mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Was a cup in the canteen at work today with a, frankly horrifying, drawing of a bloke in a Sunderland strip with a raisin for a head that said "Sunderland's Biggest Nut!" or something like that. I thought "What a poor bastard" before promptly hiding it.

I look forward to the thread on smb "Mag at work hid my cup" 

• Haha 2

If Sunderland improved their ppg by half they would still only get 41 points. That’s the same points tally Hull would get by simply sticking to their current ppg ratio. I think to survive they would need to improve more than that and double this tally. However there is no way they can do that.

I think it’s more about the mini league around the arse end of the table. Their trajectory does suggest they’re going  down, but theres still a fair few games left, and plenty of clubs still within touching distance. They only need to do better than 3 clubs by the end of the season.....not much suggests they’re currently capable of that, but a Pardew-esque mini run would see them climb clear. Such is the pile of shit at the bottom of that league.

They’ve only actually scored something like 1 goal in their last 7 or 8 games haven’t they? 

What a fucking tragic side they are. Probably struggle in League one as well, imagine the fucking clip of the manager they’ll get in once MLF Chris fucks off. 

Only three out of the last twelve clubs relegated from the Championship have come back up. You'd have to assume that if they've any money to spend at all that they'd be favs for promotion but if they end up in administration or just continue their curse of being totally shite then it mightn't be that easy.

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Sunderland have dropped 2 or 3 points in almost every game this year and are still only 3 points from safety. They are a long way off being relegated. If they end up 7 or 8 points clear of safety then I’ll start celebrating 

Sort of somewhere in the middle I think. It's quite remarkable [/David Coleman] that they're still within touching distance of safety given their set of results but, as Ewerk points out, it's difficult to see where the run of results needed will come from. I agree with you that they aren't dead and buried yet though. As an aside, I was looking at the last couple of seasons and Blackburn went down with over 50 points (51, with Forest on the same amount but with a marginally better goal difference). The two seasons before that it was 40 and 41 points respectively for 3rd bottom. Obviously the extra games relative to the Premiership makes it less predictable in terms of what you'd need to survive but they're a long way from even the 40-point barrier.

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

They're 4 points off safety because Hull and Barnsley have a game in hand which is against each other 

It would be good if they both won

37 minutes ago, Alex said:

Sort of somewhere in the middle I think. It's quite remarkable [/David Coleman] that they're still within touching distance of safety given their set of results but, as Ewerk points out, it's difficult to see where the run of results needed will come from. I agree with you that they aren't dead and buried yet though. As an aside, I was looking at the last couple of seasons and Blackburn went down with over 50 points (51, with Forest on the same amount but with a marginally better goal difference). The two seasons before that it was 40 and 41 points respectively for 3rd bottom. Obviously the extra games relative to the Premiership makes it less predictable in terms of what you'd need to survive but they're a long way from even the 40-point barrier.

What was the point tally for 4th bottom though?

On 17/11/2017 at 11:16, The Fish said:

They'd need to double their PpG to get to around 50pts, which is the total that people seem to think will lead to safety. I think it's a little lower, but the fact remains they need a significant up-tick and I don't think there's anyone in the pool that they can fish in, that is up to that job, given the squad they've got and the funds they have to bolster it.

The only bit of good news for them is that they're scoring goals, in fact they're about midtable for GF, their problem is how many they're conceding. (and I suppose how often they have to come from behind). So if someone can come in and tighten them up at the back they might see a genuine improvement on the pitch and in the standings. That said, Hull are also free-scoring (Only 1st placed Wolves have scored more!) and they're stuck in 20th only 4pts clear of the relegation zone.

Current - 10Pts
Current - 0.625PpG 
Average Relegation - 46pts
To get to 47pts you need - 1.233PpG
Magic "Safety" number - 50pts
To get there you need - 1.333PpG

They need about 37 points from 30 games. Which works out to be about 4pts from every 3 games for the rest of the season. Whoever comes in will have a massive job on their hands. 

Posted this back in November.

Where they stand now;

Current - 26Pts
Current - 0.788PpG 
To get to 47pts they need - 1.615PpG
To get there you need - 1.846PpG

So they need about 21pts from 13 games. So 7 wins would do it...

:lol:

Either they're just really shit, in which case they're going to go down come what may - or they're an unmotivated group of tossers, in which case there's a slim chance that they might wake up and pull themselves out of it.

I can't decide which one I think it is tbh. Most of them were PL players for some time (albeit bad ones), so I could almost believe it's the second one. Even if it is though, there's no guarantee that they will have any kind of awakening.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Either they're just really shit, in which case they're going to go down come what may - or they're an unmotivated group of tossers, in which case there's a slim chance that they might wake up and pull themselves out of it.

I can't decide which one I think it is tbh. Most of them were PL players for some time (albeit bad ones), so I could almost believe it's the second one. Even if it is though, there's no guarantee that they will have any kind of awakening.

Their striker situation alone would bury them from here even if the others woke up. Their slagging off of Grabban on RTG prompting him to fuck the ungrateful cunts off has done them

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Posted this back in November.

Where they stand now;

Current - 26Pts
Current - 0.788PpG 
To get to 47pts they need - 1.615PpG
To get there you need - 1.846PpG

So they need about 21pts from 13 games. So 7 wins would do it...

:lol:

These stats are a convoluted way of saying they’re shite tbh