NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

Williamson and Simpson are alreet. Unspectacular but solid defenders. In an ideal world both would be squad players. A top six side should have a better attacking full back than Simpson. Both players get more stick than they deserve though. They're both improvements on some of the gash defenders we've had in recent years.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are sounding exactly like the mackems last season now, 'their luck will run out soon' 'lucky mag kernts, it won't last'.. But we managed to keep the luck going for 38 games.

And you seem oblivious to quite a few games were we were incredibly lucky. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere down the middle.

Williamson and Simpson are alreet. Unspectacular but solid defenders. In an ideal world both would be squad players. A top six side should have a better attacking full back than Simpson. Both players get more stick than they deserve though. They're both improvements on some of the gash defenders we've had in recent years.

:yes

Apparently Carrols a done deal for £15m. I still rate him and it's a good extra option to have but I still think Debuchy would have a bigger impact on the team.

I also heard last night Carrol was going to be a replacement for Ba who they expect to go. Would seem strange that someone would stump up more for Ba now than they had to a month ago when his clause was still on.

I'm confident Carroll will be back here this season, if not this summer then in January.

Simpson is the weakest link in our starting 11 but he's far from as bad as some make out, he's a decent midtable player and was no worse than Santon last season, Williamson isn't too bad either considering he wouldn't be inthe starting 11 if everyone is fit.

I have no idea how the next week will go but its not something I'm going to beat myself over too much as long as we don't lose anyone, I do still think we are in for Carroll, Debuchy and Douglas though but how many we get I don't know.

Edited by Baggio

Been reading twitter as well? :lol:

Nope both of those come (admittedly second hand) from an ex player and current staff member. Not claiming its nailed on or anything just passing on what I've been told. I'll be as interested as anyone to see if its reliable!

Would like to see Carroll come back. I think we need the alternative option that he provides up top and I know Pards likes to mix things up from time to time. Still think Debuchy, from the little I've seen of him, is exactly the type of player we need at right back - getting forward into those gaps on the right hand side and whipping in dangerous crosses.

I wonder of that's just Rogers trying to encourage a proper bid. It seems like the club want him and his wage off the books. Maybe he has to do that before they can sign another striker.

I wonder of that's just Rogers trying to encourage a proper bid. It seems like the club want him and his wage off the books. Maybe he has to do that before they can sign another striker.

That seems the most likely situation to me.

I was thinking about our transfers yesterday and while they get great credit for the success they've had in the past few years I was thinking how could we scout a player like Douglas, our manager admits in a talk in that we want him yet a deadline goes past without any sign of us offering a cash for him?

Then I got to thinking about why that would be and the only stand out answer is that we can't afford him

So then I started to think back to when the accounts came out and Llambias done the interview about us "doing some trading" and mentioned Tiote, I'm thinking that what money we did have available we've spent on Anita who we see as Tiote's replacement so we won't be short in that department and then when we can sell him we can use the money to buy the players we've been following all summer. Much like Spurs have done with Modric.

The downside is if nobody comes in for him then the club push the line of not being able to agree a deal for our targets but we managed to fight off interest in our best players, when really they want to sell him and are encouraging bids so that they can buy Carroll and co.

I was thinking about our transfers yesterday and while they get great credit for the success they've had in the past few years I was thinking how could we scout a player like Douglas, our manager admits in a talk in that we want him yet a deadline goes past without any sign of us offering a cash for him?

Then I got to thinking about why that would be and the only stand out answer is that we can't afford him

So then I started to think back to when the accounts came out and Llambias done the interview about us "doing some trading" and mentioned Tiote, I'm thinking that what money we did have available we've spent on Anita who we see as Tiote's replacement so we won't be short in that department and then when we can sell him we can use the money to buy the players we've been following all summer. Much like Spurs have done with Modric.

The downside is if nobody comes in for him then the club push the line of not being able to agree a deal for our targets but we managed to fight off interest in our best players, when really they want to sell him and are encouraging bids so that they can buy Carroll and co.

More like we're not going to pay daft money for a player with a year left on his contract.

We've signed 3 players for central midfield, whatever other posistions/roles they may be able to cover Anita,Bigi and Amaltifano are all central midfileders as far as I can make out. Cetainly smells like Cabaye or Tiote will be gone by Saturday morning, but that may well not be the case if we play hardball on the transfer fee and clubs wont pay it. Going to be a very interesting few days....

