NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

Llambias has spoken on what to expect this summer...

New faces for next season: "We have targets for the summer, and we're not in a position of having to beg. People are saying, 'Ah Newcastle. Of course we want to talk to you'. We do a brilliant video presentation - very sharp, it is great - and it opens eyes to what the club, the fans and the city are all about.

Selling members of the current squad: "We'll be losing one or two names this summer, but that'll be regenerated back into the squad. Alan's plan is to get a smaller squad, with better quality - so the bench is better. That's our aim over the next two years. We can't do it all this summer - we're not sure what the market will be like this summer when we're trading. We will lose some faces. For instance, Tiote has been with us a year and a half. He is out there. People know he's a good player. He's proven in the Premier League, he's not picking up as many yellow cards, he's learning. How are we going to stop a big club from coming in for him? It'll be very hard. One thing in our favour is that we now have a very good side and that might encourage the player to stay. But if someone knocks on the door and says they want this or that money, the reality may be that we have to trade."

Out

Leon Best - Blackburn £3m

Fraser Forster - Celtic £2m

Alan Smith - Contract expired

Danny Guthrie - Contract expired

Peter Lovenkrands - Contract expired

Tamas Kadar - Released

Players without first team experience also released:-

Sam Adjei

Stevie Folan

Jeff Henderson

Phil Airey

Greg McDermott

Patrick Nzuzi

Ryan Donaldson

In

Romain Amalfitano - Free

Curtis Good - £400k

Gael Bigirimana - £1m

Vurnon Anita - £6.7m

Edited by Happy Face
Update with confirmed changes

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardew said something similar in January, there really isn't any need for it.

Interesting that he wants to cut the squad size and it's understandable he wants a higher standard of player through the squad.

It's certainly true our bench isn't strong enough. Our squad is already small imo but not good enough, there isn't enough competition for certain places, particularly in defence. Not sure we could afford decent back up to all our first teamers mind you.

What are the odds on us qualifying for the Europa League? certainly not odds on but a good chance I'd say. This gives the impression that either theyre going to sabotage our league posistion themselves to prevent it or theyve not taken it into consideration in the planning for next season. I'm keen on european football, but I think it would be utterly pointless next season.

I agree that we could do with a smaller but better squad. there are a load of players we could move on and only replace every other one. But Im talking about the Smiths, Perchs and Lovenkrands and not Tiote's, That said, the former wont command much of a fee (only a save in wages) while tiote would. Like I felt Pardew did, its almost like he is asking for an approach.

There's already a thread for this isn't there?

Anyway.....

Alan's plan is to get a smaller squad, with better quality - so the bench is better.

Not what I want to hear.

Reads to me like we're looking to improve the bench as a priority, as opposed to improving the first team which would, as a result, improve the bench with first teamers squeezed out. Perhaps I'm being unfair.

I'd want replacements for Simpson and STaylor, with both dropping to the bench as reasonable cover. Whether Santon covers left or right would determine which side we buy a fullback for.

Also desirable would be improved replacements, or at least good competion for Gutierez and Obertan with both of those good for the bench.

Being greedy we could have Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse and another forward/No.10 type of that standard fighting for the front 2 places, with Best, Shola and Ranger put out to pasture.

Guthrie's canny for the bench, but if Tiote's away I wouldn't be keen with him as first choice, and he's the only one I'm happy covering in the middle, so that could do with strengthening too.

SO basically, we need to buy first teamers for all positions on the park but keeper ;)

Edited by Happy Face

Newcastle United in move for Sweden striker John Guidetti

Mar 11 2012 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE United are interested in Sweden striker John Guidetti – if Manchester City decide they don’t want the scoring sensation.

The 19-year-old has been in phenomenal form during a loan spell at Feyenoord, notching 18 goals in 16 games to catch the eye of some of the world’s best teams.

And United – who will release Peter Lovenkrands and may sell Leon Best this summer – want to be kept abreast of his availability as they look to build a squad capable of challenging for Europe EVERY year.

Sunderland are also understood to be interested, but Guidetti wouldn’t be short on suitors if City decide that they don’t want him anymore.

The teenager faces a big challenge to get into the City team with their vast array of strikers – and Roberto Mancini has already said he wants Robin van Persie in the summer.

Guidetti wants to play regularly next year, and he said: “The question is very simple.

“I want to play and if in Manchester they see me as the fourth or fifth choice, then I would rather go to a club where I can play.”

Anyway.....

Alan's plan is to get a smaller squad, with better quality - so the bench is better.

Not what I want to hear.

