NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

I think Mike yet again is hoping us to be within a shout of the top-6 going into the january window and then sniff about for basement bargains.

There's no chance of fifth this year, not as it stands. Too many of our rivals have strengthened whilst we've scratched our arse.

Anyway, Pards' press conference today should be interesting.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is "the plan" was not to finish 5th, it was to finish in the top ten iirc. Just because we over achieved does not mean Ashley is going to throw away all the foundations being put in place to suddenly try and break into the top four.

Im sure the plan this year is once again to finish within the top 8 and improve all aspects of the club from profitability to youth set up to first team to facilities.

I can understand the deluded position you are coming from and often share it, however this solid building from the bottom and working to a plan is probably more likely to bring us success.

I see your point, but doesn't the plan need to change if circumstances do though? Say we finish 8th this year, will that really be satisfactory outcome? Do you think the players will see it that way, or will they look for a more ambitious club elsewhere?

Whatever the answer, finishing the window with the same weaknesses (i.e. defence) we have had all season is not a good result whatever way you look it IMO.

Shades of 'keeping our powder dry' the summer after we finished third then lost to Partizan IMO.

There is no going back now, unless we want to lose all of our big guns. They expect a CL push and money spent, otherwise you can say au revoir.

Fucking deluded to expect them to go back to being content with 8-10th and wait for the youth academy and reserve team to step it up ffs :lol:

"Okay that was fun ladz, now back to midtable we go!"

"Not that I'm aware of no." Isn't no. Amazing how many people see the same thing go on every year and are swayed by sensationalist headlines. I'll quote this post on Saturday.

I think Carroll is the most likely to come in out of those we've been linked with, mainly due to Liverpool not wanting him sat warming a bench until January and they need to shift him for other targets to come in. Any other signings would and should of been made weeks ago. Never understand this last minute rush every season

Massive oppurtunity lost if we don't strengthen. No way can we go into a season with only 3 senior strikers, one of which hasnt had the best injury record over the past few seasons. The same in regards to CB's aswell Taylor has picked up a serious injury each of the past seasons for as long as I can remember and we can't keep hoping Colo stays fit to babysit Perch and Williamson through games.

Wondering what the scout's mandate was for this summer.

Looks to me like they were told 4 positions that needed strengthening (CB, FB, striker, CM) and asked to find just the one target for each (de Jong, Anita, Douglas and Debuchy). Carroll being a special case once it became apparent that Rodgers is not his biggest fan and that they might sell.

Why have we spent months and months after the likes of Debuchy/Douglas only to appear to give up on them because their clubs understandably want us to pay just a little bit more to match their asking price.

If we can't get Debuchy in then why not someone else? We haven't been properly linked to a single other RB at all despite it being easily the most obvious weak link especially given Simpson's precaurious contract situation.

It has fuck all to do with Carrol money, it has fuck all to do with "being held to ransom", it has everything to do with them not wanting to spend if they possibly think they might not just have to and can risk getting away without doing it.

So how do you explain Cisse? One striker on shit hot form in Ba and three others in Shola, Best and Lovenkrands.

Still pulled out the big bucks for the right player and a price they considered right.

Wondering what the scout's mandate was for this summer.

Looks to me like they were told 4 positions that needed strengthening (CB, FB, striker, CM) and asked to find just the one target for each (de Jong, Anita, Douglas and Debuchy). Carroll being a special case once it became apparent that Rodgers is not his biggest fan and that they might sell.

Why have we spent months and months after the likes of Debuchy/Douglas only to appear to give up on them because their clubs understandably want us to pay just a little bit more to match their asking price.

If we can't get Debuchy in then why not someone else? We haven't been properly linked to a single other RB at all despite it being easily the most obvious weak link especially given Simpson's precaurious contract situation.

Because they probably think they can get Douglas (who I think is into his last year) for next to nowt in a few months. Bear in mind they put a lot of time and effort (years) into researching the right fit to our squad.

Maybe they are prepared to wait rather than take second or third choice. Frustrating I know.

Maybe you're right, but on the other hand I'm not sure we can afford to take the risk. We did it last season by waiting till January to buy another striker it and that risk paid off handsomely.

It's the fact that we've had a long time to create a good list of players in case our first choices don't join that disturbs me. Focusing on certain players like that - if that's the case which it might well not be - is a dangerous game. It's not like we've lost a player on the last day of the window and have no time for find an adequate replacement, which is something I can understand although that sort of situation is a bad one for its own reasons.

Maybe we've gone after other players and this just hasn't been reported, who knows.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Fair enough on Douglas, like. But you really do have to wonder what the rationale on failing to stump up for Debuchy is when he wants to come, we need strengthening in the position, and Simpson could walk for free at the end of the season.

Then there's the striker issue. We desperately need at least one striker. That really isn't open for debate. I understand wanting to get the right player in, and we seemed ready to spend good money on de Jong if he had wanted to join, but we simply cannot entertain going into the new season with 3 senior strikers, one of whom is Shola, and two of whom are ACN candidates.

Nobody is saying we should blow stupid money like we used to, but Rhodes, Sinclair, Konate, Mayuka, Lukaku, and Mirallas, for example, are all available or have moved for under 10m this summer, and all of them would've, in my opinion, improved the squad in an area in which it critically needs improvement.

If we end the window without losing anyone but without getting anyone else in, I will be forced to conclude it a failure, considering the increased match load from the Europa League and the squad players who left over the summer compared to those who came in.

Maybe you're right, but on the other hand I'm not sure we can afford to take the risk.

Not been funny but this exactly where a lot of you miss the point. He can afford to take the risk.

His target is not to get into the champions league but to once again finish in the top ten as we further stabilise and further develop the "whole business". (Particularly the youth).

It makes no difference financially to Mike Ashley whether we finish 9th or 5th (in the great scheme of things).

I cant help but think that deep down they wanted to sell one of our top players for £20M so that we could use the money to buy 2 more players for around £14M + wages all in. Reason we didnt buy is that no one came in for one.

Are you for real? how do i explain them spending less than £10m A YEAR AFTER making £35m selling AC and Ba on a free? but now they haven't sold anyone for "mega money" them not splashing out on needed positions

Not being funny but do you actually remember the timeline and such? Cisse has only been here 6-7months, we sold Carroll in 2011, 19 months ago

and three others? Best was crocked, he'd done his cruicate in preseason and then wrecked himself later on, he played a total of like 12 matches in a year, he only got 10 goals or something in his entire newcastle career fuck sake :lol:

Lovenkrands only got games really after carroll left, jesus we even had to play Ranger at one point, and you're asking me how i explain them buying a striker after going with that from jan2011 till jan 2012?

No, your point was that they "will not spend money if they think they can get away with it".

As we were 6th at the time and doing very well, Im sure the big gambler, Ashley would have considered we could have soldiered on for another 12 weeks.

I cant help but think that deep down they wanted to sell one of our top players for £20M so that we could use the money to buy 2 more players for around £14M + wages all in. Reason we didnt buy is that no one came in for one.

Of course they did :lol: Thats why the op in this thread contains a come and get them statement from Llambias.

The thing is we all know this is how us and most clubs are now being run so no one should be surprised when it happens. Gutted but not surprised.