NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should be buying 3 first team players anyway, the point I've already made is that we've got so much dead wood in the squad that we can cut the numbers and invest the wages saved for those better players coming in.

You might think it's essential to have 7 strikers and 7 central midfielders on the books but I can't say I do,

Not sure what we're even arguing about then. We have almost a squad of players out of contract....

Danny Guthrie

Peter Lovenkrands

Alan Smith

Ryan Donaldson

Ole Soderberg

James Tavernier

Tamas Kadar

Phil Airey

Michael Richardson

Conor Newton

Brad Inman

Samuel Adjei

Stephen Folan

Jeff Henderson

Patrick Nzuzi

They've played little between them anyway, so drop them out of the equation. Harper, Forster and Xisco seem to be done too, without any iinvolvement this season, so drop them out.

Considering all that, out first team squad is down to 19 bodies. We can all agree, the players on the books are too many, but you have to say the players pushing the first team are too few as well. If our plan is to lose all of the above deadweight, but just replace them with a few slightly better players, to flesh out the reserves that's desparately disappointing.

I agree with everything you've said, however I've not seen anything to suggest the highlighted bit will happen.

I think they could bring in 4 or 5 quality players over the next 2 summers, get rid of 10 and we would improve drastically.

When the chief exec is putting it out there that we want a better bench rather than a better first team I think it suggests we're happy with the starting 11.

Hopefully it's all smoke and mirrors to drive a hard bargain on world class signings.

7 that started against Heerenveen also started the next league game against Chelsea so it wasn't that different tbf, only O'Brien, Amdy Faye, Bowyer and Shola were replaced with Boumsong, Dyer, Butt and Robert.

We can have 25 over the age of 22 I believe and as many younger than that as we like.

30 players either played or made the bench in 2004/5. You're on about [possibly] embarking on a similar campaign with a lot less than that.Factor in HF's post about players out of contract and its lunacy to suggest we should be getting rid of as many. As I've said, I fear for us if we qualify, because Ashley,Llambias and no doubt Pardew think the same way as you.

How many of them over 10 appearances? Or is it like this season when we've often rotated between Vuckic, Abeid, Perch and Gosling as to who came off the bench with at least one of the other staying on there?

Our squad back then only had 5 strikers, 4 after Bellamy went out on loan and 5 is a good enough number, we've currently got 7 on the books which is just a drain.

When the chief exec is putting it out there that we want a better bench rather than a better first team I think it suggests we're happy with the starting 11.

Hopefully it's all smoke and mirrors to drive a hard bargain on world class signings.

you mean trophy players :lol: Unfortunately, some would prefer a kid kicking a ball around a park in Angola for a fiver.

Edited by LeazesMag

We should be buying 3 first team players anyway, the point I've already made is that we've got so much dead wood in the squad that we can cut the numbers and invest the wages saved for those better players coming in.

You might think it's essential to have 7 strikers and 7 central midfielders on the books but I can't say I do,

Not sure what we're even arguing about then. We have almost a squad of players out of contract....

Danny Guthrie

Peter Lovenkrands

Alan Smith

Ryan Donaldson

Ole Soderberg

James Tavernier

Tamas Kadar

Phil Airey

Michael Richardson

Conor Newton

Brad Inman

Samuel Adjei

Stephen Folan

Jeff Henderson

Patrick Nzuzi

They've played little between them anyway, so drop them out of the equation. Harper, Forster and Xisco seem to be done too, without any iinvolvement this season, so drop them out.

Considering all that, out first team squad is down to 19 bodies. We can all agree, the players on the books are too many, but you have to say the players pushing the first team are too few as well. If our plan is to lose all of the above deadweight, but just replace them with a few slightly better players, to flesh out the reserves that's desparately disappointing.

I agree with everything you've said, however I've not seen anything to suggest the highlighted bit will happen.

I think they could bring in 4 or 5 quality players over the next 2 summers, get rid of 10 and we would improve drastically.

:lol:

Personally I think you're reading too much into things, I'd probably word it similar that we don't have the quality to bring off the bench when we need it but that doesn't mean I think we should stick with the current starting 11 and only improve the bench too.

ALAN Pardew is ready to add a left-back to his summer shopping list after Holland defender Erik Pieters re-emerged as a Newcastle United target.

Europe-chasing United have performed superbly this season, but The Journal understands the club are braced for another summer of change at St James’ Park, with Pardew keenly aware key areas require strengthening.

Newcastle have secured the future of the core of their team, but fringe men Dan Gosling and Danny Guthrie could both leave – while Peter Løvenkrands and Alan Smith will not be offered new contracts.

It is in defence where Pardew wants to make changes, though, with left-back targets now being considered.

Davide Santon has impressed with his ability, attacking threat and versatility since signing from Inter Milan, but he is a work inprogress defensively and there is debate over whether he might be best served by switching to the right of defence.

The Journal understands Santon is being considered for a long-term future in the right-back role if the club cannot come to an agreement with Danny Simpson – who is yet to sign a new contract.

They have a long-standing interest in the versatile Pieters, who is Holland’s first choice left-back and would be keen to join Newcastle – who have secured the long-term future of his international team-mate Tim Krul.

He can play in the centre of defence or at left-back and while he would not come cheap – United might expect to pay upwards of £5million for the defender – he fits the bill for a Newcastletarget.

The PSV star has just recovered from a four-month lay-off which effectively ruled out Newcastle stepping up their interest in January.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/16/erik-pieters-re-emerges-as-newcastle-united-target-61634-30548782/

Edited by Baggio

So, Chelsea after Krul and Tiote for £30M eh....

I know that Chelsea do buy players when they haven't a manager so it is plausible they could be sniffing around them. I'm probably more bothered about losing Krul than I am Tiote. I think we could pick up another defensive midfielder and have change if we sold Tiote but I'm not sure we could replace Krul as easy. I'd not like to guess how many points he has saved us this season, but on current form must be one of the top keepers in the league.

I know every player has a price and thankfully I think £30M is a shite offer for those two players. But is Chelsea really wanted to flex their financial muscle, I wonder how long it would take for us to break?

Course, could well be bollocks.

No point getting too hung up on this. Most thought we may lose the pair of them in January.

At some point we are going to get offered big money for our players and they will be sold, but we know that anyway.

At least we are in a strong enough financial position to A) Only have to sell when it suits us and B) Have the resources to go out and find replacements.

Krul would go for more than £10million ffs, he's potentially the most valuable asset at the club!

All we can do is wait until the Summer to see what happens.

how many keepers have moved for that much?

Chelsea have got that kid on loan at Athletico, they're never going to move for Krul. Krul will stay next season, be No. 1 but Tiote will probably go. £25 million for Tiote, use it to bring in a replacement (who won't be hamstrung by ACN) and some full-backs and it's not a disaster.

Plus, Chelsea don't have a proper manager, I doubt they're allowing Di Matteo to identify potential targets

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Cheick Tiote

All lies

about 1 hour ago from Twitter for BlackBerry®

So Tiote's fake account is saying it's all lies. Ah whey that's it then.

The facts are these, Tiote is going to Chelsea for £23m. Krul is going no where.

Why do the club follow Tiote's fake account?

EDIT: Aha! They don't any more

Edited by Happy Face