NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- We're not getting linked to CBs as much as I'd like. Indeed that Journal article CT posted suggested we're not in for one at all. I'd like to think this is partly down to the manager having faith in one of the younger lads making the step up. Taylor and Coloccini I'm happy with, but I'm naturally a lot less happy if one of them is out and if you ask me that position needs strengthening.

I think we showed with last summer, when we were after a striker, that if there isn't a deal there for one of our preferred options we will just say "right, wait til january" rather than just keep going down and down the list.

I'm fine with that more long term thinking, if we think Colo, Taylor, Williamson and youngsters like this aussie lad we've just signed will do until we can find the right deal (as we did with cisse)

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11915/7851120/Magpies-in-Twente-talks

Sky Sports understands that a delegation from Newcastle United have arrived in Holland to open talks with FC Twente over Luuk de Jong and Douglas.

Newcastlespacer.gif have already seen one bid of €10million (£8million) for de Jong rejected by Twente and they have now reported to upped that to €12million (£10milion).

However, sources close to the deal have confirmed to Sky Sports that Twente are standing firm over de Jong and want in excess of €15million for the Dutch international striker.

Despite their stance, Newcastle have dispatched a delegation of managing Derek Lambias and secretary Lee Charnley to Holland to open talks with the Eredivisie club with the hope of striking a deal.

De Jong is their main point of interest, but it is also believed they will continue talks over Brazilian-born defender Douglas, who has been on their radar for a number of months.

Newcastle are pushing hard for De Jong with German side Borussia Monchengladbachspacer.gif also very keen, although reports suggesting they have already sealed a deal have been dismissed by Twente.

:lol: Silly season has arrived.

I'll happily be proved wrong in September!

Would love Douglas too. Would anyone be particularly upset if we sold Tiote for big money, replaced him with Anita and used the rest for Debuchy and De Jong. I think that would be the cracking piece of business personally.

The FC Twente boss is unhappy at the prospect of losing the man who bagged 30 goals for him last season and earned himself a place in Holland’s Euro 2012 squad.

And he has told his board that he wants to include the Swiss-born centre-forward in his plans for next season.

FC Twente are also joining Newcastle in the Europa League.

McClaren told the Dutch media: “Luuk de Jong would stay if it were up to me – unless stupid money is offered.

“The club know what I think about it.”

McClaren has also suggested that De Jong – who craves a move to the Premier League – may not be ready for the switch to England just yet.

The man who won the League Cup when in charge of Middlesbrough back in season 2003/04 said: “Only since last winter has Luuk been playing as a number 9. He must have at least one full season playing as a striker to become a top player at a big club.”

McClaren is already resigned to losing 6ft 4in defender Douglas this summer.

The Brazilian-born stopper was fined by McClaren this month for failing to turn up for training on time.

The defender had been visiting his mother, who had underwent an operation, however he failed to contact the club to tell them he needed more time.

United are working on the deal over the weekend but striker Leon Best continued talks on Friday over a proposed move to Championship outfit Blackburn Rovers.

The Magpies are happy to let the player go for a fee of around £3million plus add-ons if Rovers are promoted has been agreed in principle.

Reserve-team midfielder Mehdi Abeid was also linked with a move to a second-flight outfit in Ipswich Town.

However, Abeid is set to be assessed on his return to pre-season training and will feature prominently in the Magpies’ friendly fixtures next month.

Abeid made two appearances last term in the Carling Cup and FA Cup.

Read More

http://www.chronicle...?#ixzz1zGs95ohp

Is De Jong in the final year of his contract?

I'm not sure how much more McClaren thinks they can hold out for if he is.

Abeid was mean't to be some up and coming superstar was he not? he's made next to 0 apps and he's being linked with moves to the championship?

really not fussed about De Jong if i'm honest

Hang on, he's only been linked to loan moves to Championship sides as far as I can tell, he's made a couple of league cup appearances which is fair enough for a teen in his first season abroad, he plays in a position we were genuinely already fairly well stocked in and no - hyperbole or not - I don't think anyone said he's anything like an "up and coming superstar". He's got potential is all I've heard. Maybe I'm wrong there though, who knows.

Why aren't you fussed about de Jong? He comes highly rated and scored a lot of goals for a 21 year old. Is it because he scored those goals in the Eredivisie?

No idea how many we're going to sign, if I had to pick 2 that I would prefer it would be Debuchy and Douglas as I think they would make the biggest improvements to the first team.

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed all of them, apart from maybe Anita.