mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Just now, ewerk said:

The thing is, who’s going to want to go there? There’s a good chance that they’ll be playing in League 1 next season and they’re no longer able to offer ott wages.

Plenty of players who'll be good enough to keep them in that league will take the chance to go play for one of the biggest clubs in that league. Just like people still get excited about joining Leeds. 

They need to sign players like Daryl Murphy, Grant Hanley.. experienced Championship players who can turn draws to wins and losses to draws.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Plenty of players who'll be good enough to keep them in that league will take the chance to go play for one of the biggest clubs in that league. Just like people still get excited about joining Leeds. 

They need to sign players like Daryl Murphy, Grant Hanley.. experienced Championship players who can turn draws to wins and losses to draws.

We know only too well what a team that looks good on paper but is rotten to the core gets you.

From a distance, it feels like he'd have a better shot of saving them if he signed a squad of Sunday League players with the right attitude.

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Is there any precedent of any Championship spending their way out of trouble at those levels? Let alone one that's probably in the top 5 indebted clubs in the country

I know Aston Villa weren't in as bad a situation (obviously), but they spent in the January window last season, didn't they?

Just now, adios said:

We know only too well what a team that looks good on paper but is rotten to the core gets you.

From a distance, it feels like he'd have a better shot of saving them if he signed a squad of Sunday League players with the right attitude.

At least that wouldn't cost much. ;)

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I know Aston Villa weren't in as bad a situation (obviously), but they spent in the January window last season, didn't they?

At least that wouldn't cost much. ;)

Not sure how Villa last season relates to their position at all tbh

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That pair cost us £9m and both were sold to teams with aims of getting promotion.

Sunderland isn’t the draw you’re making it out to be.

Realistically, I think Fish wants them to implode as much as we do, but his RTG commitments have compromised him to a degree. He's being watched, so he has to behave here as he would there.

Deep down, he knows they're staring death in the face, and he's fucking loving it ;)

• Haha 1

:lol: Aye howay Fish man, they have no money and I really don’t think teams have interest in Kone or Ndong. The Kone to West Ham link is just lazy paper talk iyam, the bloke had a decent 6 months but has been hopeless in the nearly 18 months since so I’d be more inclined to take his form over that longer spell as being more telling of his ability. 

There’s no hope of Coleman galvanizing the team and turning it around either, their recent win over Nottingham was as undeserved as you’ll ever see, I think they had 1 shot all game to Forests 20+ and had an expected goals amount of 0.05.

I think clinging onto the bottom of the PL for so long meant weaker and weaker playing staff and they really are as dreadful as their position. Players like Donald Love, Watmore, Honeyman, Paddy McNair are League one level players that people see as being more than that as they played a bit in the Premier League. 

I agree with what ewerk is saying about them being a very weak draw for players, if you go there and they go down you’re fucked really as they’d hang onto you in League One and then your reputation will decline rapidly. It’d have to be them paying massively over the odds for people and they simply don’t have the funds. 

Edited by Howay

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Realistically, I think Fish wants them to implode as much as we do, but his RTG commitments have compromised him to a degree. He's being watched, so he has to behave here as he would there.

Deep down, he knows they're staring death in the face, and he's fucking loving it ;)

I think Fish should post something here like

" I'd be so happy to see the sad mackem bastards go down again, i might even go to their last home match and piss myself laughing with all the other Mags there, just like Gillingham"  

Then go back on rtg and suck a few mackem cocks just to see what they say. :D

12 hours ago, ewerk said:

That pair cost us £9m and both were sold to teams with aims of getting promotion.

Sunderland isn’t the draw you’re making it out to be.

I'm not making it out to be a huge draw or anything, but Player A is more likely to want to join Sunderland over, say, Burton or Ipswich etc. Certainly if Sunderland are offering more money. Which I think Short has  to.

11 hours ago, Rayvin said:

You think I'm voicing an unpopular opinion to avoid criticism from Sunderland fans? :lol:

11 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: Aye howay Fish man, they have no money and I really don’t think teams have interest in Kone or Ndong. The Kone to West Ham link is just lazy paper talk iyam, the bloke had a decent 6 months but has been hopeless in the nearly 18 months since so I’d be more inclined to take his form over that longer spell as being more telling of his ability. 

There’s no hope of Coleman galvanizing the team and turning it around either, their recent win over Nottingham was as undeserved as you’ll ever see, I think they had 1 shot all game to Forests 20+ and had an expected goals amount of 0.05.

I think clinging onto the bottom of the PL for so long meant weaker and weaker playing staff and they really are as dreadful as their position. Players like Donald Love, Watmore, Honeyman, Paddy McNair are League one level players that people see as being more than that as they played a bit in the Premier League. 

I agree with what ewerk is saying about them being a very weak draw for players, if you go there and they go down you’re fucked really as they’d hang onto you in League One and then your reputation will decline rapidly. It’d have to be them paying massively over the odds for people and they simply don’t have the funds. 

If they don't sign anyone they're in deep shit and will surely be in a relegation battle for the rest of the season at best. That alone should force Short's hand. 

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying their troubles, I just don't think it's done and dusted.

To be fair, there's no need to blow smoke up their arses.

They're absolutely shite, they have no money, a squad full of alcoholic poltroons & an empty stadium riddled with crisp packets & pink seats.

They'll lose their best player this window and nobody will want to go there. I'd be amazed if they don't go down.

Yours Sincerely,

Mag In Peace #Ftm

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

The sad bastards think Jeff ' gurning face ' Brown is employed by the BBC to even things up.His accent alone should be enough to keep him off air.

• Like 1

The whole culture of the club has been wrong for years and they did nothing to try and sort it out.  Poyet intimated as much and you'd have thought that they would have finally got the message in the summer.  But Short wasn't interested and instead they relied on the fact that they had a load of players with premier league experience to get them back up.  They didn't realise that all of the decent premier league players they had, who had been making the other look better, had already fucked off.  All they were left with was the shite that no one else wanted, especially given the wages they were already on with them.  They brought in more cheap shit that no one else wanted because Short wont fund them anymore and those players quickly bought into the losing culture of the whole area.

If they lose their only goal scorer and don't make significant signings they are completely fucked imo.  But I really don't see Short funding anything of note so it's going to have to be loans.  It's not impossible that this will be enough for them but with loan players you always run the risk that they don't give a fuck and just quickly settle in with the rest of the drunks there.

Of course Burton, Bolton and Birmingham are all shite as well and Hull are in absolute free fall at the moment so it's possible that they do it.  But I think it will be as much about luck as anything else.  Because I don't see that they have an owner willing to do what's required or a manager massively capable with the resources he has.