NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

(i did say our lack of any leftback was the only reason santon was there when he first arrived and the "left back Santon" patter from the club/manager was just a load of balls)

"Left back Santon" looked pretty good to me tbh, his cutting inside was a weapon.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Strength in Depth" is the key to any good team

currently we have strength in our fully fit starting XI, and barely any depth/numbers let alone a selection of strong players as backup

We don't know how Taylor will come back from his injury/if he'll stay fit, williamson is not a starting CB standard, if simpsons off we're left with Taylor or perch for cover (if we sign debuchy), if the demba's beat ivory coast, we're going have Shola up front on his lonesome for a month or so.

The minimum we need is a CB,RB(or LB), and a striker (a good one) and even then with injury we're back to being up against it.

The section of the league we're aiming at (and finished in last year) demands you have cover, quality cover, without it you nosedive, last year we got exceptionally luckily injury wise for a change.

I think the club expect some of the development squad/fringe players to step up a bit too.

(i did say our lack of any leftback was the only reason santon was there when he first arrived and the "left back Santon" patter from the club/manager was just a load of balls)

What? :lol:

Fucking hell, why can't you accept we've got a canny little player that can play on both flanks?

We've sold Best and Guthrie, both who played a fair chunk of the games last season, and have also released Smith, Lovenkrands and sold Forster.

I'm not particularly sad to see any of them go but we need another 4 or 5 in to replace them. We were struggling for players with 3 competitions last year. 4 competitions with 5 players fewer is asking for trouble.

I don't think we need to replace all of them to be honest as the majority of those that have left hardly played for us last season, how many games did Smith, Forster, Kadar and Lovenkrands play between them?

They were a drain on the squad rather than valuable members lost, same goes for Ranger too if he goes.

We could easily improve by signing one striker and getting rid of four of them we've got that many on the books :lol:

Centre back, full back and a striker for me.

The calibre of player we've been linked to - some clearly being more than just paper speculation - gives me reason to be hopeful for this window.

Amalfitano, Bigirimana and almost certainly Good are low risk signings of promising youngsters that could pay off in future years. So far the only player we've let go that has really negatively affected the squad is Guthrie. The other thing is that we've got the likes of Marveaux back plus you'd hope two or three of the young fringe players (Sammy, Vuckic etc) will feature more this season.

There is a lot of time to go so I'm feeling quite comfortable. I'd like us to wrap up a couple of first team signings soon though so they can join in pre-season.

Lovelypants could do well in the Championship for sure. He seems like the type of professional that will work hard to keep himself fit and could play on for quite a few years yet. Just not in the Premier League. But that was never his level really.

No, you're absoloutely correct. But seeing as i'm on board Big Mike's happy bus there will be not one iota of criticism or complaint about the business conducted (or indeed not conducted) in this transfer window passing from these fingertips ;)

Still nearly 2 months left of the window to be honest, early deals last year are irrelelvent to whats happening this year, and other clubs probably view us a bit differently after our relative success last season. Christ knows whats going on, our main targets are all out in the open it would appear (unless Luuk de Jong is a fuckin huge smokescreen for a better,cheaper player) so something will happen when it happens.

But there are posters who have regularly said they are completly relaxed with us not tying up deals if the deal isnt right for NUFC, so am not expecting to hear any complaints from them, should we not bring in a fullback or centre half etc.And I notice the first murmurings of concern have arisen in this thread. Tbh, its not the end of the world anyway if we don't bring in what and who people beleive we need. All is good on the happy bus...