mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

3 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Now I'm actually starting to feel sorry for them...NOT :D

I do feel for them only because it has a feel of Leyton Orient to it and despite our record, I miss derby days.   Having more teams from the North East succeeding in the Premier League can only be a good thing.

Edited by Leon

Just now, Leon said:

I do feel for them only because it has a feel of Leyton Orient to it and despite our record, I miss derby days and think having more teams from the North East succeeding in the Premier League can only be a good thing.

I don't miss derby days tbh as we always get stuffed off them in recent times.

I'll be happy to play them in a few seasons time in a cup when they are a struggling league 1 team and we are still in the Premier League ( top half hopefully) 

Spank them 5 or 6 nowt and forget the 6 in a row ever happened.

I like seeing Sunderland's arsehole fans getting their comeuppance, I enjoy our local rivals having a torrid time. But a North East club of their size being in the bottom three of the 2nd tier is a bit shit. My mackem mates would have a laugh at our expense when we went down, but after that initial bit of stick we could have a proper chat about football and they sympathised with our plight. I'll do the same for them.

But their arsehole fans, the lads with "1-9 FTM" in their sigs, or  the ones who insist Benitez is a shit coach, or the ones who define their support of Sunderland by how often and how loudly they declare their hatred of Newcastle United, those ones can fucking rot in League 1 in perpetuity.

fwiw I don't think they'll go down.

Just now, The Fish said:

I like seeing Sunderland's arsehole fans getting their comeuppance, I enjoy our local rivals having a torrid time. But a North East club of their size being in the bottom three of the 2nd tier is a bit shit. My mackem mates would have a laugh at our expense when we went down, but after that initial bit of stick we could have a proper chat about football and they sympathised with our plight. I'll do the same for them.

But their arsehole fans, the lads with "1-9 FTM" in their sigs, or  the ones who insist Benitez is a shit coach, or the ones who define their support of Sunderland by how often and how loudly they declare their hatred of Newcastle United, those ones can fucking rot in League 1 in perpetuity.

fwiw I don't think they'll go down.

If they end up in administration they absolutely will go down.

If they don't then I agree, they'll stay up. We're clearly not going to see them in the PL for some years though. Possibly a decade based on what's going on down there...

Just now, Rayvin said:

If they don't then I agree, they'll stay up. We're clearly not going to see them in the PL for some years though. Possibly a decade based on what's going on down there...

If they go into administration will the points be deducted from this season, or next? If it's this season then yes, they most likely will go down. 

They get a -10pt penalty and continue on their Ppg, they'll end up on around 28pts. Rotherham managed 23pts and Blackburn were relegated on 51pts. Leeds were relegated on 36pts after their 10pt deduction.

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Why do you think this out of interest? They are deservedly third bottom, how are they going to get out of it? They can't afford to buy in the winter window and who the fuck would go there anyway? Ditto their manager.

This is a team that hasn't won at home this calender year. Soon it will be an actual year. They can easily go down. 

6 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Couldn't give a fuck about derby days personally, it brings the wankers out of the woodwork on both sides and generally it's a shit game. I'd be happy if we never played those tramps again.

Aye, personally I’d be happy if they ended up as a League One/League Two side and we could completely forget about them.

I used to enjoy derbies but at some point (even before Pardew opened the gates to us losing to them) they became pretty unbearable and as you say, generally, were dreadful games. 

Agree with Renton as well, not sure why you two think it’d only be a points docking that would relegate them. They’ve played a good sampling of the sort of teams the league has to offer so far and have looked second best in basically all of them, as Renton said their home form is an utter disaster, and the squad has a losing mentality. I’m not saying it’s certain but I also see no reason to doubt them as being among the favorites for the drop. 

5 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

What is all this administration talk all about ? Just rumours ?

Don't they get 100 million for going down ?

Nope, they're missing out on £100m from the Premier League money, they get a bit of a parachute payment, but that will barely cover their wages, if it does at all.

Re: going down without a points deduction, Grayson's sides tend to start slowly, but then he'll go on a bit of run. They might go down with or without  any points deduction, but I think it's more likely they'll get sufficient points to stay up ahead of teams like Barnsley, Birmingham, Bolton, Burton etc.

They'll go down. There's nothing but negativity at the club and I think the administration fine will seal the deal.

They've got a league one team apart from the odd loanee.

They deserve league one for the handling of the Johnson case. That was top to bottom complicit from the CEO to the manager to the fans singing about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Why do you think this out of interest? They are deservedly third bottom, how are they going to get out of it? They can't afford to buy in the winter window and who the fuck would go there anyway? Ditto their manager.

This is a team that hasn't won at home this calender year. Soon it will be an actual year. They can easily go down. 

In simple terms it's because we're not that lucky.

They have some shite in their team, but so do 5 or 6 other teams at the bottom of that league.

I'd enjoy a second relegation for them if for no other reason than it highlights what an excellent job Benitez did last season, and Hughton and Wagner.

It's remarkable that their fans are deserting matchday given the consensus was that they were fiercely loyal despite years of shit. Turns out when the going really gets rough they sack it off. 18,000 under capacity , on average, after 5 home games according to transfermarkt.co.uk. Can only see that finding a plateau around 20-22k if things don't improve dramatically.  Which will in turn impact their finances. No big tv deal, half empty stadium, finances fucked already, rumours of administration...

Do they own their stadium? Their Academy of Light? How do they plug that money hole?

1 minute ago, Anorthernsoul said:

:lol::lol::lol:

TMP_NEC_230917SunderlandFans30JPG.jpg

I'd be devastated if I was going with that as well to be fair. 

Nice that the lesbian aunt behind them has taken her nephews out to the game though.

I think the overwhelming negativity surrounding the club is what makes me think they’re likely on their way down. Teams like Burton are poor in quality but they have a spirit, Birmingham just sacked their manager iirc so could see an uptick and neither of those things are something SAFC are in a position to do. 

The lack of quality throughout the squad is an issue, but like Fish said many have that issue, but it’s the absolutely rotten attitude inside and out of the club that will do them in. 

I also agree with the others that think this is fully deserved after the acceptance and support the club and fan base gave to a nonce. 

Edited by Howay