NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our excellent season have put us in a sudden position of having to re-evaluate which players are not good enough to replicate a Top6-7 finish.

I do believe Simpson falls in that categori, Williamson too but with another CB in and taylor coming back I cant see him getting much playing time anyway.

I'd definitely agree about the need to move on from Williamson, as glad as I am that he's been around to cover Taylor this season. Dunno about Simpson, you tend to hear mixed things. He always seems to be on the goal line saving us from conceding certain goals, which I guess is a positive, but you don't tend to hear much else about his game...

I don't think too much needs changing otherwise, although we'd need a third prong on the 4-3-3 if Ba goes.

He's a perfectly good backup. I actually think he has played better this season than people give him credit for. He's a popular choice as a scapegoat but he has been an important player for us. At least defensively, he can't cross to save himself.

As good a season as he is having, people are constantly talking about the need to "protect" him.

Is that really the sign of someone good enough?

I am also "sort of" fine having him as backup, however with his big headed attitute and wage demands,

will he be perfectly fine warming the bench for prolonged periods?

Yeah well it all depends on the wages he is prepared to accept. If we can get better for less transfer fee plus wages than what he wants simply for wages then I'm all for it. Would be difficult though I imagine. Would be good to get a left back, move Santon over and get in a talented youngster but we should be doing that anyway regardless of whether Simpson stays or goes.

Yeah well it all depends on the wages he is prepared to accept. If we can get better for less transfer fee plus wages than what he wants simply for wages then I'm all for it. Would be difficult though I imagine. Would be good to get a left back, move Santon over and get in a talented youngster but we should be doing that anyway regardless of whether Simpson stays or goes.

We'll see if we can keep a hold of him after the Euro's, England's next right back you know!

For the quoted wage demands ( around 25k a week afaik) we could probably pretty much pick and choose from Ligue 1, selling him would cover a transfer fee too..

Sounds a bit FM-tastic perhaps, but I wont try to hide the fact that I dont think his ability justifies 25 grand a week.

As a fringe player he is worth 10k for the squad depth he offers from the bench, and it seems like the NUFC regime sort of agrees since negotiations seems to have stalled somewhat.

I hope someone better graces that position come august, simple as.

We'll see if we can keep a hold of him after the Euro's, England's next right back you know!

aye :lol:

Interestingly Gary Neville had Simpson in his top three right backs in the league alongside Kyle Walker and Ivanovic.

I think he's had a very good season. There has been very little coming down the right, I don't recall too many games that he's been put under too much pressure.

He is poor offensively, but I'm not sure how much that matters when Ben Arfa is in front of you.

The grass isn't always greener. For me he's more solid than Santon and having Santon and Ben Arfa on the right (as has been mooted) would be phenomenal going forward, but a potential liability going backwards...

Interestingly Gary Neville had Simpson in his top three right backs in the league alongside Kyle Walker and Ivanovic.

I think he's had a very good season. There has been very little coming down the right, I don't recall too many games that he's been put under too much pressure.

He is poor offensively, but I'm not sure how much that matters when Ben Arfa is in front of you.

The grass isn't always greener. For me he's more solid than Santon and having Santon and Ben Arfa on the right (as has been mooted) would be phenomenal going forward, but a potential liability going backwards...

Agreed. I wouldn't mind a cafu style right back that pins back left wingers and puts in good crosses. Simpson is never going to be that player in a million years. What he is, is a solid premier league full back that had been part of one of the tightest defences in the league. I'd welcome a new right back but I wouldn't be in a massive hurry to sell Simpson. He's been an ever present this season, our best for years. He's a limited player but you have to say he's done his jon well this season and earned a new deal. Same goes for Guthrie.

I have actually watched a few games where I have in particular focused on Simpson and his every touch and movement. If you do that for 90 minutes, you quickly realise he is simply not a good fotballer.

Also did it with williamson a few weeks back and fuck me if half his passes isnt back to the keeper, while nearly stumbling/falling over with every touch.

Santon should be competing with Simpson for right back next season, either could then be cover for a new left back.

Santon's defensive positioning and tackling has been suspect, but he had his best performance for us last start so is hopefully beginning to settle in the faster paced league. He's vastly superior getting forward, but the problem with that is he's not particularly hard working or tireless and so takes a while to get back into position.

If Guthrie goes it will be for more money to a lower ranked club where he'll need to prove himself again. He may well do that but as others have said I think we'll be the biggest club he'll play for (liverwho?). Ashley won't pay overs for him or reward him for his 'loyalty' particularly with some promising youngsters coming through and with our record of signing continental players.

Forster will go, no sense for him in coming back to deputise for Krul as he has no chance of unseating him. It will only hurt us if whatsisname has to play due to injury as he's been poor from the extremely limited amount I have seen.

If I were Guthrie, I'd be asking myself why have 2 Argentinian international players re signed and may well finish their top level careers with us?...he's been offered 25k a week to play a significant part in a squad that plays in front of 50k+ every fortnight. I cant think of another club where a player of his ability going to get an offer like that. A lot depends on what his agent is whispering in his ear, but hes a silly fucker if he doesn't sign iyam.

Two things at play with Guthrie.

1. Will he get regular football here.

2. Spondoolas.

Up until recently I would have said 100% he will be gone. Basically depends if Pardew sees him in his plans going forward.

I dont really have any problem with a player moving on to get actual game time whether that is at a bigger club or smaller one.

If I were Guthrie, I'd be asking myself why have 2 Argentinian international players re signed and may well finish their top level careers with us?...he's been offered 25k a week to play a significant part in a squad that plays in front of 50k+ every fortnight. I cant think of another club where a player of his ability going to get an offer like that. A lot depends on what his agent is whispering in his ear, but hes a silly fucker if he doesn't sign iyam.

I agree mate, but Guthrie has developed nicely the last season - if this continues I wouldnt be surprised if he became good enough to hold down a starter position in a upper-table team.

The lad has ambition, there is nothing wrong with that.

Does anybody else think that the centre mid position suits Jonas nicely?

yup. his through balls are way better than his crosses from out wide, his defensive work - particularly his harrying off the ball - is excellent plus he has the engine to be a true box to box player.

de-jong-luuk-netherlands.jpg

Whether or not Demba Ba is a Magpie next season, United continue to assess possible transfer targets and have watched the progress of FC Twente striker Luuk De Jong this season with interest.

The 21-year old Swiss-born striker is a current Dutch international and scored his 21st league of the season during a 2-2 draw at AZ Alkmaar on Wednesday night.

An international colleague of Tim Krul, ex-De Graafschap player De Jong has scored once in his seven senior appearances for the Netherlands to date. Luuk's elder brother Siem - also a Dutch international - is at Ajax.

After that game, Twente boss Steve Maclaren refused to answer media questions regarding interest in a number of his players from Premier League clubs, notably defender Douglas. The Dutch side have already agreed a deal for their Australian forward Brett Holman to join Aston Villa at the end of this season.

Friday's Chronicle also speculates that United are monitoring Heerenveen centre forward Bas Dost. The 22 year-old Dutch U21 international is the leading scorer in the Eredivisie, with 25 goals in 29 league outings so far.

from NUFC.com