Homeland

LeazesMag

watched pilot episode of this on Sunday night, episode 2 is this coming Sunday.

About a US marine found after 8 years missing in Afghanistan, goes home, and it appears he may now be an Al-Queda agent, 12 part series and seems quite good.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the first episode last night. Dramatically it was excellent.

I had to stop watching 24 because it left too sour a taste in my mouth with it's scaremongering, so I'll be interested to see if this manages to keep me coming back for more threat hyping.

About a US marine found after 8 years missing in Afghanistan, goes home, and it appears he may now be an Al-Queda agent, 12 part series and seems quite good.

It's excellent. I've got through the whole first series and it doesn't dissapoint. It's interesting as well in the sense that the viewers expectations are flipped more than once. One of the best series to come out of the Showtime stable.

Stick with it. Right up your street. ;)

I had to stop watching 24 because it left too sour a taste in my mouth with it's scaremongering, so I'll be interested to see if this manages to keep me coming back for more threat hyping.

24 is shite compared to this. Not that I've watched a single ep of 24. :lol: I don't like that actor.

http://www.sho.com/site/homeland/home.sho

Edited by Park Life

It's excellent. I've got through the whole first series and it doesn't dissapoint. It's interesting as well in the sense that the viewers expectations are flipped more than once. One of the best series to come out of the Showtime stable.

is it in Germany, or is it repeated ?????

Don't know what made me watch it, we were just looking around and saw the intro and stuck with it, and as you say Parky, it was very good.

Edited by LeazesMag

never seen 24, what is that ?

She's mental, too mental.

what ?

It's a great show, I really enjoyed it. But I think the lass is a bit too crazy and sex obsessed to be believable in that role.

Not that that inhibits my enjoyment, she's rather lovely, and of course it's suspension of disbelief all round.

Edited by trophyshy

Poof.

24 is largely excellent, especially the first few series. Even the poor ones were better than most of the shite out at the time.

Homeland is one that I meant to Sky+, need to get onto it.

One agent is responsible for killing a lot of terrorists and stopping lots of terrorist plots. If you can handle the 24 episodes per series and the fact that it plays out in real time then I reckon it'd be right up your street.

Poof.

24 is largely excellent, especially the first few series. Even the poor ones were better than most of the shite out at the time.

Homeland is one that I meant to Sky+, need to get onto it.

:lol:

I thought the first 3 seasons or so of 24 were excellent. The more people he tortured information from to to save 4 or 5 immininent threats a day the more tiresome it got. I kept going until series 6 or something waiting for the one where he stops some rogue US troops pissing on the corpses of collateral damage Afghans. Never quite got to that level of balance ;)

One agent is responsible for killing a lot of terrorists and stopping lots of terrorist plots. If you can handle the 24 episodes per series and the fact that it plays out in real time then I reckon it'd be right up your street.

It wouldn't most definitely reinforce Leazes world view, aye. :D

24 is shite compared to this. Not that I've watched a single ep of 24. :lol:

I'd be surprised if you've actually seen an episode of Homeland either ;)

is it in Germany, or is it repeated ?????

Don't know what made me watch it, we were just looking around and saw the intro and stuck with it, and as you say Parky, it was very good.

I tease them out of the ether. ;)

similar to Rocky43 ?

It's coming to Sky Arts...

Sky Arts has acquired acclaimed Israeli drama Prisoners of War (Hatufim), on which hit US series Homeland is based.

The foreign-language drama will receive its UK television premiere on Sky Arts 1 in May.

Prisoners of War tells the the story of three IDF soldiers who were captured during active service behind enemy lines in Lebanon. Seventeen years later, the soldiers are released (only two come back alive) and the story of their time in captivity unfolds as they attempt to reintegrate into society. As well as handling the national hero status being thrust upon them via the public limelight, they try to cope with the pressures of being reintroduced to their families and friends.

Prisoners of War’s plot unravels through three time plains; before capture, life in captivity and the present day, which all intertwine to reveal dark secrets about the soldiers' time in captivity.

The ten-part series, written and directed by Gideon Raff, originally aired on Israeli commercial channel Keshet Broadcasting, channel 2. It will air in the UK with English subtitles.

Prisoners of War formed the basis for US drama Homeland starring Damian Lewis and Claire Danes, which began its run on Channel 4 on Sunday.

James Hunt, Director Sky Arts, said: “With finely crafted writing and critical and audience acclaim when it first aired in Israel, we’re delighted to be able to bring this brilliant and gripping foreign drama to the UK for the first time exclusively on the channel.”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-02-21/sky-arts-1-to-show-hatufim---the-israeli-drama-that-inspired-homeland

It's coming to Sky Arts...

Sky Arts has acquired acclaimed Israeli drama Prisoners of War (Hatufim), on which hit US series Homeland is based.

The foreign-language drama will receive its UK television premiere on Sky Arts 1 in May.

Prisoners of War tells the the story of three IDF soldiers who were captured during active service behind enemy lines in Lebanon. Seventeen years later, the soldiers are released (only two come back alive) and the story of their time in captivity unfolds as they attempt to reintegrate into society. As well as handling the national hero status being thrust upon them via the public limelight, they try to cope with the pressures of being reintroduced to their families and friends.

Prisoners of War’s plot unravels through three time plains; before capture, life in captivity and the present day, which all intertwine to reveal dark secrets about the soldiers' time in captivity.

The ten-part series, written and directed by Gideon Raff, originally aired on Israeli commercial channel Keshet Broadcasting, channel 2. It will air in the UK with English subtitles.

Prisoners of War formed the basis for US drama Homeland starring Damian Lewis and Claire Danes, which began its run on Channel 4 on Sunday.

James Hunt, Director Sky Arts, said: “With finely crafted writing and critical and audience acclaim when it first aired in Israel, we’re delighted to be able to bring this brilliant and gripping foreign drama to the UK for the first time exclusively on the channel.”

http://www.radiotime...spired-homeland

Makes sense of my early doors comments to Mrs P like, "Typical they've given this Jew the pivotal thinking man role". :lol:

MV5BMTg2NjkxMjM5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDcxNDQ5Ng@@._V1._CR341,0,1365,1365_SS99_.jpg

:lol:

The more I read about it the less hopeful i am it'll be anything more than a slower paced version of 24 to give it a veneer of respectibility.

Howard Gordon developed it from the Israeli show, and he was Show Runner on 24 for the entuire run. He's also a scary promoter of Jewery

There is a disconnect [in Hollywood] between the content that we create and its impact on the world. One of the things that Hollywood needs to understand is that it has an impact: We are the face of America; what we create is how people perceive us. I’m not suggesting we create self-conscious propaganda, but we do have an outsized power. It probably wouldn’t be a bad thing if more people like me open our eyes to the influence that we have beyond our own borders.

We have an opportunity to present certain essential truths about America. America is a country based on ideas and values, so if we represent that, it is going to be seen and exported across the world. That’s the best advertisement for an America that is too often vilified: We’re imperfect, but we’re the greatest country in the history of man.

:unsure:

Have you watched Homeland?

If not don't have a moments doubt about it. It's very good. There are some real jaw dropping moments and the chain of narrative is displaced many a time by plot splits that catch you off guard.

Also there is something else going on with it in the sense that there is an ultimate good at play within the character of the ex-marine with flashback structure used sparingly and well. Idealism being beyond the scope of mere nationalism and nations is also a very controversial theme at play for the connesieur.

The outsider who has been to the 'other village' comes back changed. There is that too, a mythos of who we are and who we perceive we can be.

Edited by Park Life