Any website design professionals out there?

ajax_andy

My website has been up and running for about 8-9 months now (www.andyhudsonphotography.co.uk) and shows up if I type "andy hudson photography" in to google.

However it doesn't show up on any searches I do for 'photographer', 'wedding photographer' Newcastle etc etc.

I was wondering how I could get it pushed up the rankings... or rather just have it appear in there?

I've had someone check the SEO and the Meta data and they think it looks fine.

I've just listed my website on Yell and also Thompson Local, I've also listed it on a wedding blog as a featured supplier.

I've been doing plenty of promotion on twitter to drive traffic to the site, and also advertise on Gumtree to do the same.

What else can I do?

Is it just that not enough traffic is going to the site for google to pick it up in anything other than a direct search, or am I missing something else?

Cheers

Andy

I use this https://www.google.com/analytics/ to check the traffic to my website. Not sure how you can bump up to first page or near enough on Google tho.

Thanks I'll have a look in to it.

My mate did the site for me so I can't access it to paste the code on to the pages, but he's setting something up to give me access... hopefully I'll be able to do it then

that still won't boost you that swiftly, you could use adwords as well (which we did recently and does work) but i can be expensive

yeah my site has big long waffling paragrahs using many key words and it's not helped (well not yet anyway).

Adwords is a good suggestion for the future, anything expensive would have to be looked at next year I think as just spent a grand on a new camera so until my wedding bookings fully pay up I'm ridiculously skint :(

In your industry adwords will pay for themself (deposits etc). Go for just typo's if you proper skint. I'm pretty sure Google still give £50 credit for each new account, so you can have a try for free.

Sites with keywords in the URL always rank high, so setting up a few of them would help. I would advise setting them up as separate sites, then post a few questions (with the link) in the photography / Newcastle section of yahoo answer. After around four weeks add a link on them to a page on your main site that has the same keyword in the page title and folder structure. Also, make sure the keyword is in an <h1> tag.

Also, if you haven't already done it, you should also register the business with Google so it appears on the map. Make sure you get a few friends to write a review as affects where you are placed. if you setup a few micro sites, register them as well.

I'd also recommend setting up a facebook page just for your wedding stuff and offer a discount for 50+ likes. Google are definitely tracking facebook-like trends and will soon be using them.

I started my company on a shoe string budget overdraft, if things are really tight I'd sack off all the internet stuff and do some guerrilla marketing at the wedding fayres. There's plenty of ways to get your business card out there without paying for it. Look for any of the stalls with carrier bags and ask if you can drop your card in them.

In your industry adwords will pay for themself (deposits etc). Go for just typo's if you proper skint. I'm pretty sure Google still give £50 credit for each new account, so you can have a try for free.

Sites with keywords in the URL always rank high, so setting up a few of them would help. I would advise setting them up as separate sites, then post a few questions (with the link) in the photography / Newcastle section of yahoo answer. After around four weeks add a link on them to a page on your main site that has the same keyword in the page title and folder structure. Also, make sure the keyword is in an <h1> tag.

Also, if you haven't already done it, you should also register the business with Google so it appears on the map. Make sure you get a few friends to write a review as affects where you are placed. if you setup a few micro sites, register them as well.

I'd also recommend setting up a facebook page just for your wedding stuff and offer a discount for 50+ likes. Google are definitely tracking facebook-like trends and will soon be using them.

I started my company on a shoe string budget overdraft, if things are really tight I'd sack off all the internet stuff and do some guerrilla marketing at the wedding fayres. There's plenty of ways to get your business card out there without paying for it. Look for any of the stalls with carrier bags and ask if you can drop your card in them.

Great advice, thanks for all that :)

Basic things you need: unique content and lots of links.

Lots of companies have blogs these days. This gives your site fresh, new content on a regular basis which means users and Google has a reason to return to your site. If Google likes to see that you're constantly updating. Blogs (or similar) come in a variety of forms -- the best are industry related (ie not just about you - "today I took some photos", "today I edited some photos"), reviews (what you think of various cameras etc) or how to guides (simple tips that show you as an expert and will actually help photographers, but not enough that your skills aren't needed). Obviously chucking in a few links back to your site with words like photography as the anchor text will help.

