NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

While its ok to say the team we have is the one that got us 5th i think you need to realise that:

- we were lucky with injuries as far as key players go

- we played out of our skin

- teams around us were poor

So with that in mind, we have just about stood still. In fact we are weaker up front and fuck knows what we will do if Senegal get in to the ACoN. Our back four at it strongest is good in the middle and ok on the flanks. We get an injury and things look dodgy.

Biggest thing for me is those around is strengthening. So it's not just us standing still and what teams around us are doing.

We still have a good first 11, but by fuck they are gambling with luck.

Aye, say you win a car race with a top speed of 100kmh. And then be happy with that all the while the rest of the competition prepares to move at 105 for the next race. That 100 might have been impressive but it sure as hell does not guarantee another win in the circumstances. Ok not the best analogy for our situation I know but its the reason why most of us are so bloody frustrated :glare:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Henderson/Downing deals are two of the worst worked transfers in the history of football like, no other club in the world would've gave them that kind of money like.

carrolls is shocking and all but least they can argue they got the two players they wanted for the torres money so weren't bothered, but the latter signings :lol: unreal

I think all the luck they had with the woodwork last season was thoroughly deserved just because of those transfers. Dalglish is a legend :lol:

two of them aren't meant to be anywhere near the first team really (the last two),

Nonsense, at 23 years old Amalfitano has been bought as a fringe first team player and most likely for the prem, he was on the bench at Chelsea. You've never seen Good play so you dont know if he is capable or challenging Williamson and you rate Bigi, which is fine.

Signing competent ready players is not the idea if the first 11-15 players are more than good enough. In midfield we want players who are going to develop as Anita, Tiote and Cabaye are all top class, so the lads brought in this summer are good signings if they have potential to develop, which they do.

I cant believe we havent signed a RB and after Taylor's injury its even more ridiculous. However, we are stronger than last year (apart from during the ACN), we didnt use Best after Cisse arrived so who gives a fuck, Guthrie has been upgraded by Anita and we have 3 extra young players who are all straight into the senior squad.

I dont buy that everyone else has got miles better either. Some like Everton are marginally better but have lost depth, not gained it. This window is a missed opportunity to resolve the key weaknesses in the side and actually make us a genuine top 4 or 5 side. Its not a disaster though as we are stronger on the pitch than last season.

• Steven Taylor
  • Sylvain Marveaux
  • Vurnon Anita
  • Curtis Good
  • Romain Amalfitano
  • Bigi

The players we have lost who were capable of making a meaningful contribution to the first 11 are

• Guthrie
  • Best (and thats being generous)

Not including Lovenkrands or Forster as their departures are irrelevant to the qualities we have.

I think that we can take solace in the fact that we have managed to keep a hold of all our top class players, I get the feeling now that the players want to be here for the club, hopefully they all think we are going in the right direction. Sir Alex rarely improves on his top class players, but brings in younger potential, I think that is what we have tried to achieve.

Keep going forward by keeping our good players!

Watching this is sort of painful :lol: . Bunch of Tottenham kids cheering on sky signing all those stars, its the same every deadline day. We could have at least put in a 5m bid for Messi or something to piss ourselves off, but if we had done I'd probably be complaining about it. :lol:. On a more positive note I've finally tried greggs today!

CT inaccurate as per normal but ya know what you're enjoying tonight, interacting, talking crap etc, allow me to change that :D

Sums you up you absolute cock of a man. :lol:

Start slagging someone off, they give you a bit back so you ban them for a few hours and continue slagging them off.

Always new you couldnt handle the power :lol:

I think this confirms that the board have no immediate designs on us pushing on for a Champions League spot and the rewards that would reap. They're happy to see us try and replicate last season's success with little advancement but aren't too worried if we don't make it back into Europe. I do feel this would have been an excellent opportunity to have made that extra outlay (often risky) to try and nick a top four slot. We only needed three or four decent players, £20-25m could have really given us a squad capable of challenging with all but the top 2/3. However, we all really knew that wasn't the policy and the policy, despite its obvious benefits, has left us threadbare since it was introduced. We're going to need a lot of luck again this season!

We should all thank Mike, because he could have sold one of our 'blue chip' players, but hasn't.

Should we also thank him for wasting an entire Summer and more scouting targets we had no intention of coughing up for?

We've baulked at paying an extra £1m for a top class France international.

We've offered 2 pasties and a sandshoe for Douglas.

We've wasted months flirting with Andy Carroll, despite knowing that Liverpool would rather chop him up and sell him to Dewhurst Butchers as mince than sell him back to us.

Christ, there was more chance of me flying to the moon on a modified Raleigh Grifter and discovering a new species of strawberry flavoured labradors than there was of seeing Andy Carroll sign for us.

One game last night, 2 injuries. 7 fit and available defenders and we're not even out of August.

Thanks Mike.

We've wasted months flirting with Andy Carroll, despite knowing that Liverpool would rather chop him up and sell him to Dewhurst Butchers as mince than sell him back to us.

Intriguing your knowledge of a chain of uk butchers that stopped trading 17 years ago?