mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I feel a bit sorry for them.

almost 

I'm not sure how bad it will have to get for me to even approach feeling sorry for them but it's probably a few divisions below league one...

15 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Couldn't give the cunts away, what a fucking sham they really are :lol: Not sure anyone could write this.

I actually don't think there'll be any takers. He's going to have to pay somebody to take them off his hands

Had a quick look over there and there's a thread about Mags giving them sympathy (and them mostly not wanting it) in which many of them are claiming we're obsessed with them :lol:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/defoe-could-be-back-to-play-against-the-mags.1419689/  :lol:

Love how that never better than average cunt has been shit at Bournemouth. They made out he was world class, best striker they'd ever seen play for them, better than Sewpa Kev etc and he's gone to Bournemouth and even before his injury been a benchwarmer. The excessive praise he got off of them for his weird relationship with that poorly kid made me sick as well. IAlmost as if they were over-compensating, to scream to the country that they're child-friendly after noncegate.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

They've got a point, I'll personally be absolutely gutted if they survive relegation. Not as gutted as they'd be if Benitez signed a new contract like. 

It's slightly ironic that it's in yet another thread about their rivals though.

31 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/defoe-could-be-back-to-play-against-the-mags.1419689/  :lol:

Love how that never better than average cunt has been shit at Bournemouth. They made out he was world class, best striker they'd ever seen play for them, better than Sewpa Kev etc and he's gone to Bournemouth and even before his injury been a benchwarmer. The excessive praise he got off of them for his weird relationship with that poorly kid made me sick as well. IAlmost as if they were over-compensating, to scream to the country that they're child-friendly after noncegate.

Aye Defoe done well there but they’re incapable of context. He scored so often because their game plan was basically give the ball to Defoe and let him shoot, whereas at another club he gets a more normal level of chances. It’s been similar with Grabban this season, he scored far more than a striker of his ability usually would as everything was put through him.

As I say Defoe did well and you still have to be good enough to put the chances away (shite like Joselu would squander them) but as you say they get really over the top about him because they constantly ignore context. It’s similar with Allardyce and them, they see him as an unbelievable manager despite him having them surviving by 1 point over a club that was completely imploding under McClaren. If we hadn’t have went down that season I highly doubt they’d see him as some quality manager. 

21 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye Defoe done well there but they’re incapable of context. He scored so often because their game plan was basically give the ball to Defoe and let him shoot, whereas at another club he gets a more normal level of chances. It’s been similar with Grabban this season, he scored far more than a striker of his ability usually would as everything was put through him.

As I say Defoe did well and you still have to be good enough to put the chances away (shite like Joselu would squander them) but as you say they get really over the top about him because they constantly ignore context. It’s similar with Allardyce and them, they see him as an unbelievable manager despite him having them surviving by 1 point over a club that was completely imploding under McClaren. If we hadn’t have went down that season I highly doubt they’d see him as some quality manager. 

There's a good bit about how strikers like Defoe (although the example used in the book is Owen) are detrimental to the way a team plays in general in Jonanthan Wilson's* Inverting the Pyramid. The main gist of it is that as the game has evolved just scoring goals isn't enough. Based around Owen himself asking the question "Isn't scoring goals enough?" As you might expect, the answer is no. Owen, as you might expect, was typically lacking in self-effacement when he asked the question, thinking it was enough. It specifically related to criticism from Keegan when Owen was playing for him when the former was England manager. I wouldn't know enough about Grabban this season because I haven't seen him play but it's perhaps noteworthy that even with Defoe's scoring record (and with Grabban even more so I guess) Sunderland were still pretty gash. That's not to put all the blame on Defoe of course but there's a reason that sort of player has become an anachronism - they don't give enough to the team as a whole and results suffer

*From Sunderland, as it happens

• Like 1

:lol: True

Btw, been reading Martin Hardy's Rafa's Way and there's a bit where he's talking about when it was confirmed we were down (when Sunderland beat Everton) and he was on about the local press all being there and an ex-Sunderland player saying "Well, he Mags are down, that's the main thing" or similar. Absolutely nailed on it was Gary Bennett.