The Media calling Man. U. 'united'. .

Davey Dave

The old 'making a teams name into an insult' shite is cringily American. Over there every NFL team has an absolutely shite name rivals call em. One of the only things I hate about their sport and it pisses me off to see it start to come over here too. I genuinely heard a Man U fan refer to their game against 'Liverfool' the other month. What the fuck kinda shit insult even is it?!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard the 'media' refer to

Manchester United as manure.

I only refer to them as that online, mix between that and ManU. Likewise call

Arsenal arse online only. Really that springs from my resentment at the fixation by people at those particular clubs over here. Liverfool is shite, would never use that. Don't give two hoots if anyone else finds them cringeworthy, in fact it's probably more incentive to use them just to annoy the knob ends who get upset about something so utterly trivial.

Edited by OTF

Anyone says United then its assumed its Man U, same with City, its how its been for years. I don't think its meant to disrespect other Uniteds and Citys tho

Whether its meant to or not it is still massively disrespectful. Intent isnt the issue, its just fuckin wrong! Its contributed massively to the "United" brand in the last 50 years. This has in turn contributed to their huge commercial success, which has helped them dominate on the pitch. Go to Bankok, Tokyo or Mumbai and mention "United" and they know exactly who you're on about, and thats all down to the media.

It's all down to them winning everything going man. They haven't had huge success cos they're known as United, they're known as United cos they've had huge success.

Their success has been based in financial power though. Whats helped them become the biggest football "brand" in what could be termed the "emrging football markets" ? Its is partly due Ferguson being backed in the transfer market. Look at the fees paid for Ferdinand,Rooney, Van Nistlerooy etc etc...their financial muscle blew everyone out of the water. Why were they so far ahead? its down to "brand power",and the income that generates. The media have unwittingly but undoubtedly contributed to the promotion of the "United" brand iyam. That and the "club" itself shamelessly exploiting the events of Munich 58. Michael Crick wrote a very good book on it called "Betrayal of a Legend".

Edited by PaddockLad