Getting external links is trickier. Until about a year ago directories and article/PR sites were popular, but because of Google's Panda update these techniques don't work so well. They're probably still good for new sites, but won't help once you get to a certain stage. Guest blogging is popular -- basically you write a post for another site and they give you a bio explaining who you are and give a couple of links back to your site. If you have a blog on your own site doing guides, it's best to write about something else (reviews, maybe) for other sites. If you can, a regular 'column' on another blog is good, but it's worthwhile trying to get one post on lots of related sites. This increases your exposure and your backlink count. My Blog Guest is a good place to find blogs that accept guest posts.

Basic things you need: unique content and lots of links.

Lots of companies have blogs these days. This gives your site fresh, new content on a regular basis which means users and Google has a reason to return to your site. If Google likes to see that you're constantly updating. Blogs (or similar) come in a variety of forms -- the best are industry related (ie not just about you - "today I took some photos", "today I edited some photos"), reviews (what you think of various cameras etc) or how to guides (simple tips that show you as an expert and will actually help photographers, but not enough that your skills aren't needed). Obviously chucking in a few links back to your site with words like photography as the anchor text will help.

Getting external links is trickier. Until about a year ago directories and article/PR sites were popular, but because of Google's Panda update these techniques don't work so well. They're probably still good for new sites, but won't help once you get to a certain stage. Guest blogging is popular -- basically you write a post for another site and they give you a bio explaining who you are and give a couple of links back to your site. If you have a blog on your own site doing guides, it's best to write about something else (reviews, maybe) for other sites. If you can, a regular 'column' on another blog is good, but it's worthwhile trying to get one post on lots of related sites. This increases your exposure and your backlink count. My Blog Guest is a good place to find blogs that accept guest posts.

Thanks mate that's all great advice :)

I actually write for another blog already so will see if and how my site is listed on there, and ask for it to be if not.

I'll have a think about how i can update my blog more with relevant content too.

Does the whole link thing have to generate traffic for Google to pick it up, or is it just purely ok for me to have links as long as they are in the right place even if no-ones clicking on them?

Andy, have you been exhibiting at wedding shows? I'm currently trying to get a wedding photographer and every one we've shortlisted is because we've seen them at a wedding show and been able to have a look at the albums there and then rather than purely looking at a website then having to visit each photographer individually.

Andy, have you been exhibiting at wedding shows? I'm currently trying to get a wedding photographer and every one we've shortlisted is because we've seen them at a wedding show and been able to have a look at the albums there and then rather than purely looking at a website then having to visit each photographer individually.

Not yet but it's part of my plan for next year. It costs a few hundred to have a stand and I haven't been charging enough to justify the outlay tbh. A years more experience and a price hike, and I'll be hitting the shows though as it's a great way to meet potential clients :)

Edited by ajax_andy

Aye, just make sure that you have a decent portfolio and sample albums with you. I saw a couple that were just starting out and only had a couple of sample albums with them, needless to say they didn't get a second look.

Aye, just make sure that you have a decent portfolio and sample albums with you. I saw a couple that were just starting out and only had a couple of sample albums with them, needless to say they didn't get a second look.

Yeah exactly... I need to look as good and as professional as everyone else of I'll stand no chance.

By the end of this year I should have about 10 weddings under my belt so lots in my portfolio to show people

A decent wedding photographer should come to see you...not the other way round

I meet clients before anything is signed if that's what you mean?

take for example I met a bride to be on Saturday, went through all the details of the day, what time they needed a photographer from, what time till, what they had planned for the day, any surprise things I should be aware of... then once I've written it all down I ask them if they have any questions... I answer any they do, once I'm satisfied they have no more I ask if they would like to go ahead and book me.

I'm quite thorough and the meeting lasts at least an hour. I do this in their home or at the venue where they are getting married.

Tbh I've never heard of any photographers round here coming to prospective clients' homes. I feel like I'm being short changed now.

Gotta say i know it's not common and one of the reasons I do it because I think it's nice for the client and shows I will go the extra mile to make everything as good as possible for them.

Someone who isn't interested in coming to meet you probably wont do anything other than the bare minimum IMO... now their bare minimum may still be fantastic, but still they could do so much better if they were willing to put the effort in.

