NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

Would be very happy with that. I really think cb should be our top priority. Willo really isnt good enough. Its very doubtful that Steven Taylor is gonna play the whole season, and after an injury like that he isnt guaranteed to be as good as he was at the start of the last one. Also Hoilett on a free should be a no-brainer imo. Can play centrally coming off the bench and score aswell as being a very dangerous winger. Those signings would give us a lot of tactical options.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a fair price tbh. These reports reckon we'd be willing to go up to £10m for de Jong. Don't know if Douglas is worth £6m but as a package deal it doesn't look too bad.

Then again we'd still need Debuchy or someone like him, so that'd be another £6m. Just talking hypothetically here but that'd be £22m which after Cisse in January would be a huge amount of money for the club to spend. If we sell Best+Forster for £5m then I can't see us not letting a big name player go to cover the fees for the new players, and I reckon said player would make us at least £7m (Ba?). So £12m, £22m spent. £10m transfer kitty for the summer. Sounds reasonable but I'm just speculating here.

If you ask me we only 'need' 3 players as long as we don't sell anyone aside from the above; a striker (de Jong), WB (Debuchy) and CB (Douglas). Getting them and keeping the team as it is now would be some achievement.

I also like to think that this coming season will be the season the likes of Vuckic, Ferguson, Tav, Sammy etc really make the step up.

Without wanting to go all championship manager...

We could potentially sign De Jong and Hoilett for the same money as we would get for Ba and Best, that would leave us needing £10-£12 million for Debuchy and Douglas, now the club has already indicated that it would make around £10 million profit this season plus the sales of Forster and possibly Simpson makes it doable IMO.

I think the fact that we're getting Smith, Lovenkrands, Guthrie, and potentially Best off the wage bill will allow us to exceed our usual spending a fair bit this summer.

One of Ba or Tiote will go though I think, I'd rather them leave than any of Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Krul, Coloccini, or Cisse.

The express say we've agreed a 5m fee for Douglas.

Heard that from several sources this morning, looking good. If we can get Debouchy too we'll be looking pretty solid next season hopefully.

Looks like the 5 names in the hat are De Jong, Hoilett, Debuchy, Douglas and Anita. How many do you think we will end up with?

I don't see us getting Douglas or hoilett and think Anita Would be the less likely of the other three

Not too fussed about hoilett tbh, would love the other 4 though

He did last season tbf.

No he didn't, he had 35mil sitting in the bank. Replacing a 35mil striker for 9mil was a good bit of business. Spending 20mil+ out of his own pocket with no return is pretty unlikely

With that logic weve got plenty of "transfer profits" from previous seasons sitting around in his picket to be spent so why worry?

With that logic weve got plenty of "transfer profits" from previous seasons sitting around in his picket to be spent so why worry?

Plus who mentioned out of his own pocket anyway?

Those two and a forward for me. Don't think we have enough depth up front. Not quality anyway.

I was thinking the other day about when we last had 3 quality strikers on the books at the same time.

Owen, Martins and Viduka stand out in recent times and they were all injury prone but then you have to go back 15 years to when we had Shearer, Ferdinand and Asprilla for the time before I think unless I'm missing something obvious.

Edited by Baggio

It's his club man. Who else's pocket is it coming out of? Any profit is his profit, any loss Is his loss

So he did put £10 million in out of his own pocket last season then?

It's not his own pocket. Yes it's his club but it's still ran as a business in its own right.

I have a business but it's money is separate from my own and when I go for a mortgage the bank looks at my income as well as considering the performance of the business. But it's cash isn't mine.

So he did put £10 million in out of his own pocket last season then?

Well he has to buy someone. You can't just sell all your players or else you don't have a team. 26mil profit on a like for like swap isn't bad though. Which bit are you finding outlandish btw?

Do people really have memories this short? Pardew has even said in the press its going to to be hard to keep Tiote. Is he softening us up for nowt?

It's not his own pocket. Yes it's his club but it's still ran as a business in its own right.

I have a business but it's money is separate from my own and when I go for a mortgage the bank looks at my income as well as considering the performance of the business. But it's cash isn't mine.

So you own a business but you aren't allowed to take any of the profits out of that business? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning a business?

I take a wage. In theory I can whip out as much money as I want, it's up to me. But it's self defeating. If I take too much cash out it is at the detriment of the business. Many business fail as the owner is too greedy and the business has no "fat" for leaner times.

Of course MA could take 10M out of the business, but that would be declared in the accounts one way or another. He has also said that the club will be self financing so when you hear people say he has put his hand in his pocket to buy Cisse for example, he hasn't. He just sanctioned the club to spend its own money.