mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

There's a thread on RTG at the moment trying to determine when things went wrong - and it's framed as if it could only either have been with Moyes or Grayson. A few of them seem astute enough to look further back, with Di Fanti being the true source it seems (rubbish recruitment genuinely does seem to have been their achilles heel).

Moyes is proving with West ham that he has enough about him to keep a club up if given the resources. Grayson wasn't given a chance in hell really, same for Coleman (not that either are very good).

What gets me though is the crazed belief some of them have that they were going to really kick on under Allardyce of all people. As if he wasn't desperately looking for a way out when England came calling...

57 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

There's a thread on RTG at the moment trying to determine when things went wrong - and it's framed as if it could only either have been with Moyes or Grayson. A few of them seem astute enough to look further back, with Di Fanti being the true source it seems (rubbish recruitment genuinely does seem to have been their achilles heel).

Moyes is proving with West ham that he has enough about him to keep a club up if given the resources. Grayson wasn't given a chance in hell really, same for Coleman (not that either are very good).

What gets me though is the crazed belief some of them have that they were going to really kick on under Allardyce of all people. As if he wasn't desperately looking for a way out when England came calling...

To be honest, their idea of "kicking on" seems significantly different to ours. A season in the top flight without miraculously surviving by the skin of their teeth would be "kicking on" for them and you'd fancy Allardyce would have managed that race to mediocrity. Even on their meagre budget.

Staggers me there hasn't been a mass protest against the owner. The sum of their discontent seems to be a few angry swears at whoever is current sap in the dugout and empty seats. There've been threads meekly suggesting something; a banner, or a march or whatever, and they've been met with an insistence that those protests wouldn't do anything and they instead need to get behind the team now more than ever. Some even saying they shouldn't stoop to our level. As if meekly turning up (or staying away) is somehow more respectable than an organised demonstration of displeasure. 

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Tbh I saw a good post on there the other day that summed it up well. Managers aside, they took a team which was relegated pretty comprehensively from the PL last year, sold two of its best players, and loaned out all the other decent ones.

No fucking mystery that they ended up at the foot of the Championship on that evidence.

You have to wonder how many of the current crop of players will stay when they fall into League 1 as well. Oviedo must see himself as above that. Cattermole possibly, shit as he is. O'Shea? How many will actually stick around for League 1...

Think Rodwell won't fuck off and leave them in the shite. Canny kid, him. Good pro. :good:

• Haha 1

Their only hope of getting rid of the shower that they have at the moment is a further relegation clause in the their contracts which might get them down to a level that bottom half of the championship teams might be able to afford.  But I serious doubt they factored the possibility of a second relegation into any contracts.  The better players (ie the ones who are already out on loan) will go for a comparative pittance and they'll be left with the likes of McNair, Love, Matthews (nope I don't know who he is either), O'Shea if he doesn't retire and the young kids.  I can't see them having much money to even bring in some experienced lower league players to help their plight.  

I must admit, I'm enjoying this.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If they get relegated they could potentially be playing Accrington Stanley next season. They have a similar ground capacity to Blyth Spartans :lol:

Who are they?

23 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

'Catts for England' isn't that long ago.There is no such thing as a crisis on Wearshitside if they are above us.

Yes,you can have a football discussion with a makem, but once him and his makem mates get together the bullshit starts.

1 hour ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

'Catts for England' isn't that long ago.There is no such thing as a crisis on Wearshitside if they are above us.

Yes,you can have a football discussion with a makem, but once him and his makem mates get together the bullshit starts.

@Ant essembot is on the fritz again.

Win the Euros tonight, buy the mackems, sell off the squad, knock down the ground and the training facilities to put up some student flats. It'd be a kindness. Then they can start up AFC Sunderland or whatever, with all their favourite bits of Sunderland AFC, but none of the bad. Just like Rangers have managed.

And you'd still have £100m to spend.