it was James's last game before he went to Liverpool. Ando scored free kick winner, which he always maintains was best goal he scored for us. Wasn't at that one; down at sister's 21st party at Hull Uni.

Don't recall Birmingham game being that cold; 1-0 on Nov 5th 2005?

The Watford game was week after the 0-0 with Barnsley that was even worse (Smith in Sunday Sun saying it was great we kept 2 clean sheets in a row at home). The return v Watford was March 9th or something; we won 2-1 & it was James's last game before he went to Liverpool. Ando scored free kick winner, which he always maintains was best goal he scored for us. Wasn't at that one; down at sister's 21st party at Hull Uni.

Don't recall Birmingham game being that cold; 1-0 on Nov 5th 2005?

Aye didn't realise it was that long ago.

http://nufc.com/html/2005-06html/2005-11-05birmingham-h.html

Conditions: First Signs of Winter

Aye fuckin winter in Siberia, I physically shook with the cold. How the fat cunts go about with nee top on is beyond me.

great lots of excellent info in these posts so please keep them coming :)

Just so I can nail down things a little more precisely (I only have 500 words to write about all 3 stadiums) can I get answers to the following questions:

1) Do you think the atmosphere would have changed if you had moved to a new stadium on the Town Moore or Castle Leazes

2) Do you think the atmosphere was always going to be diluted by the introduction of all seater stadiums

3) Do you think one of the unique match day atmosphere is so good due to following in the same footsteps as previous generations and if you'd move to say the Town Moor that this would have changed the whole feeling of going to a match?

1. No more than it changed expanding the capacity at St James' Park, and in turn migrating to individual pockets of "atmosphere" (noise / chants etc), which I think has made it worse. I think the spark would have been lost PRIOR to the game, the gut feeling in the build up heading to St James' and taking your position in the gallowgate, leazes corner, etc but I can't see this translating into any loss of atmosphere during the game. I enjoy having a few pints in Shearers or Strawberry before the game ALMOST as much as watching it! It wouldnt be the same if it wasnt St James'.

2. Not sure if diluted is the word but the all seater stadium is far more agreeable for family, tourists, women and kids. The increase in this demographic has definitely changed the atmosphere from the terraces.

3. Yes and see my first answer!

Cheers mate :)

Blackburn at home last season, when Roberts nipped between Colo & Williamson to get the winner was cold as well; took a Canadian friend of family & he was shivering all game, despite coming from Moosejaw Manitoba or some such & being attired similar to Franz Klammer, minus skis

Blackburn at home last season, when Roberts nipped between Colo & Williamson to get the winner was cold as well; took a Canadian friend of family & he was shivering all game, despite coming from Moosejaw Manitoba or some such & being attired similar to Franz Klammer, minus skis

Chelsea last season was colder than anything I experienced on the terracing, Derby as well the season before, same time of year between christmas and new year.

Coldest I've ever been was at "that" game at Stevenage. There was terracing there in front of a temporary stand and we ended up being stood next to old Stevie Charlton...we were taking turns rubbing his hands together for him, fucker was near on turning blue.

Chelsea last season was colder than anything I experienced on the terracing, Derby as well the season before, same time of year between christmas and new year.

Coldest I've ever been was at "that" game at Stevenage. There was terracing there in front of a temporary stand and we ended up being stood next to old Stevie Charlton...we were taking turns rubbing his hands together for him, fucker was near on turning blue.

Wasn't at Chelsea last year; Derby was cold, but worse was ice all over on way out - fell over on it on way to bus to town, which was nice.

Stevenage - we were back row of temp stand; was more frightened of it collapsing than cold.

Most points have been answered as far as Ajax Andy is concerned, all I'll add is you don't always appreciate the freedom to move about the ground at will, to decide to go or not to go on the day itself, and there was the craic which was always great. Most games I'd be in the corner but would sometimes vary and we'd go elsewhere, even when you were in the Scoreboard/corner wherever you could move to or away from any banter. There was the daft rituals and the the to and thro between our own fans as away fans were usually low on numbers. The 'In the seats' song would be met with derision by the East Stand or they'd start the 'United' chant off in reply. The Corner would wait for the response.......If it was muted the East Stand would get 'Get your flasks out for the lads' thrown at them, now and then a bloke would stand up in the ES and try and start it off himself, he was skinny and had a beard, everytime he did it the Gallowgate would shout, 'Kenny Everett, is a wanker, is a wanker' and he'd stand up offering the entire corner on, it was all good banter, a good few years later I bumped into 'Kenny' at work and we had a bit of a laugh when I asked if he was him. Also as a young'un standing next to the big lads and hearing their patter was great, someone would always have a toxic arse and all you'd hear was, 'Fucking hell! Whose that dorty bastard!?" etc.

Remember a bloke (Norman I think he was called), older than us, only ever remember seeing him in the relegation season of 88-89, anyway, he would get on the barriers in the corner and start the singing off, but his favourite was, 'If you're proud to be a Geordie clap your hands'. Thing was he started adapting it, so it would change from 'clap your hands' to 'be a teapot/be a tree' etc and everyone would do the actions, the best one was 'be Dierdre Barlow' cue a thousand or so supporters putting their hands to their faces shouting 'Tracey! Tracey'. :D Gangs of kids would go together, it was just a more free time, no mobile phones and crap attention spans. It was definitely better. Sack the board was a popular song too, like! ;)

Edited by Howmanheyman

There have been three distinct phases for me..

