Romain Amalfitano

Christmas Tree

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have high hopes for this guy. Never seen him play but a 22 y.o. from Ligue 2 can't be that great. Hopefully he can do a job when called upon.

There are going to be exceptions like anything but chances are he won't be any good.

I'm not expecting him to be the next Zidane by any means but he's clearly a low risk signing and if he turns out to be a useful asset to us then great. If not it won't have cost us a fortune so we won't really be losing anything.

If this guy can do as well as Guthrie that should be considered an enormous success. I'm not trying to say the guy is going to be useless just that not much should be expected of him.

I think the scouting is that advanced of young players in this country that you don't really see many players in their 20's make the jump up to the top level which is why I think people are sceptical when it happens in other leagues.

I have no idea how good the scouting of lower French league teams is however we were linked with Benjamin Corgnet in January, a player that was playing in the French 5th division until he was 23 so some do seem to get overlooked.

If he doesn't work out then he hasn't cost the club much so it's a low risk gamble on our part, like Bassong.

Anyone know owt about this lad? The next cabaye? Or the next obertan?

From earlier in this thread...

Romain Amalfitano regarded as a skilful midfielder in behind strikers. 22. Big potential. Plays Ba role (in case he is poached?)
Simon Bird

Julien Laurens ‏ @LaurensJulien Close

He is a good midfielder, 22, younger brother of Morgan who plays for Marseille. #nufc fans can trust Graham Carr & Pardew again on this one

Sounds canny what Ive read. How he fits in to the squad / league is another matter. But as said, on a free is very little risk for decent return. Likely taken as a squad player but we know we needed improvement in quality. Smith going out and this lad coming in would already make us stronger by one player.

Sounds canny what Ive read. How he fits in to the squad / league is another matter. But as said, on a free is very little risk for decent return. Likely taken as a squad player but we know we needed improvement in quality. Smith going out and this lad coming in would already make us stronger by one player.

My elderly grandfather would make us stronger. probably offers as much on the pitch as smith but at least he makes a cracking brew.

Who is expecting much of him?

You don't think signing for a big premier league club comes with certain expectations?

I'll trust Graeme Carr's scouting knowledge ahead of your hunch that he must be shite like

Fair enough. Chances are I'm right though.