mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I don’t think they’ve ever left Sunderland.

The “can I follow a coach all the way to Wembley” & “how do I get on a train” questions pretty much confirm that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

:lol: They really are a gift that keeps on giving. All this clart on for the fucking Trotter Independent Trading Co Cup, our youth team were in it man. Iirc Pompey are taking as many as them but the way they’re going on you’d think it’s some phenomenal flood of support of which the world has never seen. I’d be more impressed if they filled their own ground the bunch of scruffs. 

• Haha 3

I’m torn, to be honest- It’ll be fucking hilarious if they go down and get their arses handed to them, but the comedic value of them actually winning and celebrating the fucking thing might just top it. 

:D

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m torn, to be honest- It’ll be fucking hilarious if they go down and get their arses handed to them, but the comedic value of them actually winning and celebrating the fucking thing might just top it. 

:D

It's a win win!

The makems could have sold 150,000 tickets you know. Oh aye. The most loyal fans in football wanted 150,000 tickets, the same allocation as they received for the 1973 Cup final. sunlun til I die marra. Now without checking I'm sure their attendance before their 3rd  round tie against Notts County in the 1972/73 season was around the 12,573 mark.Brighton may well have been the opposition. Don't quote me on that. A poster on rtg said there were less than 100 makems at the Notts County Cup game. Loyal as fuck they are and always have been. Within a year of winning the cup I'm sure only 8,142 turned up at Joker Park to see then play Pompey. My memory isn't what it used to be so these figures could be wrong. 27-3-70.

:lol:

As an aside, finally getting round to watching the Netflix documentary and I'm buckled in the first minute. An actual sermon about their shit football team, intercut with images of some speccy kid pointing at his napper, screaming "FUCKING THINK ABOUT IT!" as Billy Jones looks on, almost in tears. What a crease this is going to be.

• Haha 3

I think we decided that he wasn't a mackem because he was good humoured about the accusations instead of wildly defensive. Also, as far as I can tell, he isn't supportive of Mike Ashley (the usual giveaway).

On 25/03/2019 at 23:09, Howay said:

:lol: They really are a gift that keeps on giving. All this clart on for the fucking Trotter Independent Trading Co Cup, our youth team were in it man. Iirc Pompey are taking as many as them but the way they’re going on you’d think it’s some phenomenal flood of support of which the world has never seen. I’d be more impressed if they filled their own ground the bunch of scruffs. 

That’s the thing for me. Like having to close parts of the ground for league games yet there being a massive interest in tickets for a cup final is some sort of indication as to their having an amazing fan base. It’s the opposite of that, you stupid cunts. Their support was awful last season too. Even those that went created a poisonous atmosphere. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

That’s the thing for me. Like having to close parts of the ground for league games yet there being a massive interest in tickets for a cup final is some sort of indication as to their having an amazing fan base. It’s the opposite of that, you stupid cunts. Their support was awful last season too. Even those that went created a poisonous atmosphere. 

Watching the Netflix thing shows just how toxic that place was. 

Looks like they'll be around the play off spots, which is surely an indication that they're not being terrifically well run:

• With the money they had they could and should have overhauled the club. Instead, they're still relying on Lee fucking Cattermole.
  • Last two seasons they've sold their top goal scorers midway through the season. Which, when you're gunning for promotion/survival, is bonkers. A quick look at the table shows they're good defensively, but pretty shit up front. 
  • If they don't get promoted, which is entirely possible, their next step will have to be further cost cutting, which further limits their ability to compete at the upper reaches of the 3rd division.