Scoreboard

Before the redevelopment (when I was about 15) I used try to sit on the concrete pillars in the scoreboard. Match day was as much about what happened in the stand as on the pitch. Spillages and banter between the scoreboard and the corner made up for what was invariably awful football. I used to love getting a bovril and some fish and chip crisps, I always tried to avoid using the bogs which were absolutely horrific. The atmosphere it generated was as much about keeping warm as anything else. I may have made this up, but was there a derby match in the middle of winter when the heavens opened, seem to recall it was a draw and Mark McGee scored for us?

Keegan

Stevie mentioned it on the first page but the keegan years were just something else. The hairs used to stand up on your neck as the players emerged and local hero went up. The crowd was still the same as had stood and generated a great atmosphere without a roof. Most of us were just glad to have a season ticket and I know I felt proud of the new stadium. It might not be the same for everyone, but i started out in the Leazes end with the same mates as i'd stood with in the scoreboard. Inevitably the numbers started to dwindle as we went to university etc. Eventually from six people i knew we ended up with me and my mate's dad sitting three seats apart. Part of the matchday experience was going with mates and because of the clamour for season tickets you just couldn't get them together. That spoiled things a bit at home, but away days made up for it.

Exile

I've been down south for six years now and every time I get up home I'll go to the game. I now leave the pub a lot later than i did because the atmosphere is invariably a shadow of what it was. New fans, the main fan base getting old and respectable, young-uns who know no different, have all contributed to it. Again, away days still make up for it though.

Off to Wolves next week, which has a danger of being a "turn up and expect three points" fixture. I hope i'm wrong.

Most points have been answered as far as Ajax Andy is concerned, all I'll add is you don't always appreciate the freedom to move about the ground at will, to decide to go or not to go on the day itself, and there was the craic which was always great. Most games I'd be in the corner but would sometimes vary and we'd go elsewhere, even when you were in the Scoreboard/corner wherever you could move to or away from any banter. There was the daft rituals and the the to and thro between our own fans as away fans were usually low on numbers. The 'In the seats' song would be met with derision by the East Stand or they'd start the 'United' chant off in reply. The Corner would wait for the response.......If it was muted the East Stand would get 'Get your flasks out for the lads' thrown at them, now and then a bloke would stand up in the ES and try and start it off himself, he was skinny and had a beard, everytime he did it the Gallowgate would shout, 'Kenny Everett, is a wanker, is a wanker' and he'd stand up offering the entire corner on, it was all good banter, a good few years later I bumped into 'Kenny' at work and we had a bit of a laugh when I asked if he was him. Also as a young'un standing next to the big lads and hearing their patter was great, someone would always have a toxic arse and all you'd hear was, 'Fucking hell! Whose that dorty bastard!?" etc.

Remember a bloke (Norman I think he was called), older than us, only ever remember seeing him in the relegation season of 88-89, anyway, he would get on the barriers in the corner and start the singing off, but his favourite was, 'If you're proud to be a Geordie clap your hands'. Thing was he started adapting it, so it would change from 'clap your hands' to 'be a teapot/be a tree' etc and everyone would do the actions, the best one was 'be Dierdre Barlow' cue a thousand or so supporters putting their hands to their faces shouting 'Tracey! Tracey'. :D Gangs of kids would go together, it was just a more free time, no mobile phones and crap attention spans. It was definitely better. Sack the board was a popular song too, like! ;)

Norman :lol:

Aye, he looked like a slightly thinner hulk hogan. He used to stand on the barrier going "Oheeeareeeheh aaaniightaamy" Ossie Ardiles black and white army to normal people. It was Norman who was first on the pitch against Boro for the beamback as well, next thing ye naa 14000 follow him. I only ever stood close to him once and he put the rumour about that Harry Roberts was in the corner that day, being younguns we knew Harry Roberts was an OB killer but we took it as face value he was there, and people were pointing to the hotdog stand right in the corner "hes owa there" pmsl.

Aye and the if ye proud to be a geordie stuff started by Norman too :lol: one of them was if ye proud to be a geordie be a tree, and 5000 in the corner would stand like a tree making ruffling noises.

Edited by McFaul

That Hotdog counter under the Gallowgate became a makeshift hospital for me against Boro about 92 in the LC. Me and a kid from work got thrown out of the match for trying to go climb over the grass on the gallowgate steps to get with the rest of our crowd who were in the scoreboard, (normally the police were alright but this was a ticket match and it was different for some reason). Anyway, as we'd paid for our tickets we didn't see why we should miss out, and as we were both a bit pissed we kept toot and when the coast was clear I gave my mate a bunk up the wall in Bootboy alley and he climbed the lowest part of the Gallowgate wall, he then pulled me up and we both cut our hands to bits on the barbed wire/embedded green glass. We got over and a couple of the old dears in the hotdog counter gave us a load of paper napkins to stem the blood. You don't get them experiences at a match, now mind. :lol: