Niall Quinn's Sunderland dream

McFaul

Former Sunderland striker Niall Quinn has confirmed he is hoping to launch a takeover of the club.

Quinn, 39, who spent the last six years of his career on Wearside, is trying to put together a consortium to buy the Black Cats.

He was quoted in the Irish Independent newspaper as saying: "I don't know how much they are going to look for.

"But my worries now would not be financial at this stage unless Sunderland go mad."

He has recently been linked with a buy-out of the club, whose relegation from the Premiership was confirmed on Friday, but had so far not commented.

Quinn, who retired from the game in 2002, says he will not make a formal approach until he is sure that his group have the ability to turn around the struggling club.

He added: "It is not about putting money on the table and making an offer for a football club.

o.gif

end_quote.gif

When I was up there it was like being on a magic carpet when things were going well
end_quote.gif

Niall Quinn

"We have to prove to ourselves before we go near any fans or any club, we are capable of running a football club.

"It is a jungle, as I have found out in the last three weeks.

"It is not a simple thing at all and that is what I am in the middle of - making sure myself and my group are capable of doing a job this club deserves.

"Until we get to the bottom of that we cannot possibly approach Sunderland.

"We want to be ready for Sunderland so every question they ask we can answer them dynamically about what is going to happen."

Quinn, who was a hugely popular figure during his time at the club, also admitted he had not ruled out taking over as manager.

Sunderland sacked Mick McCarthy in March and are under the temporary guidance of Kevin Ball.

Quinn said: "I am afraid of nothing at that football club. When I was up there it was like being on a magic carpet when things were going well.

"The emotion of the people when they are in good form and the club is going well is something to behold.

"Newcastle get 53,000 and they are a pretty big club. Everybody thinks they are far bigger than Sunderland but I know if this club goes right we will be bigger than Newcastle.

"That is what attaches to me to it. It is the potential, it is the people, it is their spirit."

I could've told him then, 6 years ago, what a waste of time it would be, even with hundreds of millions invested, I bet Short feels the same now, and now Niall's dream is over because he's just walked out on the club.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like an alcoholic, the first step on the road to recovery is facing your demons and admitting there's a problem.

"My name is Niall Quinn and Sunderland AFC are not bigger than Newcastle United.

God, it's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders."

Like an alcoholic, the first step on the road to recovery is facing your demons and admitting there's a problem.

"My name is Niall Quinn and Sunderland AFC are not bigger than Newcastle United.

God, it's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders."

:lol:

I wonder what Quinn thought he could do at Sunderland. Compared to Man Utd we're "unfashionable", but Geordie Jeans with turnovers are more fashionable than Sunderland. It doesn't matter what they did, the natural order will always be them behind us for loads of reasons. I mean half their players live in Newcastle ffs. It's like someone coming in at NUFC saying if this club goes right we could be bigger than Man Utd. Foundationless pipe dream and I knew this day would come. Still he's a canny bloke Niall, and I wish him well for the future, he'll probably end up like some JP McManus type imo.

Edited by McFaul

Saturdays crowd the final straw then :lol:

The last time we played Arsenal in the FA Cup there was 51,023 there, that's what he was up against shame it took him 6 years to realise.

The last time we played Arsenal in the FA Cup there was 51,023 there, that's what he was up against shame it took him 6 years to realise.

Thought it was a money making scam with the Irish originally and so on...

He set himself up for the fall by criticising the fans for not going last season. Silly fucker shouldve shut up in the middle of the worst downturn for a generation or two. Crowds are down at most clubs. We only got 30k v Blackburn and it wasnt on the TV. Arsenal at home wouldve ensured 10-15k more than that though and that wouldve been around 25k more than they got on Saturday. Just when things are looking up for them they still cant be arsed to turn up.

He set himself up for the fall by criticising the fans for not going last season. Silly fucker shouldve shut up in the middle of the worst downturn for a generation or two. Crowds are down at most clubs.

I disagree, the top 7 for attendances are the same so far this season as last with the makems in 7th (us 3rd),

Average attendances are

Man U +239,

Arsenal -81,

Us +1207,

Man City +1162,

Liverpool +1990,

Chelsea +205,

Makems -1550

They're not real fans. It's like a load of jake51's all jacking off together. The real fans would be embarrassed if they read some of them comments...

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=675326&page=2#ixzz1mvSZytXR

Apparently we're not real fans now :lol: The sad truth is most of the people on here probably know more about Sunderland than they do. Seem like a huge collection of RhysSAFC's on there sadly. At least some of them recognise the truth though.

Shola Ameobi has scored in the Nou Camp. I don't think Sunderland have even been on the ground tour...

That said they have a decent shot at doing something in the cup the way their luck is going.

“I wished to God our Fans were as good as those at Newcastle!” - Tom Cowie

“I see you have still had no luck in catching me” - Wearside Jack

“Newcastle is a bigger club than Sunderland and it always has been” - Bob Murray

“I wished to God our Fans were as good as those at Newcastle!” - Tom Cowie

“I see you have still had no luck in catching me” - Wearside Jack

“Newcastle is a bigger club than Sunderland and it always has been” - Bob Murray

"SJP is a Rolls Royce compared to Sunderland's Mini Metro" - FFS

I presume it's either his drinking or his accounting.

If it's the former, O'Neill's probably issued Short with an ultimatum & there was only going to be one loser in that battle.

if it's the latter, then presumably the shitstorm caused by HMRC with the Huns may replicate itself on wearyside & Mr Charity has to get out sharpish before the bailiffs arrive.

Personally I despise the self confessed problem drinker & bad parent

I presume it's either his drinking or his accounting.

If it's the former, O'Neill's probably issued Short with an ultimatum & there was only going to be one loser in that battle.

if it's the latter, then presumably the shitstorm caused by HMRC with the Huns may replicate itself on wearyside & Mr Charity has to get out sharpish before the bailiffs arrive.

Personally I despise the self confessed problem drinker & bad parent

He speaks highly of you like ;)

Apparently we're not real fans now :lol: The sad truth is most of the people on here probably know more about Sunderland than they do. Seem like a huge collection of RhysSAFC's on there sadly. At least some of them recognise the truth though.

Erm yes, because the gulf between Newcastle (in the Championship 2 years ago) and Sunderland really is the same as the gulf between Newcastle and Man U. This is the Sunderland only 9 points behind after a disaster of a start to the season, and a Sunderland who finished higher than newcastle for the 3 seasons before (or was it 4?)

:lol: So they finish above us for 3 years and that's it we're suddenly very similar in size. That thread proves what many of us know of the majority of their fanbase (not that it needs proving) how many threads are on that site relating to changing the name of our stadium and other things Ashley has done, yet I don't get 'outraged' by them taking the piss as I expect it as they should have when this happened daft bastards.

They have some nerve having a go at the layout and look of this site btw :lol: with that lovely multicoloured headache of a betting site banner at the top of every page and the very thin post boxes.

Overall Niall leaving is and should be a worrying sign for them, from previous posts on here it seems like he convinced Ellis Short to buy the club underneath the guise it was profitable and had a stadium that sold out every home game or at least it could have been those things which of course wasn't true. Wonder how long Short will stick around now.