mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Aye, it's one thing presiding over a unique set of circumstances where they were propelled off the back of a world class talent, albeit with a decently organised side around him to taking over, what you have to believe, is the hardest job in English football at the minute. At least, in the top two leagues anyway. Basically, you're needing someone to eradicate an ingrown, toxic culture of lies, substance abuse and a defeatist, losing mentality that stretches back until about 2012 and if he can do that, then fair fucking play to him. 

You look at Euro 2016 and aye, that was a good run but you forget that we beat them and that was a shocking England side at the end of an poor tenure. To get to the Semis, they squeezed past Northern Ireland, gave Belgium a hiding tbf to them - though that was a Belgium side that was so, so poor when you consider the talent they have - before succumbing to a better organised side with a better world class talent. I think their journey felt more impressive because it was wrapped up in a tournament where so many teams (Belgium, Germany and Spain especially) underperformed and the trappings of the first ever 32 team Euros. Not begrudging the Welsh for celebrating it, like but Portugal had to get past Croatia, an early favourite, and a Poland side with one of the best strikers in the world and their victory over Wales was pretty cut and dry.

• Like 1

Colemans strength is pulling people together; I remember Al Fayed interrupting a post game interview to tell the nation as much when he turned things around at Fulham. Just been watching a piece on the bbc where Gareth Bale says exactly the same thing, this was from 2015 and their achievements the following year speak for themselves. That is precisely what SAFC need as it’s pretty plain to me that most of their players over the last 3 or 4 years haven’t really given a flying fuck about the club or it’s fans. He’s what they need tbh, let alone any cash injection. 

Edited by PaddockLad

If Short had money to spend, why didn't he offer it to Moyes, McInnes, Grayson, Karanka, or O'Neil? Coleman is a very good appointment for them, but he's not so good that he's a guaranteed safer bet in charge of funds than at least three of the above. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a phat contract with release clauses galore.

fwiw I think he'll get them pulling in the same direction at the very least and that could be enough to get them out of the relegation spots. His performance in the second tier, by the way;

Matches  W  D  L    Goals   Points   PPG
    107  30  35  42   112:140    125   1.17

Doubt Coleman will be able to get them promoted 17/18 without significant investment (which will surely only come with a new owner) and 3 years away from the Premier League money trough will leave lasting damage to that club's already shaky finances.

I think Grayson had them pulling in the same direction to some extent, they're just absolutely shite. And whatever problems there are beneath the surface won't be fixed by a manager without wholesale changes to the playing squad. Which won't happen. They'll want him out by the new year.

Makes no odds imo, they’ll go down.

He’ll have done an excellent job if he does save them, but he’s not that good a manager. His stock is the highest it’s ever been due to a good run at the Euros but other than that he’s not done a great deal in his career. 

The thread about him is belta on SMB, he was mint then they called him worse than shite when it looked like he was using them as leverage for a better Wales deal, now he’s quality again.