mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

They still have a number of big earners in the squad. They also have to hope that none of the big earners they loaned out this season come back to them as they'd be a huge drain on a League One side.

Edited by ewerk

Immediately preceding their 6 in a row, Sunderland had a record of P16 W1 :lol:  It never got a mention.

Before Pardew got his hands on the club we had only lost 4 derbies in my lifetime. I really fucking hate that bloke

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Fish said:

They've still got a few big earners, don't they? 

According to Transfermarkt Jack Rodwell's contract doesn't run out until 30/06/2019. His reported weekly wage (£70k) 

He's sunderland's Michael Owen, just with fewer goals.

I am starting to think that administration is their only way out now, Short has offered to write off his debt if someone takes the club according to reports. So that leaves outside debt and players contracts. Both I think (I may be mistaken) would be nixed by administration and the overpaid players would be gotten off the books and left with the young ones. It may start to look more attractive to short than having to pump m,ore money in just to be in league one with no guarantees of getting out.

But I know fuck all about high finance so may be talking shit.

23 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I am starting to think that administration is their only way out now, Short has offered to write off his debt if someone takes the club according to reports. So that leaves outside debt and players contracts. Both I think (I may be mistaken) would be nixed by administration and the overpaid players would be gotten off the books and left with the young ones. It may start to look more attractive to short than having to pump m,ore money in just to be in league one with no guarantees of getting out.

But I know fuck all about high finance so may be talking shit.

Their outside debt will include both external financing and footballing debts such as outstanding transfer payments. 

In the event of administration the football debt i.e. transfers and wages will be paid before anyone else. So if they want rid of their big earners they'll still have to pay them up. Chances are though that the administrators would try to transfer them to other clubs on free or heavily reduced fees. The PL may also choose to advance them their outstanding parachute payments to help them.

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Immediately preceding their 6 in a row, Sunderland had a record of P16 W1 :lol:  It never got a mention.

Before Pardew got his hands on the club we had only lost 4 derbies in my lifetime. I really fucking hate that bloke

Speaking of Pardew

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Mackem lad I know reckons they might take the hit now and points deduction now rather than risk it next season. So they’re planning for potentially getting relegated to League 2 and they’re not even in League 1 yet :lol: 

:lol: There are threads on SMB where some are already starting the bounce right back up from League one comments. Genuinely don’t know how fans of a side that have won 11 games in the last two seasons could ever be confident of doing that. 

If they go into Administration and are subsequently wound up, do you reckon there'd be an AFC Sunderland, or Sunderland City Football Club crop up? They've already halved their attendance by dropping into the 2nd tier, and would see a similar exodus in League 1. Should they start afresh surely they'll see huge numbers of fans sack it off entirely, losing them to Shields and maybe the younger kids to us?

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

We said it in the summer and it's still true. They need a massive clear out of players to rid them from the acceptance of failure.

Yeah, I can't see the senior players who can't be arsed this season busting a gut next season in League One. It's not a surprise they haven't come straight back up but they shouldn't be where they are either so it doesn't exactly augur well for next year if most of them are still hanging around

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/blame-almost-entirely-at-moyes-door.1423426/

That thread is an example of their blindness to the real issues. Look at the way the topic starter describes Allardyces season, he’s talking about a season where they only won 9 and finished 2 points off relegation ffs they were essentially an Everton side not wanting to get their manager fired away from the drop. 

It would have been interesting to see how Allardyce would have gotten on had he stayed. Given the budget Moyes had to work with I doubt whether Fat Sam would have stayed anyway even if he didn't have the England job to go to.

Difference between us and the mackems is this. Should we stay up this year, and the mackems go down, which looks likely, we'll still think this has been a relatively shit season. Completely shit should rafa leave. Our neighbours double dropping has been an amusing distraction, that's all.

Can you imagine it if the situations were reversed, with the mackems staying in the premiership and us going into the third tier? The whole of wearside would be dripping with Sunderland spunk. It'd be smeared on every TV, kitchen table, and lamp post. That's the difference. 

• Haha 1

I mean, we've joked about it, but they're genuinely responding to any Newcastle fan's jokes (or apparent sympathy) with "Wiz meyt be reluhgayted agin, but wiz will always be ayble to laugh at yooz. Yooz are still hurtin after the faymous 6 in a rowuh!"

If we were getting relegated to the 3rd tier of English football so soon after being a top flight team, if we looked on the brink of financial ruin, if the team was bereft of players I could get behind, I wouldn't give a toss about our league record against our local rivals. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I really dont think many of them do care, i think they just want to defend themselves with something.

You're far too nice. Doesn't really matter what their motive is, the SMB is pathetic. Their obsession with us is something to behold, in particular their obsession with Rafa Benitez which is actually a bit disturbing.

If we were in their situation, do you think we'd give a shiny shit about them? Yet I guarantee next year in league one, and the year after after liquidation, they'll still be equally obsessed. 

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

You're far too nice. Doesn't really matter what their motive is, the SMB is pathetic. Their obsession with us is something to behold, in particular their obsession with Rafa Benitez which is actually a bit disturbing.

If we were in their situation, do you think we'd give a shiny shit about them? Yet I guarantee next year in league one, and the year after after liquidation, they'll still be equally obsessed. 

The only reason I can think of to explain the amount they try to denigrate Benitez is because it's so obvious he's a better manager than we could have hoped for. He's good enough to necessitate a concerted effort to pull him down. If Hughton had taken charge after our relegation and steered us back to 13th, I guarantee he wouldn't be getting the criticism. It's jealousy, pure and simple. In my life time they've never had a manager as trophied or capable as Benitez. We've had good and great managers and the best they've had is... Steve Bruce? Peter Reid? Sam Allardyce? And the latter could only manage scraping survival after a season played entirely in the bottom 4.

I look forward to the glee they show when we're beaten soundly by Man City at St James' Park. Or when Benitez gets fed up of Ashley's shit and leaves. All before they draw 0-0 at home to Fleetwood to drop into the relegation spots at Christmas.