mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Incredibly they're still only 4 points from safety though. Let's hope Boro continue their humiliation on Saturday.  

How many matches in a row have the smoggies won against them ? 

Is it 5 or 6 ?  You'd think middlesbro would let them have the home and away wins just to keep them up :D

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Tbf, I think it's really sinking in now on RTG. 

:lol:

It will sink in further when they're playing our U21s in the EFL Trophy in front of 5000 at the SoL.

Looking seriously dangerous now. Hull are consistently giving them a lifeline though. Tbh, what the fuck happened to Hull anyway? As dire and ridiculous as Sunderland's situation is, something almost as fucking grim must be happening down the road.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Looking seriously dangerous now. Hull are consistently giving them a lifeline though. Tbh, what the fuck happened to Hull anyway? As dire and ridiculous as Sunderland's situation is, something almost as fucking grim must be happening down the road.

Seems like another owner who's lost interest and/or can't afford to keep shelling out money. But until recently they've always been a poorly supported club who've spent most of their time in the lower reaches of the Football League. As an aside, the FA Cup at the weekend made me think of Coventry and how far they've fallen. When they went out of the Premier League in the early 2000s they'd been a top flight side for decades (30-odd years) with good attendance figures too. Just shows what can happen.

• Sad 1

Aye, was looking at the league tables generally and did a double take when I saw Coventry midtable in League 2. I know they've had all kinds of shit going on in the background but even so.

Heaven forbid it ever happens to us. And realistically, I'd be amazed if it happened to Sunderland as well - 46k seater stadium in League 1 is bad though...

Anything is possible with complete mismanagement from the top, but I think that's what it would take for any club around the size of us to really drop for any significant time.  Leeds are smaller and although they still haven't completely recovered from Ridsdale, they reasonably easily moved out of league one despite being owned by a loon.

14 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I shouldn't laugh but :lol::lol::lol:

Screen_Shot_2018-02-20_at_22.18.49.png

I was in the car for a bit of their first half last night so was listening to the radio Newcastle commentary.  They mentioned Camp's name and I did think to myself that it was a shame that they'd managed to get themselves a half decent keeper for the rest of the season after the performances from the chuckle brothers.  Then I heard Gary Bennett's reaction to the goal and pissed myself laughing.  As if rest of the setup wasn't bad enough but the amount of goals their keepers have cost them this season is brilliant.

22 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Anything is possible with complete mismanagement from the top, but I think that's what it would take for any club around the size of us to really drop for any significant time.  Leeds are smaller and although they still haven't completely recovered from Ridsdale, they reasonably easily moved out of league one despite being owned by a loon.

Yeah but that was largely down to the fact they had a good manager. A certain 'Simon Grayson' if memory serves.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah but that was largely down to the fact they had a good manager. A certain 'Simon Grayson' if memory serves.

Being a bigger club allows you to get better managers though.  Has there been any traditionally big clubs who have really fallen and not managed to come back at least most of the way in the last thirty or forty years?  You probably have to go back to the likes of Preston or Blackpool for clubs who were once big and never managed to at least partly re establish themselves.  I'd love to see the mackems give it a go mind.

Edited by David Kelly

3 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Being a bigger club allows you to get better managers though.  Has there been any traditionally big clubs who have really fallen and not managed to come back at least most of the way in the last thirty or forty years?  You probably have to go back to the likes of Preston or Blackpool for clubs who were once big and never managed to at least partly re establish themselves.  I'd love to see the mackems give it a go mind.

They aren't a big club though. Yes they've got a big ground but they're only getting crowds in the low 20,000s at best which isn't massive for the Championship. They've won one cup in eighty years. But most importantly they're treated as an irrelevance by the rest of the country, something that couldn't be said about the likes of us or Leeds. They will come back from this. They may clear out the squad and get a good manager in and rebuild in the next five years or they could find themselves playing in the lower levels for the next ten years. Barring a rich owner coming in for them it's a great deal down to luck.

36 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I was in the car for a bit of their first half last night so was listening to the radio Newcastle commentary.  They mentioned Camp's name and I did think to myself that it was a shame that they'd managed to get themselves a half decent keeper for the rest of the season after the performances from the chuckle brothers.  Then I heard Gary Bennett's reaction to the goal and pissed myself laughing.  As if rest of the setup wasn't bad enough but the amount of goals their keepers have cost them this season is brilliant.

The Bolton Keeper having a good game too by all accounts, which is even funnier since he used to play for the mackems.

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

They aren't a big club though. Yes they've got a big ground but they're only getting crowds in the low 20,000s at best which isn't massive for the Championship. They've won one cup in eighty years. But most importantly they're treated as an irrelevance by the rest of the country, something that couldn't be said about the likes of us or Leeds. They will come back from this. They may clear out the squad and get a good manager in and rebuild in the next five years or they could find themselves playing in the lower levels for the next ten years. Barring a rich owner coming in for them it's a great deal down to luck.

I'm not calling them a big club.  But any club that's pulling in 40k (albeit topped up with freebies) in the Premier League and still 20k's in the championship despite being absolutely gash for years is still one of the bigger clubs in country and as such have access to greater resources.  Not one of the very top but there are 92 league clubs and professional clubs in the conference.  Even if they're only relevant to themselves and (to much lesser extent) the rest of the North East.  But it does appear that they have been mismanaged (maybe not as badly as Leeds or Portsmouth) financially so they do need someone to come in and sort them out.  I'm not all that up on how much they're in debt but from what I understand, it will take someone a lot more than £50m to do it.

A 'just for fun' thread on there.....

What have you done in your life since Newcastle last beat Sunderland on 20th August 2011 ?

Ive had a son born on Aug 24th 2011 whos now 6 1/2.
Been married just over 6yrs
Had 4 jobs
3 houses

I wonder how long it will be until we next play them.

Fair play tbh, if my club was staring into the abyss after losing a six pointer the very thing I'd be doing is reminiscing about my life since our last derby defeat.