mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Well perhaps that is a bit far, aye :lol:

I suppose championship mediocrity isn't a reality they want to accept so people flip out a little.

relegation certainly isn't boring 

They are fucking hopeless like. I hope they lose their opener 3-0, if something like that happened their shit fans will be right on their backs and they could be fighting the drop. 

I cant see them finishing below the bottom end of mid table, would love it if they did though. Their squad is fucking rank but so is most teams down there dunno if this Grayson can get them playing which might be the deciding factor

They'll be nowhere near promotion that's for sure. Have they even signed a forward yet? Finished bottom and have spent about £3m whilst downgrading their 'keeper, losing their only striker for nothing and arguably downgrading their manager.

:lol: 

Sunderland are destined to be in the doldrums for a long long time if they don't get some kind of money no object owner.

In 5 years time I think their fans will be resigned to their team being lower league and will be just happy if they get more wins than losses throughout their lower league seasons.

Ellis tried but came up Short

I can't see them getting promoted this season but I can't see them staying down there very long either.

They're a fucking shambles but they'll still be a bigger draw than a lot of the shite down there.

Providing clubs like Boro & Wolves stop throwing the money about....

Have they spent much at all? I can't see them having the money to attract the upper end on the Championship type player that they'll need to get promoted. It'll lower mid table mediocrity for them this season.

I'm not sure they've spent anything tbh, I imagine the Pickford money went straight to paying off debt - or at least it should have done.

17 hours ago, Renton said:

Iirc we were hammered by Leyton Orient in the run up to the 2010 promotion season? Was concerning at the time. 

To be fair that was an early preseason run out and I was in attendance which is usually a portent of doom.

11 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

They'll be nowhere near promotion that's for sure. Have they even signed a forward yet? Finished bottom and have spent about £3m whilst downgrading their 'keeper, losing their only striker for nothing and arguably downgrading their manager.

James Vaughan, Lewis Grabban both signed. 

I think there'll be a big wake up call when they watch Championship games regularly. The prevailing opinion seems to be that because they've got "Premier League players" they'll be much better than the 2nd flight teams. 

It's stuff like this-

In truth they don't have a single player that stands out as a "top" championship player. Even their best remaining player, Kone, has apparently looked disinterested in preseason suggesting he'll be off. Lens is attracting bids.

I don't think they'll be relegated, there's sufficient shit in the 2nd flight for them to comfortably avoid that ignominy. As it stands I can't see them coming straight back up though. I expect them to finish behind Aston Villa, Boro, Shef Wed, Fulham, Leeds, Reading, Wolves, Hull, plus maybe teams like Birmingham City or Norwich? We saw how Villa fucked it up and how Norwich had a disappointing year. I'd be shocked if Sunderland did better than them without significant investment and shrewd business.

Edited by The Fish

Most likely - most of Sunderlands debt is at scandalously high interest too. Their entire future was based on premier league income.

i think they'll get bought out eventually 

It's a bit of a cathwords trick to be filming it mind but I suppose Gibson shouldn't really be mortal drunk 6 days before the season Starts.