Reads to me like we're looking to improve the bench as a priority, as opposed to improving the first team which would, as a result, improve the bench with first teamers squeezed out. Perhaps I'm being unfair.

I'd want replacements for Simpson and STaylor, with both dropping to the bench as reasonable cover. Whether Santon covers left or right would determine which side we buy a fullback for.

Also desirable would be improved replacements, or at least good competion for Gutierez and Obertan with both of those good for the bench.

Being greedy we could have Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse and another forward/No.10 type of that standard fighting for the front 2 places, with Best, Shola and Ranger put out to pasture.

Guthrie's canny for the bench, but if Tiote's away I wouldn't be keen with him as first choice, and he's the only one I'm happy covering in the middle, so that could do with strengthening too.

SO basically, we need to buy first teamers for all positions on the park but keeper ;)

exactly.

Improve the bench ? Fuck me.

Theyve all got you on ignore Leazes, they cant see your question :)

I think Ashleys praying we dont qualify for Europe. I never thought Id say this but so do I. If we qualify for the Europa League I wouldnt be surprised if we have a flirt with relegation next season. Certainly we wont finish in the top 7.

Anyway.....

Not what I want to hear.

I think you're reading too much into it to be honest.

I think Ashleys praying we dont qualify for Europe. I never thought Id say this but so do I. If we qualify for the Europa League I wouldnt be surprised if we have a flirt with relegation next season. Certainly we wont finish in the top 7.

Why ever would he want us to fail to qualify?

Theyve all got you on ignore Leazes, they cant see your question :) I think Ashleys praying we dont qualify for Europe. I never thought Id say this but so do I. If we qualify for the Europa League I wouldnt be surprised if we have a flirt with relegation next season. Certainly we wont finish in the top 7.

Err...Llambias's comments above? smaller squad? European campaign?....or am I reading it all wrong? Is there some deep underlying truth am missing? or should we not take the chairmans comments at face value?...

I said in another thread it will be interesting to see how the club handled a flit in europe. We have seen how they handle the club when it is making a loss. But with extra income from Europe it would be different. We would need a stronger squad (not just a fucking bench!) and we could potentially make profit on trading. Would they increase the wage bill to compensate for profit etc.

Theyve all got you on ignore Leazes, they cant see your question :) I think Ashleys praying we dont qualify for Europe. I never thought Id say this but so do I. If we qualify for the Europa League I wouldnt be surprised if we have a flirt with relegation next season. Certainly we wont finish in the top 7.

Err...Llambias's comments above? smaller squad? European campaign?....or am I reading it all wrong? Is there some deep underlying truth am missing? or should we not take the chairmans comments at face value?...

I don't see the problem in cutting the squad down as we've got players that are practically irrelevant anyway, that doesn't mean we don't want to qualify for Europe but more that we would rather cut the dead weight and use their wages to improve the smaller group.

Hypothetically if nobody leaves this summer (including out of contract players) we would be at our 25 man limit already I think from a quick scan, now considering some of them have little chance of getting a game for us anyway I can see the logic of bringing this number down to between 18-20 and reinvesting the wages into forming a better quality squad.

:lol: only emphasises their inability to respond intelligently, and what a bunch of babies they are.

I said in another thread it will be interesting to see how the club handled a flit in europe. We have seen how they handle the club when it is making a loss. But with extra income from Europe it would be different. We would need a stronger squad (not just a fucking bench!) and we could potentially make profit on trading. Would they increase the wage bill to compensate for profit etc.

it could be different ? It could also quicken the realisation that they are not prepared to spend more than x amount of money to attempt to go higher and will pocket it instead ?

It's wierd this, because everybody I actually go to the match with, also sussed him out ages ago too.

I don't see the problem in cutting the squad down as we've got players that are practically irrelevant anyway, that doesn't mean we don't want to qualify for Europe but more that we would rather cut the dead weight and use their wages to improve the smaller group.

Hypothetically if nobody leaves this summer (including out of contract players) we would be at our 25 man limit already I think from a quick scan, now considering some of them have little chance of getting a game for us anyway I can see the logic of bringing this number down to between 18-20 and reinvesting the wages into forming a better quality squad.

deluded nonsense.

Or they're just bored of you. Either you get banned or people put you on ignore. Doesn't that tell you something about how people percieve your posting style on here?

go for the truth. I can't help it if they can't take it. Are you saying people should get banned for having an opinion ? What if time proves it to be indisputably correct ? This time last year, Toonpac was saying re. the Carroll cash, "wait until after the summer deadline" before knocking the ambitions.

Edited by LeazesMag