I would always expect a photographer to at least meet you at the venue a month or so before the wedding to get a feel for how your day will be, wher things will be and just try and understand how your day will work. If they don't do this I'd not book them

Edited by ajax_andy

Basic things you need: unique content and lots of links. Lots of companies have blogs these days. This gives your site fresh, new content on a regular basis which means users and Google has a reason to return to your site. If Google likes to see that you're constantly updating. Blogs (or similar) come in a variety of forms -- the best are industry related (ie not just about you - "today I took some photos", "today I edited some photos"), reviews (what you think of various cameras etc) or how to guides (simple tips that show you as an expert and will actually help photographers, but not enough that your skills aren't needed). Obviously chucking in a few links back to your site with words like photography as the anchor text will help. Getting external links is trickier. Until about a year ago directories and article/PR sites were popular, but because of Google's Panda update these techniques don't work so well. They're probably still good for new sites, but won't help once you get to a certain stage. Guest blogging is popular -- basically you write a post for another site and they give you a bio explaining who you are and give a couple of links back to your site. If you have a blog on your own site doing guides, it's best to write about something else (reviews, maybe) for other sites. If you can, a regular 'column' on another blog is good, but it's worthwhile trying to get one post on lots of related sites. This increases your exposure and your backlink count. My Blog Guest is a good place to find blogs that accept guest posts.
Thanks mate that's all great advice :) I actually write for another blog already so will see if and how my site is listed on there, and ask for it to be if not. I'll have a think about how i can update my blog more with relevant content too. Does the whole link thing have to generate traffic for Google to pick it up, or is it just purely ok for me to have links as long as they are in the right place even if no-ones clicking on them?

The main point in ranking well on Google is to get traffic, so if you can build links that automatically get you traffic that's best. You don't necessarily need people to click on them for Google to find them, they just need to be on pages/sites that Google will crawl. The better the site, the quicker it'll be seen and the more value it'll give your site. Having a load of links on crap sites might help as you start a site, but won't do much for you later on.

Yup, if you look at the forums on here now i've changed it so the old style "viewtopic.php?id=234234" type link is gone and it's been replaced with "friendly" urls so when people search for things like Davide Santon, the davide santon thread on here gets picked up better due to the tags/url with his name etc in it.

Do you mean like this:

http://www.andyhudsonphotography.co.uk/weddings

i.e. a URL that is short and has the important word in it?

Sorry I'm not particulary good with the web side of things

Basic things you need: unique content and lots of links. Lots of companies have blogs these days. This gives your site fresh, new content on a regular basis which means users and Google has a reason to return to your site. If Google likes to see that you're constantly updating. Blogs (or similar) come in a variety of forms -- the best are industry related (ie not just about you - "today I took some photos", "today I edited some photos"), reviews (what you think of various cameras etc) or how to guides (simple tips that show you as an expert and will actually help photographers, but not enough that your skills aren't needed). Obviously chucking in a few links back to your site with words like photography as the anchor text will help. Getting external links is trickier. Until about a year ago directories and article/PR sites were popular, but because of Google's Panda update these techniques don't work so well. They're probably still good for new sites, but won't help once you get to a certain stage. Guest blogging is popular -- basically you write a post for another site and they give you a bio explaining who you are and give a couple of links back to your site. If you have a blog on your own site doing guides, it's best to write about something else (reviews, maybe) for other sites. If you can, a regular 'column' on another blog is good, but it's worthwhile trying to get one post on lots of related sites. This increases your exposure and your backlink count. My Blog Guest is a good place to find blogs that accept guest posts.
Thanks mate that's all great advice :) I actually write for another blog already so will see if and how my site is listed on there, and ask for it to be if not. I'll have a think about how i can update my blog more with relevant content too. Does the whole link thing have to generate traffic for Google to pick it up, or is it just purely ok for me to have links as long as they are in the right place even if no-ones clicking on them?

The main point in ranking well on Google is to get traffic, so if you can build links that automatically get you traffic that's best. You don't necessarily need people to click on them for Google to find them, they just need to be on pages/sites that Google will crawl. The better the site, the quicker it'll be seen and the more value it'll give your site. Having a load of links on crap sites might help as you start a site, but won't do much for you later on.

Ahh ok, so say for example Yell will get a lot of hits, so even if no-one clicks on the link to my website, just them being on the page with my link will help?

Or am I being very dumb here? (probably yes)

Andy, I'm no expert but afaik they don't have to be clicked, they just have to be there, I think they're called backlinks.

You can check your website here http://backlinkwatch.com/ to see where your site is being linked from.

Cheers mate, I've registered with Yell, Thompson local andm Scooch but non have have been accepted yet so i dont have any meaningful back links... hopefully when these are confirmed it'll help.

I'll also try and find some other places to get the site listed :)