mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Let's be frank: it's a shithole

Apparently that, while they admit that the city is shit, it's unfair to say all of Sunderland is shit. Mostly because Walker exists, or something... Apparently Seaburn and Roker are nice? 

Dunno, don't think I've ever been there, but a quick check of Rightmove says there's maybe 10 houses worth more than £200k on the market there. If they're the nice areas then what does it say about the rest of the city?

Passing through Whitburn, Cleadon and Roker they're all seem like perfectly nice places to live.  My ex brother in law lives near the hospital just outside the town centre and that's a pretty nice area too.  But he wouldn't set foot in the town centre because it's a shit hole and the people are all mongs (his words not mine).

Of course Sunderland has some nice bits to it just like every city, or in their case town.  But the reality is it has nothing going for it to attract anyone.  The Bridges is full of people wearing pyjamas and slippers and, like their high street, is full of second hand shops and pawn brokers.  If you go out in Sunderland for a night out you're made (in the words of Oz) to feel about as welcome as fart in an astronauts suit.  Not because they look down or you, but just because you're not local and they don't know who you are.  It's honestly like Royston Vasey.  Unfortunately this isn't second information I'm passing on here, I had the displeasure of working there for a long time as well as marrying a bird from one of their mid range areas (ie not up to the Cleadon or Whitburn standard but fortunately not from the likes of Hendon, Pennywell or Southwick which really are like the land that time forgot).  Of course there are some very nice people that I have met from there.  In fact most of them I got on really well with and still stay in touch with some (fortunately not really the wife).  Most of them know exactly what the place is like and lots of them prefer to spend there free time elsewhere.  In all honesty, most of them bare no resemblance to the fucktards to who populate RTG on a regular basis.  Although get them all together and talk about football and far too many of them lose their grip on reality.

How do their nicest parts stack up against ours? Do they have somewhere like Benton, like Jesmond, Gosforth etc?

I searched on Rightmove and was shocked to see a listing at £1.8m not five minutes walk from Sunderland station. Nope, don't worry, it turns out it's for 19 houses and a flat!

Cleadon and parts of Whitburn are really nice tbf, I'd imagine there's some pretty expensive houses round there.  Mind you they're about as far away from the town centre as you can get.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43680448?search_identifier=e340577f1685f63fdc459bee021f15b3#cYGI8DT2X1CfipTo.97

A quick search found that.  The decor screams Sunderland to me like, fucking hideous.

Edited by David Kelly

10 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Cleadon and parts of Whitburn are really nice tbf, I'd imagine there's some pretty expensive houses round there.  Mind you they're about as far away from the town centre as you can get.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43680448?search_identifier=e340577f1685f63fdc459bee021f15b3#cYGI8DT2X1CfipTo.97

A quick search found that.  The decor screams Sunderland to me like, fucking hideous.

hideous and soulless 

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

SR postcodes aren't they?  That's enough for them to claim them at least.

Post codes are funny things and only indicate RM operations. By that logic S Shields and all other NE codes would be Newcastle and even Stevie wouldn't try claiming that. 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

Post codes are funny things and only indicate RM operations. By that logic S Shields and all other NE codes would be Newcastle and even Stevie wouldn't try claiming that. 

They're pretty sure everything south of the Tyne and North of the Tees flyover is the Sunderland supporter catchment area with Hartlepool and or South Shields as their second club.  

6 minutes ago, Leon said:

They're pretty sure everything south of the Tyne and North of the Tees flyover is the Sunderland supporter catchment area with Hartlepool and or South Shields as their second club.  

I know and it always makes me laugh. 

When I started going to away games by train in the early 80s there were Newcastle fans going from all over Durham and even Teesside/north Yorkshire - obviously this was pre 92 when they claim widespread defections took place. 

8 minutes ago, NJS said:

Aye I'm not arguing against that, just that they would claim it.

I did think Cleadon was classed as part of Sunderland though.  I know that when you drive into West Boldon there's a sign saying you're in Sunderland and I thought similar into Cleadon and Whitburn.  Either way it's the nearest thing Sunderland has to a really nice area although like you say, Ashbrooke is quite canny.

