mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I was looking to see if the Stadium of light be the biggest stadium ever to be the permanent home of a League one side? 

It's comfortably the largest in the Championship and would be c20k larger than the largest currently hosting 3rd tier games. They're averaging gates of 27k in the Championship and you'd imagine they'd lose at least another c5k or so if they drop again. And given the loss of tv money, the last year of parachute payments, the gross wage bill and the debt they're in, the drop in gate receipts could have lasting impact on the club. 

The only future I see for them in the short term is a spartan period of austerity and "consolidation". 

Their external debt is sizeable, would the lenders take the stadium as payment? Would they see something akin to the turmoil that Coventry City have endured over the Ricoh Arena?

I know we've got our problems, and our Premier League future is in no way guaranteed, but this is another year where I thank Christ we're not them. Even when we got relegated we had cause to be optimistic, they haven't had that. We had one of the most trophied managers around guiding us back to the Premier League at the first time of asking no muss, no fuss. One who was able to replace the mercenaries and wantaways with more than 10 new players for the first team and squad...

Short apparently would have kept Moyes on had he not demanded enough money to overhaul the squad, then they got rejected by McInnes who also thought the club needed more money than was offered, and the same for O'Neill, then the uninspiring appointment of Grayson and little investment in the squad, then Coleman and fuck all spent again. 

We had a lovely spa getaway in the Championship, smashing teams about 6-0. They're getting smashed by teams like Cardiff and Ipswich...

It'd be funny enough if it was any other "big club", but because it's affecting the fans who delighted in our relegation, who told us Benitez would leave, when he stayed that he couldn't cut it in the Championship, that he'd bought shit, that he'd bought the league, that Leeds/Reading/Huddersfield/Fulham would catch us, that winning it doesn't matter because it's a joke league anyway,... it's hilarious.

• Like 1

What the fuck?

Did you get permanently banned from RTG? Or has all of this suddenly become too much to hold in?

;)

Decent post though. I do wonder what will happen to them.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

What way are the parachute payments structured? Do you get more in season 1 than season 2? If it’s equally divided then it might see them survive a season in League One. It depends on a lot of factors like what big earners they can shift in the summer and what sponsorship deals remain in place. I can’t imagine that the difference in TV and prize money between the Championship and League 1 is what will make or break them.

Of course Short May just think that it isn’t worth the effort and pull the plug if they go down.

I thought they were scaled down each year, but it should still be sizeable by League 1 standards. If they offload their loan players for a few 10s of million and pick up the parachute payments, they probably will be ok. I mean that external debt costs them £10m per season or something like that, right?

I suppose most of the parachute will go into paying off the external debt though. I imagine more austerity will follow in spending.

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I thought they were scaled down each year, but it should still be sizeable by League 1 standards. If they offload their loan players for a few 10s of million and pick up the parachute payments, they probably will be ok. I mean that external debt costs them £10m per season or something like that, right?

I suppose most of the parachute will go into paying off the external debt though. I imagine more austerity will follow in spending.

The problem with offloading those players is whether other clubs will offer them the same money as they would be on at Sunderland. They may find themselves paying off players in order to move them on. 

Suppose that's true. I can't see them hitting administration though, not really. I mean I think that's what we all have in the back of our minds, but are they really run that badly? Would Short even let that happen?

If it gets to the point where their external debts are greater than the value of the club then he has to make a decision. They're suddenly worth an awful lot less when in League 1.

Edited by ewerk

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If it gets to the point where their external debts are greater than the value of the club then he has to make a decision. They're suddenly worth an awful lot less when in League 1.

What kind of decision? Like he might let them hit administration in order to cut his losses? His background is in asset stripping businesses or something like that right? I could actually see him making a brutal decision here, although the press would go ballistic I suspect.

I don't think he'll worry about bad (local) press if he takes them into administration.He knows the jobs fucked.Are they not losing £2m a month? They haven't got one player worth more than £10m.I'm fact,do they have anyone of Championship quality? Every club knows they're skint so they're in no position to hold out for big money come the summer transfer window,regarding selling players.

I think they'd get national press if they hit administration tbh. As for the players, the one out on loan maybe more than £10m. In terms of what they actually have in their first team, they seem pretty dire.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Not sure any of their players are worth £10m, and certainly won't be should they be relegated once more. NDong's loan to Watford apparently has an option to buy, but he's yet to feature for them at all and I'd be surprised if he commands £10m. Borini's fee is reported to be about £5m, Khazri's is about the same, I'd be shocked if Djilobodji could attracts bids of more than £5m. Kone's stock will have dropped as well. 

Say they did get £30m* would that be enough to; service their debt, cover running costs and build a team good enough to get promoted into the Championship at the first time of asking? 

*figure picked out of the clear blue

Aye if they go down those players will be worth even less purely because any club wanting to buy them will know how shit a position they will be in.  They had no interest in playing for them in the championship so they have fuck all chance of getting them to play in league one.  Even the ones that haven't been flops while out on loan like Lens and Karzi will go for a fraction of what they might have.  Any interested clubs will have a massive upper hand on them because of this the knowledge of their finances.  I can't see them getting more than £5m for anyone.