mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

How many mackems do you think would know that off the top of their head? One or two?

Clearly all them since they're the most loyal supporters ever to stay away from a stadium.   

21 hours ago, Howay said:

Aye it’s a weak league as they really are hitting the bottom rungs of the Pro tiers (think the average salary is something like £50k-£100k a year) so I could see them stabilizing down there. The issue for them will be getting out of the league tbh, as the longer they’re in it the harder it’ll be. They should fucking forget about the PL though as they’re a million miles away from that now. 

When was the last time a side was relegated to league 1 and returned? Southampton? That took them 7 seasons, administration and a takeover by a billionaire. Edit - It was Leicester in 2014 and it took them 10 years and a takeover by mandaric, then the King Power Group.

Leeds and Portsmouth are much less fortunate, the former has been out of the top flight for 14yrs, the latter 8 and neither looking likely to return any time soon. 

Best possible case for Sunderland is an immediate return to the Championship for the 2019/20 season and a subsequent promotion for the Premier League's 20/21 season. I just can't see that happening short of a miracle or cheating on a Football Manager save.

21 clubs have been relegated from the Premier League down to at least League 1.

• 2 clubs were in League 2 this season; Swindon & Coventry,
  • 7 were in League 1; Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers, Bradford City, Charlton Athletic, Oldham Athletic & Portsmouth, 
  • 9 in the Championship; Barnsley, Leeds United, Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, QPR, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Wigan Athletic, Wolves,
  • and only 3 have returned; Leicester, Southampton and Man City.

The average time spent out of the top flight for double relegated teams is 12 years. Sunderland are far, far more likely to join the ranks of Norwich and Leeds, than they are to become the next Leicester or Southampton.

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Did you not know they took 15,000 to both  Vasas Budapest and Sporting Lisbon.sunluns a massive club.

So I've read on RTG.  It's no surprise we're always 'fumin' and 'seething' when they make some witty comment about us.  I mean, they thwarted all their made up crap our plans to gate crash their last game by buying up all the Wolves tickets and if they hadn't flown their own banner and 'controlled the airspace' who knows what we would have done.  It wouldn't have been as clever as something they'd do though, what with them being every other teams special friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Fish said:

When was the last time a side was relegated to league 1 and returned? Southampton? That took them 7 seasons, administration and a takeover by a billionaire. Edit - It was Leicester in 2014 and it took them 10 years and a takeover by mandaric, then the King Power Group.

Leeds and Portsmouth are much less fortunate, the former has been out of the top flight for 14yrs, the latter 8 and neither looking likely to return any time soon. 

Best possible case for Sunderland is an immediate return to the Championship for the 2019/20 season and a subsequent promotion for the Premier League's 20/21 season. I just can't see that happening short of a miracle or cheating on a Football Manager save.

• 7 were in League 1; Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers, Bradford City, Charlton Athletic, Oldham Athletic & Portsmouth, 
  • 9 in the Championship; Barnsley, Leeds United, Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, QPR, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Wigan Athletic, Wolves,

The average time spent out of the top flight for double relegated teams is 12 years. Sunderland are far, far more likely to join the ranks of Norwich and Leeds, than they are to become the next Leicester or Southampton.

Aye, good summary of the situation. Your facts back up just how hard it is to return. 

I suppose it makes sense, when you drop into the Championship the longer you stay in it the more Championship standard your squad becomes. They’ve dropped again so their issue is even if they do manage promotion next season (fwiw I don’t see them doing it as I think there’s going to be too much upheaval, there are two sides dropping that came above them, and honestly I think their owner is a right fucking charlatan) they’ll firmly be a lower end Championship side quality wise (at the absolute best, they’ll be weaker than that iyam) so any shot of a double promotion is shot right there, especially with their owner Del Boy completely incapable of bankrolling them and their pathetic ticket sales not bringing in a good enough revenue. 

Imho this bloke will recruit a League One manager, look to sell off any sellable assets, and aim to have the manager play the youth and/or sign some League One players. There won’t be a “war chest” like some of the mackems think, or a big promotion push, he’ll have them stabilize down there to stop the rot and decline. The plus for us is this could see them become a proper League One side. I agree with Stone cold Stephen Ireland that we’ll not see these pricks in the PL in an awfully long time (personally hope they never return). 

15 hours ago, The Fish said:

"The average time spent out of the top flight for double relegated teams is 12 years"

wow !  

Someone go and tell them that on RTG 

14 hours ago, Leon said:

So I've read on RTG.  It's no surprise we're always 'fumin' and 'seething' when they make some witty comment about us.  I mean, they thwarted all their made up crap our plans to gate crash their last game by buying up all the Wolves tickets and if they hadn't flown their own banner and 'controlled the airspace' who knows what we would have done.  It wouldn't have been as clever as something they'd do though, what with them being every other teams special friends.

They complain when someone posts about their poor attendee figures then brag how brilliant the attendees are.

We recently put the bed their nonsense about real attendance numbers going down after relegation.

20 hours ago, The Fish said:

All very nice. But I'm afraid you failed to account for something none of those other clubs had.

The Don.

• Haha 1