mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

37 minutes ago, 247 said:

Fucking brilliant that mad bob like, they were all eating out of the palm of his hand on his ITK takeover threads in the summer :lol:

They were hilarious, right up till they announced no sale he was telling them it had all been agreed and there would be an announcement any time. Tbh he has some neck posting anything on there.

14 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

They were hilarious, right up till they announced no sale he was telling them it had all been agreed and there would be an announcement any time. Tbh he has some neck posting anything on there.

Sounds like certain "celeb" nufc fans on Twitter at the moment :glare:

"The part of the season where they don't play very well either" EITHER? There's been about one part of the DECADE so far where they haven't been absolute dogshit.

That wife in the tie is an absolutely perfect summation of that lot btw. It's a frenzied, fierce hatred wrapped up in total delusion under a completely transparent air of "I'm not bothered about them". Someone should write a thesis on it.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Looks like it'll be McCoist but I saw something on there about Coleman's odds dropping... surely he wouldn't fuck his career up with Sunderland...

Doesn't matter who they get, he'll still be better than Rafa. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Looks like it'll be McCoist but I saw something on there about Coleman's odds dropping... surely he wouldn't fuck his career up with Sunderland...

Why aren't they just giving it to one of their first team coaches, while they search for the best possible candidate? The bloke is already on the wage bill, he'd already know the strengths and weaknesses of the team and he surely can't do much worse than Grayson did. They may even uncover a galvanising figure like Hughton. 

McCoist won't be cheap, neither would Coleman. Both will want to spend a bit of money that Sunderland don't have and both will be expensive to get shot of when it all inevitably goes wrong.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Why aren't they just giving it to one of their first team coaches, while they search for the best possible candidate? The bloke is already on the wage bill, he'd already know the strengths and weaknesses of the team and he surely can't do much worse than Grayson did. They may even uncover a galvanising figure like Hughton. 

McCoist won't be cheap, neither would Coleman. Both will want to spend a bit of money that Sunderland don't have and both will be expensive to get shot of when it all inevitably goes wrong.

You're spending too much time on RTG saying they can't do much worse than Grayson. He has done well at every other club he has been at, however like the eight other managers Sunderland have had in the past 5 years he has done badly when there. The common denominator is Sunderland, they are shit, they should realise it and do something about the club rather than sack the latest person they conned into the managers job.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

What makes you think that McCoist would be in any position to make demands on salary and budget?

58 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What makes you think that McCoist would be in any position to make demands on salary and budget?

They're in a desperate situation, and the kinds of demands he'll make of salary and budget wouldn't make most clubs blink, but financially they're fucked, so anything more than fuck all will be a stretch. He'll certainly cost more than any interim manager, and I'd not be surprised if he asked for more than Heckingbottom would have.

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

You're spending too much time on RTG saying they can't do much worse than Grayson. He has done well at every other club he has been at, however like the eight other managers Sunderland have had in the past 5 years he has done badly when there. The common denominator is Sunderland, they are shit, they should realise it and do something about the club rather than sack the latest person they conned into the managers job.

I didn't say that though. 

I said an interim manager couldn't do much worse than Grayson did. Not that he's shit, just that he did poorly and you'd be hard pushed to do worse. I mean, you'd need to go on a run of 16 league games without a win, do worse than P8 W0D3L5 at home, conceding more 2 goals a game.

Grayson is a decent coach at that level, who was dealt a tough hand. But it's fair to say he did poorly with that hand.

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I didn't say that though. 

I said an interim manager couldn't do much worse than Grayson did. Not that he's shit, just that he did poorly and you'd be hard pushed to do worse. I mean, you'd need to go on a run of 16 league games without a win, do worse than P8 W0D3L5 at home, conceding more 2 goals a game.

Grayson is a decent coach at that level, who was dealt a tough hand. But it's fair to say he did poorly with that hand.

They could lose 11

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah but they can't just run along at the same pace they have, they need to improve if they want to avoid going down again. They need someone better than Grayson.

They'd need to double their PpG to get to around 50pts, which is the total that people seem to think will lead to safety. I think it's a little lower, but the fact remains they need a significant up-tick and I don't think there's anyone in the pool that they can fish in, that is up to that job, given the squad they've got and the funds they have to bolster it.

The only bit of good news for them is that they're scoring goals, in fact they're about midtable for GF, their problem is how many they're conceding. (and I suppose how often they have to come from behind). So if someone can come in and tighten them up at the back they might see a genuine improvement on the pitch and in the standings. That said, Hull are also free-scoring (Only 1st placed Wolves have scored more!) and they're stuck in 20th only 4pts clear of the relegation zone.

Current - 10Pts
Current - 0.625PpG 
Average Relegation - 46pts
To get to 47pts you need - 1.233PpG
Magic "Safety" number - 50pts
To get there you need - 1.333PpG

They need about 37 points from 30 games. Which works out to be about 4pts from every 3 games for the rest of the season. Whoever comes in will have a massive job on their hands. 

I dunno, it could be that there are several genuinely bad teams in play. Not written in stone that they'll need as many points as teams from previous seasons.

And they were improving towards the end of Grayson's time, IMO.

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I dunno, it could be that there are several genuinely bad teams in play. Not written in stone that they'll need as many points as teams from previous seasons.

And they were improving towards the end of Grayson's time, IMO.

Not set in stone, no, but that's a decent average over 15yrs. 

2016-17 – Down: Blackburn 51. Surviving: 51

2015-16 – Down: Charlton 40. Surviving: 49

2014-15 – Down: Millwall 41. Surviving: 46

2013-14 – Down: Doncaster 44. Surviving: 44

2012-13  – Down: Peterborough 54. Surviving: 55

2011-12 – Down: Portsmouth (10pts deducted) 40 points. Surviving: 48.

2010-11 – Down: Preston, Southend, Scunthorpe all 42. Surviving: 48

2009-10 – Down: Sheffield Wed 47. Surviving: 49.

2008-09 – Down: Norwich 46. Surviving: 51.

2007-08 – Down: Leicester 52. Surviving: 53.

2006-07 – Down: Southend 42. Surviving: 49.

2005-06 – Down: Crewe 42. Surviving: 50.

2004-05 – Down: Gillingham 50. Surviving: 50.

2003-04 – Down: Walsall 51. Surviving: 51.

2002-03 – Down: Sheffield Wed 46. Surviving: 50

Edited by The Fish