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

It's often intangibles like "classy club", "proper people", "normal", and more often than not it's a direct comparison to us. "Not as deluded as them", "not arrogant like Geordies".

Actually, speaking of "Geordie" I've seen a few on there complaining when "Geordie" is used as a blanket term for fans of Newcastle. Insisting that although they're born in Newcastle and consider themselves Geordie, they're a Sunderland fan? It's like the "all lives matter" bullshit, for me. Wouldn't they want to be distinct from us? Surely they'd prefer to be called a mackem, a Rokerite, a black cat, than a term that the wider world immediately associates with our football club?

Surely they prefer to associate themselves with that club, those people, rather than their nearest rivals?

I've worked with a couple of non-mackem Sunderland fans from Gateshead and they can't wait to get away from the ground after the match as 'I can't stand the mackem bastards'. One of them had an argument after being called a Geordie bastard and chose to roll his sleeve up to show him his old Sunderland tattoo of the old crest. He used to go to loads of aways and all the homes and was sound enough, (obviously hated NUFC but wasn't a knob about it if you know what I mean?) I couldn't get my head around it even then tbh. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've worked with a couple of non-mackem Sunderland fans from Gateshead and they can't wait to get away from the ground after the match as 'I can't stand the mackem bastards'. One of them had an argument after being called a Geordie bastard and chose to roll his sleeve up to show him his old Sunderland tattoo of the old crest. He used to go to loads of aways and all the homes and was sound enough, (obviously hated NUFC but wasn't a knob about it if you know what I mean?) I couldn't get my head around it even then tbh. :lol:

I used to drink with an SAFC fan in Shields who was the same - hated the place and most of the people. 

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

What is a club in any case?

Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

They just don't have that. Not going all Geordie nation but most people who work away, even live abroad have a genuine affection for the place they still regard as their home. It even extends to places in Northumberland and so on. If you're from Consett the only linked with Sunderland is likely to be that you support the team. You wouldn't bother going there otherwise.

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

I used to drink with an SAFC fan in Shields who was the same - hated the place and most of the people. 

I know a lad from Shields who's similar. Actually resents his Dad taking him to Roker Park as a kid and making him a supporter :lol:

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

What is a club in any case?

Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

They just don't have that. Not going all Geordie nation but most people who work away, even live abroad have a genuine affection for the place they still regard as their home. It even extends to places in Northumberland and so on. If you're from Consett the only linked with Sunderland is likely to be that you support the team. You wouldn't bother going there otherwise.

Remember giving a workmate some advice about where to go when he visited Newcastle with his lass. I think he was taken aback at how proud I am of Newcastle, when I asked if he was proud of his home town said he replied "No, I'm from Leicester". 

Fair enough ifyam :lol:

15 hours ago, The Fish said:

Remember giving a workmate some advice about where to go when he visited Newcastle with his lass. I think he was taken aback at how proud I am of Newcastle, when I asked if he was proud of his home town said he replied "No, I'm from Leicester". 

Fair enough ifyam :lol:

Did you post that on the sunderland website :icon_lol:

2 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Did you post that on the sunderland website :icon_lol:

No need, they're arguing amongst themselves about whether Sunderland is a shithole or not.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

No need, they're arguing amongst themselves about whether Sunderland is a shithole or not.

Looked the other day and one or two were laughing at Newcastle being a 'vibrant' city. 

I went to a place called "Ryhope" (I think) as I was giving my sister a lift to pick up some vintage TVs for her art installation.

Apart from the actual TVs themselves it was like going 30 years back in time apart from people had somehow conspired to dress worse.

There was a constant fog in the air. We picked the TVs up and I popped in the shop for someting. On the way in a guy put his tab on the floor. He picked it up on the way out.

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

Looked the other day and one or two were laughing at Newcastle being a 'vibrant' city. 

Aye, one genuinely thinks the only thing about Newcastle is that stag-dos go there. 

I'm not saying it's a metropolis, but we must be in the top ten for most measures of a top English city? 

London will win out, then Manchester, Liverpool etc.