Bar Manchester City and Chelsea, is there any club not trying to offload star players to fund new arrivals?

Bearing in mind the Andy Carroll £35 mill affair, I cant understand why any club would leave it to the last minute to try and get Tiote or Cabaye. Surely that would leave the buying club in a more desperate position to negotiate with Ashley.

Bar Manchester City and Chelsea, is there any club not trying to offload star players to fund new arrivals?

Bearing in mind the Andy Carroll £35 mill affair, I cant understand why any club would leave it to the last minute to try and get Tiote or Cabaye. Surely that would leave the buying club in a more desperate position to negotiate with Ashley.

If we do lose Tiote or Cabaye now, it'll be for silly money. If they were going to leave, they would've been gone earlier in the window.

Carroll left at the end of the transfer window for £35m when Liverpoo were desperate for a striker, so if Arsenal are desperate for Tiote (which tbh they should be given their slight midfield) it'd cost them £20+. Given Wenger is a stubborn old coot and he's just shelled out a massive fee for Cazorla, I don't see him moving for Tiote.

NEWCASTLE United have called time on moves to strengthen their defence or midfield ahead of Friday's transfer deadline.

And the club believe they have done enough to protect their blue-chip players from unwanted approaches.

With three days of the transfer window remaining, the only move still on the agenda at St James’ Park appears to be for a striker, and England international Andy Carroll is still right at the top of the Newcastle wish-list.

Unless Lille relent on their required fee, a fresh move for France right-back Mathieu Debuchy has been ruled out by the United hierarchy, and they have also decided not to follow up an initial enquiry for Ajax’s Gregory van der Wiel after being put off by the player’s wage demands.

That means United’s squad is likely to remain almost entirely unchanged for the rest of the calendar year – a development that puts added pressure on the squad’s fringe men to find an extra gear to support the club’s lofty aims for the season.

Newcastle may yet land one of their biggest targets but a move for £15m-rated Carroll depends on Liverpool blinking first in the game of brinkmanship between the two clubs.

For his part, the player seems to want to return and is likely to accept a wage cut to make it happen – but only if Brendan Rodgers bites the bullet and sanctions the sale.

Elsewhere, Newcastle anticipate a quiet week with no moves in the pipeline and no formal bids either for Yohan Cabaye, Cheick Tioté or Fabricio Coloccini – the three players who have attracted the most interest.

United would want well in excess of £20million for all three and that has scared off Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham, who are now looking abroad for midfield reinforcements.

Whether that will be enough to convince Alan Pardew and Newcastle’s supporters that they have enough to replicate last season’s fifth-placed finish, while also attacking their European campaign, is another matter.

United were expected to sign a right-back but will now persevere with Danny Simpson despite the ongoing impasse in his contract negotiations.

Simpson has impressed Newcastle’s coaching staff with his professionalism despite the speculation surrounding his future, but whether that is enough to encourage fresh contract talks is a different matter.

There will be a measure of disappointment, too, that Mike Ashley hasn’t supplied the cash to broker a deal for top target Debuchy.

The full-back expressed his desire to move to England several times and maintained regular contact with former Lille team-mate Cabaye.

In the end the decision passed down from the top was that at 27, Debuchy would not have enough sell-on value to justify a fee in excess of £5m – which Lille demanded.

There were fresh discussions about FC Twente defender Douglas over the past fortnight but with Steven Taylor and Coloccini set to be United’s first-choice partnership, that is another move mothballed.

Indeed, the current plan is for club secretary Lee Charnley and managing director Derek Llambias to be in Monaco for the Europa League draw on Friday – provided the team make progress past stubborn Greek opponents Atromitos, of course.

That has to be the priority for Pardew, who will address the media today ahead of tomorrow’s Europa League second leg at St James’ Park.

He said yesterday that progress in the competition – added to a defeat of Aston Villa on Sunday – would constitute a very successful first week of the season.

“We have now got to try to squeeze past Atromitos and then beat Aston Villa,” he said. “That for me would be a great start.

“It really would be, but we’ve still got the two games to win. That’s what we all have to stay focused on.”

There we are --- All questions answered.