NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

We are pretty much where we were last season minus some deadwood. We got lucky in terms of some injuries, we now have Europa league football, I cant see is being this lucky again.

You have to hope that some of the other players we brought in like Good, Bigi etc are up for it and good enough. Going to see a lot of the kids I reckon.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep meaning to look at last years pre/early season threads and pick out some quotes to remind people of the hopes and dreams they had for the likes of Vukic, Kadar, Sammy, Ferguson, Gosling & Marveaux. None of which had any great impact on our season.

If we're lucky, one of the young ones will step up and manage 10+ games. It's very rare, but every season people start looking at the reserves hopefully in the face of a disappointing transfer window.

I hope the quote from Pardew is just keeping his cards close to his chest.

We've supposedly been trying to sign defenders for about a year now. Mariappa, Douglas, Peters etc.

Odd we couldn't get one defender in the doors.

Looks like Anita is the only first team player; the others seem back-up(afamitano) or development(Bigi/Good).

Last night 'Pards' reckoned the priority was the League (not unexpected) but he also mentioned that the aim was trying to get in the Champions League. Not being all doom and gloom because I think we still have a good side (first XI for definite) but there's nee realistic chance of that squad getting into the Champions League this season.

The others seem back-up(afamitano) or development(Bigi/Good).

Aye. 10 out of 11 starters against Atromitos away were reserves, and still only one of those lads could get a start, even in that second string. I don't think any of them will figure to any great degree this season.

So according to JawD, Ashley has just spent 6m on Anita without needing to and this explains the lack of transfer activity :lol:

Ashley basically thought we were selling Tiote, bought Anita, now no one has come in for Tiote we are left with an extra midfielder and cant buy the players we really needed and wanted. We just managed to basically mistakenly buy a midfielder from Ajax for 6 million quid :lol: Shit off.

So according to JawD, Ashley has just spent 6m on Anita without needing to and this explains the lack of transfer activity :lol:

Ashley basically thought we were selling Tiote, bought Anita, now no one has come in for Tiote we are left with an extra midfielder and cant buy the players we really needed and wanted. We just managed to basically mistakenly buy a midfielder from Ajax for 6 million quid :lol: Shit off.

Not saying it's definitely the case but I could imagine Anita being brought in because of his potential sell-on value and because he's a good player but also because they anticipated Tiote leaving and him being a replacement of sorts. It could be that Tiote not leaving for c. £20m has subsequently meant we haven't followed up our interest in Douglas and Debuchy. It hardly takes a massive leap, given some of the other shit he's pulled, to suggest this is the way Ashley's mind works.

If this is it, it highlights the theory that the needs of the first team do not usurp all other considerations. The needs of the club finances and the requirement to buy players with potential, as cheaply as possible, as and when they are available, without being held to ransom, come first.

We need a first team CB and RB. We have needed those since we were promoted. Since LB was filled by Santon they've been our most deficient areas. But we still haven't sorted it, preferring instead to only hunt bargains as and when they're available.

The alternative isn't necessarily gap-filling on the level of spending £12m on the likes of Fletcher. I think we should occasionally be willing to spend a little more to get in what we need without going mad.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is anticipating very little action today, both in and out of the club.

He said: "I am hoping business is done. We have kept our main players. I don't think we will bring anyone in or anyone will go out. But you never know at this football club."