mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

1 hour ago, 247 said:

Anytime one of us points out how funny this takeover is for us they just reply with 'seething' or 'look how rattled the mags are'

Totally fucking bizarre, they are one weird bunch like :lol:

Their 'mags are rattled' bit really is a strange one.  We've just finished 10th in the premier league, something that is just about their greatest achievement in the the premier league era (well apart from six in a row ftm) whilst they have been relegated to the third tier of English football for the second time in my lifetime (somewhere we've never been).  They are losing millions each month, have players on premier league wages who none of them even know where they are, don't have a manager and have just been bought by a bloke who has less money than those players on premier league wages and his Thatcher loving mate.  What reason could any of us have for being rattled by their recent history?  They only exist to be ridiculed or, if you're feeling unusually nice towards them, pitied.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Whoah, hang on. They came 7th under Reid. Twice!

Well I did say just about.  Really 7th and not getting in Europe is about as big an achievement as 10th and not in Europe anyway.  Which was probably your point :D 

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

Well I did say just about.  Really 7th and not getting in Europe is about as big an achievement as 10th and not in Europe anyway.  Which was probably your point :D 

It was, just about

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: I had to take a look and they’re fucking buzzing. After that Methven gave some very typical sort of lines “good club that’s been losing far too much over the last 10 year, have to get everyone facing the same direction” they’re all in love. They bang on about our fan base being sucked in after someone says the right thing ffs. One even proclaiming that this bloke knows Short and that they should all just imagine if Short had brought this bloke in rather than Bain, De Fanti, etc :lol: he’s said one thing ffs, there’s absolutely no evidence whatsoever he’s any better than them. 

They also all keep saying stuff about how these blokes will know tons of other rich people to get investment in as they climb the leagues, when the fuck does that happen? They’ve got these two chancers who cannot afford to actually buy the club, that’s who they have, making up ridiculous stuff about foreign investment or “ooooh but these two KNOW people” all football owners know other rich people it’s not something that’s unique to Del Boy and Boycie. 

It’s also still funny that they’re trying to make the fact this Methven is some type of PR bloke an amazing thing for them. They honestly think Short didn’t have PR people, or that their club didn’t have PR staff? It means absolutely fuck all, which in footballing terms is precisely the net worth of these two carpet baggers. 

This just gets better and better.

8 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

What the fuck is this all about?  Can't be true can it? :lol:

That's what "the Don" said on his podcast apparently, according to the SMB. Rather than set off alarm bells, they love the idea. Currently debating whether health and safety will allow it.

:unsure: <_<:icon_lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Renton said:

That's what "the Don" said on his podcast apparently, according to the SMB. Rather than set off alarm bells, they love the idea. Currently debating whether health and safety will allow it.

:unsure: <_<:icon_lol::lol:

Jesus fucking wept.  They have no self awareness at all.  They confidently predict they will get promotion at the first time of asking despite not having a clue who there manager will be, what players they'll have left and what money they will have to spend and nothing that has come out about the deal suggesting that they will have anything great pumped into the club financially.  This after their previous owner thinking it was a better bet writing off circa £100m of debt than keeping them and trying to claw it back.  Tbf the one thing they've got going for them now is that people are at last interested in them to an extent.  They're like those pictures going round of Sonia from Eastenders.  You know they're fucking awful but you can't look away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

They're like those pictures going round of Sonia from Eastenders.  You know they're fucking awful but you can't look away.

The internet has gone too far.

4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Jesus fucking wept.  They have no self awareness at all.  They confidently predict they will get promotion at the first time of asking despite not having a clue who there manager will be, what players they'll have left and what money they will have to spend and nothing that has come out about the deal suggesting that they will have anything great pumped into the club financially.  This after their previous owner thinking it was a better bet writing off circa £100m of debt than keeping them and trying to claw it back.  Tbf the one thing they've got going for them now is that people are at last interested in them to an extent.  They're like those pictures going round of Sonia from Eastenders.  You know they're fucking awful but you can't look away.

:spit:

(seriously though, what pictures??) :whistle:

• Like 2

I’ve no idea how they can be confident of promotion when their team has been averaging something like 6 wins for the last two seasons, add to that DK’s points that they have no idea what the make up of their squad will be or even who the manager is. 

They've been told there will be a big budget compared to other clubs (shouldn't be difficult) and with a half decent manager they should get promotion at first time of asking. They've done well getting Ellis to write of the amount of debt they have. Hopefully they'll rot though.

38 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:spit:

(seriously though, what pictures??) :whistle:

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately for you) they aren't her doing anything too explicit.  Just the usual type with her kit off.  Someone sent them in a whatsapp group I'm in and I didn't delete them quickly enough so I now see them every time I close my eyes :(

3 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately for you) they aren't her doing anything too explicit.  Just the usual type with her kit off.  Someone sent them in a whatsapp group I'm in and I didn't delete them quickly enough so I now see them every time I close my eyes :(

I bet you do you dirty boy.

romain+duris+jerking+off.gif

Them being excited about this takeover is like being excited about going to a Harvester. I know Short is vilified on Wearside, but he fired managers they wanted rid of, backed the new manager in the windows, and covered their cash shortfalls out of his own pocket. Now they've got a bloke who's apparently pretty frugal, who can't back the manager in the windows to anything like the same degree, and surely isn't able to cover the shortfalls that Short took on. 

£40m is nowt for a recent Premier League club, with a 40k+ stadium, and all the trappings of a top flight club. It doesn't sound like he's backed by billionaires, the fans will sharp fuck off if results don't go their way (plenty of them won't be going back either way), so where's the money coming from to cover their costs? I mean Rodwell's annual wage is £2.08m alone.

FWIW this new owner might have enough to make them competitive in the 3rd tier, he might even oversee a promotion within the next few years, but he hasn't the finances to be able to fund a rapid return to the Premier League, and the longer they're away from the riches the top flight provides, the harder it will be to return. Every season, the teams in the top flight grow richer, the teams who yo-yo between the leagues grow richer. The Championship is quicksand and they're going to have to crawl out of a tarpit just to get there. 

Just had a quick nosey around and in 2016 Sunderland employed 480 people. I'm guessing the figure is lower now, but their owner's modest wealth will be stretched pretty thin to cover even half of that number.