mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Will they? There weren't many who thought they'd get relegated this season (myself included). They'll be going down with Burton who've experience in that league, plus 1 of Bolton, Birmingham, Reading (and maybe Hull). They might shift Rodwell and Cattermole, but who's left? 

They could be down there with a club like Blackburn or Wigan... so it's not like they're nailed on favourites.The standard of players they now have is League 1 level, but not even good League 1 level. They're bereft of confidence, with a tradition of failure ingrained in the club. They've won fewer games than anyone else in the country. When the exodus occurs they're not going to be flush with cash to spend on talent, unless Short funds it. The money that they'll get from parachute payments and player sales won't even clear their external debt.

Especially given the crap they've got on the playing staff. An ageing squad of overpaid turd. They need an overhaul but haven't the money to do that.

I've been guilty of overestimating them, I won't be doing it again.

I think the size of the club will start to be significant in League One. They're a bigger club than Blackburn and Wigan, and will require far less spending to win L1 than they would have to stay up in the Championship. But sure, they could fail. I hope they do. But I'm not counting on it.

54 minutes ago, The Fish said:

In total? Surely Khazri, Lens, Borini and Djilosjbsololjbsvjbssi will get them ÂŁ10m between them at least? Transfermarkt seems to think Borini and Lens will be joining their loan clubs permanently next season for ÂŁ9.6m

No I meant each.  I think Borini has a fee agreed of about £5m.  If they've got more than that for him they've negotiated much better on their sales last summer than they've managed on a purchase for the last twenty year.  If they're in league one next season the value of those players will automatically drop no matter how well they've done this season while on loan because everyone knows there's no chance of them playing for them again.  From what I read a while back, Djilobollocks has been utter shite.

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think the size of the club will start to be significant in League One. They're a bigger club than Blackburn and Wigan, and will require far less spending to win L1 than they would have to stay up in the Championship. But sure, they could fail. I hope they do. But I'm not counting on it.

I don't see how the size of the club helps them when they have nothing to spend.  Yes players might be more interested in going there than Northampton but they appear to be so fucked financially (hence bringing in league 1 players this season) I can't see them being able to pay for them.

Add to this the culture that has been around the club for years and the fact that they will have endured consecutive relegations, on top of losing generally for the last decade, and I really don't see a club the looks likely to be involved in a promotion push.  Unless of course there is a dramatic turnaround in the summer.

Just now, David Kelly said:

I don't see how the size of the club helps them when they have nothing to spend.  Yes players might be more interested in going there than Northampton but they appear to be so fucked financially (hence bringing in league 1 players this season) I can't see them being able to pay for them.

Add to this the culture that has been around the club for years and the fact that they will have endured consecutive relegations, on top of losing generally for the last decade, and I really don't see a club the looks likely to be involved in a promotion push.  Unless of course there is a dramatic turnaround in the summer.

Was thinking the loan market tbf. They could still arguably pull decent players based on the fact they were a PL outfit 2 years ago.

I suspect the drop off in standard from the Championship to League One is significant but I've never had to pay attention to League One before. So I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Was thinking the loan market tbf. They could still arguably pull decent players based on the fact they were a PL outfit 2 years ago.

I suspect the drop off in standard from the Championship to League One is significant but I've never had to pay attention to League One before. So I could be wrong.

They couldn't manage to utilise the loan market in the Championship despite having spend around a decade in the premier league so I certainly wouldn't bank on them being able to do it in league one.  The whole club is fucked from what I can see.  I don't rate Coleman anyway but I'll be surprised if he hangs around for next season.  Surely this can't have been what he was sold as the outgoing Wales manager.  If that's the case I can't imagine they'll be an attractive proposition for other managers beyond the ones who are already at that level.  That'll reduce their attractiveness to players further.

6 hours ago, ewerk said:

They’re allowed to make £105m in losses over three seasons. I’m not sure that FFP was the reason behind not spending.

Pretty sure they were on the brink of overspending their limit as they'd spunked it all up the previous three years.

7 hours ago, ewerk said:

They’re allowed to make £105m in losses over three seasons. I’m not sure that FFP was the reason behind not spending.

I'm not sure that's right.   IIRC the Championship cap is much lower and the losses they made in while in the Premiership exceeded that amount.   I'm happy to be corrected on this.

I got that figure wrong. They’re allowed to lose £83m over three years (two in PL and one in Championship). They lost £33m in 15/16, presumably less in 16/17 with the new TV deal and little outlay and I’ve no idea how they’re doing this season but apparently all the players had relegation clauses in their contracts so the wage bill should be cut.

Given the profit they made on transfers this season I don’t think their hands were tied, it’s more a case of Short refusing to put his hand in his pocket.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

all the players had relegation clauses in their contracts

Isn't that one of the problems with Rodwell?  He had the clause but they didn't envoke it.  They could have others in the same position.

I meant that their wages were reduced as a result of relegation rather than they could leave on a free. 

Actually some of them may have had a Defoe like free transfer clause but still couldn't get as good wages even on a free. :lol: 

Rodwell will still be on their books in the Conference unless they can get rid of him in administration. He’d be lucky to get offered his weekly salary on a yearly basis with his current reputation. 

On 4/5/2018 at 15:47, Rayvin said:

You saw how poor the likes of Burton and Rotherham were when we played them though, surely? 

The bulk of League One teams are as far from Derby as the bulk of Championship sides are from Everton. (They're probably a bad example because they're doing so poorly this year, but you get the jist, right?)

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I’m very confused as to what point you’re attempting to make.

His point is, he knows more about football than you, and me and everyone else in the world :icon_lol: